Author Topic: Retro?  (Read 6084 times)

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #45 on: November 01, 2020, 06:01:57 pm
tell the old geezer it's an 'improved classic'. absent the oil drips but actually includes brakes. that should fire him up.

Ah, oil leaks and brakeless riding...like my old iron barrell  Bullet... which wasn't a classic either  :D

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #46 on: November 01, 2020, 09:13:28 pm
Stopped by the side of the road to check my route the other day, I was on the receiving end of a lesson in the difference between retro and classic.
An oul' lad about my age,  but revelling in it, in tweeds, flat cap and accessory walking stick, shuffled up, gazed admiringly at my orange beauty and exclaimed theatrically,  'A classic?', before answering his own question, 'No. Not a classic,' then harrumphing and walking off.  ;D
It made a change from the usual encounter with random blokes of a certain vintage!
The implication, of course, is that retro riders are frauds, little better than those damned hipsters.
I'm sure there are quite a few in that category, but the appeal of the Interceptor for me is its refined simplicity. If that harks back to a past before I got into bikes, that's ok with me.

Classic isn't defined by age, IMHO.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #47 on: November 01, 2020, 10:16:47 pm
Stopped by the side of the road to check my route the other day, I was on the receiving end of a lesson in the difference between retro and classic.
An oul' lad about my age,  but revelling in it, in tweeds, flat cap and accessory walking stick, shuffled up, gazed admiringly at my orange beauty and exclaimed theatrically,  'A classic?', before answering his own question, 'No. Not a classic,' then harrumphing and walking off.  ;D
It made a change from the usual encounter with random blokes of a certain vintage!
The implication, of course, is that retro riders are frauds, little better than those damned hipsters.
I'm sure there are quite a few in that category, but the appeal of the Interceptor for me is its refined simplicity. If that harks back to a past before I got into bikes, that's ok with me.

Classic reaction from a know-it-all non rider  ;)
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #48 on: November 02, 2020, 02:32:14 am
Oh, was it Donegal Tweed or Harris Tweed?

eddiesgirl

• The only girl here.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Ventura, CA
Reply #49 on: November 02, 2020, 03:48:05 am
If I loved to wrench and still felt the "joy of breaking down and figuring it out on the road", I'd still own my old VW, white-knuckling everywhere I went, the coolest thing about it being the entire tool set in back and a fair knowledge of what to do WHEN I brake down.  Those days are gone.

I love that my baby RUNS. Mr. Tweed and anyone else can have his opinions. I'm busy actually getting somewhere.
2020 INT 650 Silver Spectre

Ventura, CA, USA

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #50 on: November 02, 2020, 04:28:52 am
If I loved to wrench and still felt the "joy of breaking down and figuring it out on the road", I'd still own my old VW, white-knuckling everywhere I went, the coolest thing about it being the entire tool set in back and a fair knowledge of what to do WHEN I brake down.  Those days are gone.

I love that my baby RUNS. Mr. Tweed and anyone else can have his opinions. I'm busy actually getting somewhere.
Ah that takes me back! I LOVED my old ‘64 VW beetle ragtop! Had a lot of fun in that little beastie.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...