Author Topic: Any Trouble with Heated Jacket/Gear?  (Read 9003 times)

davefry

• Scooter
on: October 06, 2020, 02:36:41 am
Has anyone had any trouble with using heat gear?

Thinking about a jacket like this, says 75 Watt / 7 AMP draw - is that too much for the 650? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N6N5YPH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 09:03:18 am
The manual recommends AGAINST adding high draw equipment.....that doesn't mean it won't work.  But beware.

Cookie

Thinking about a jacket like this, says 75 Watt / 7 AMP draw - is that too much for the 650? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N6N5YPH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

cyril31

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 10:23:46 am
IMHO this jacket is not the way to go

You can get heating pads from chinese to sew in your vest or to put in pockets, for very cheap, if you want to go that route. I'd suggest putting the pads closer to your body than on the external jacket though. They will consume a lot less to provide a similar comfort. Here are some links you may find useful:

a jacket, powered by a USB bank (good for short trips i guess. It is a resistor so you need to connect them in serial instead of parallel to lower amps if you connect them on 12V )
https://www.banggood.com/fr/9-Heating-Pads-USB-Electric-Heated-Vest-Jacket-Warm-Body-Warmer-Pad-Winter-Thermal-p-1593163.html?akmClientCountry=FR&rmmds=buy&ID=3258&cur_warehouse=CN

pads to saw / install in pocket, USB powered again:
https://www.banggood.com/fr/9W-5-12V-USB-Heating-5-Pads-3-Gears-Thermal-Vest-Heated-Jacket-Motorcycle-Warm-Winter-p-1363763.html?rmmds=buy&cur_warehouse=UK

I could not change the language to english, it seems it does it from the location. I bought a lot of stuff from this website so i know they are ok. It is the usual chinese "you get what you pay for" though.

From experience, most of the cold comes from extremities, so if you do not have any heating gear, i suggest you get heating gloves and soles first. The most effective way to fight cold on your hands is also the ugliest and can be dangerous. I do not know how they are called in english, so here is a link to a product on amazon.fr .

https://www.amazon.fr/Manchons-chauffants-moto-quad-scooter/dp/B00FXDRBHO

The next "cold" parts are legs. You have options to passively fight cold on your torso by adding fine cloth layers made to fight cold.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 10:55:23 am

Looks heavy duty. I have a cheaper Chinese jacket with just three small heat panels and I can only use it on the lowest setting if I don't want to bake. I've used it with a small power bank a few times and it has never run out of juice. Actually really well made too.

That takes care of the core. Combined with heated grips and decent lined trousers, I've never felt cold. That said, it rarely gets properly continental cold here.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 11:34:49 am
That looks like a good jacket / liner. I've never used that brand. I like that it has a heated neck collar. I like that it folds down to a small pouch. It has full coverage heating elements which includes the kidneys. The kidneys are the path to both heat and cooling as they are most blood filled organ closest to your skin.

One thing most folks agree on is that our knee caps get very cold. And the stay cold for a long time. Personally, I wear hard knee shin guards under my jeans (summer and winter). Lots of choices at various price points. https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-and-accessories/protective-gear/knee-shin-guards/a22

Electrics help a lot when you have to grind out miles in the cold. They keep your shoulders and back from cramping. They keep your mind free to concentrate on riding.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 11:58:48 am
I've never felt the need for a heated jacket....I dress in layers and stay pretty warm in the core...

But my hands freeze up easily!  I have tried many pair of insulated gloves...some better than others but all let me down in short order.

I've been considering heated gloves (battery type) but all of the reviews say they work only in slightly cold weather...that when it get really cold they just don't keep up.

Also many reviews say that the gloves ended up being of poor quality...

Any suggestions!

Cookie

davefry

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 02:25:01 pm
Thank you for the help and advice!

Reading some other threads in here, it sounds like 147 watts as output is low. Not wanting to risk possibly stranding myself with a dead battery, I'm going to go with a vest that runs on a battery pack instead.

Got a 800 mile trip through northern Michigan planned for this weekend. =)

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 02:56:04 pm
Thank you for the help and advice!

Reading some other threads in here, it sounds like 147 watts as output is low. Not wanting to risk possibly stranding myself with a dead battery, I'm going to go with a vest that runs on a battery pack instead.

Got a 800 mile trip through northern Michigan planned for this weekend. =)

Nice! My wife's folks are from mid-Michigan. Had to do a pandemic lockdown defying road trip in May to help clean up from flood damage.

You're going all the way to the bridge but not going over? OK, on a bike I totally understand that. October winds make it mighty dicey - often they will partner up an 18-wheeler with you to shield from the wind. And that open grate deck plating is pretty spooky.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 03:23:05 pm
I posed this same question a few weeks back on here, but for a different brand (hotwired, available on revzilla). A few other members said it should be no problem so I ordered it a couple days ago in anticipation of the colder weather coming. I will update with how it all shakes out. Now I’m a little concerned about the battery but we shall see.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 03:47:46 pm
I posed this same question a few weeks back on here, but for a different brand (hotwired, available on revzilla). A few other members said it should be no problem so I ordered it a couple days ago in anticipation of the colder weather coming. I will update with how it all shakes out. Now I’m a little concerned about the battery but we shall see.

I'm from the camp of not worrying about it.
Remember, if you are going to also add a usb power port(not for your e-jacket) you can get those with a built in volt meter. That 147 number is at idle.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

cyril31

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 03:59:56 pm
Idle alternator power on a bike is a bit not that important, it will be higher when moving. You still need power for ECU, ignition, fuel pump and injectors command, and this is basically what idle power is about.

To be honest, 75W heating is MASSIVE when in a jacket. 10 to 20 ? Yes, that should be ok. More ... not really.

I used to only drive a bike and no car for years, so i drove in lots of weather, including snow and sub zero tempertures.

I tried various stuff and really, for long trips, the stuff that goes on the handle bar around the grips and lever is the best you can do for the hands. It is called "manchon" in french, no idea how it is called in english. They are mostly seen on scooters, and now exist with heating too. Nothing could beat that for the hands when they had no heating, so i guess with it, it will be perfect. I tried heated grips,  which is nice but does not heat the hand part exposed to wind, heated gloves which usually do not heat fingers either

For the torso, a couple of 5 to 10W pads is enough. It needs to be under insulation, not on top of it, so not in the jacket. In the cold you need clothes made to keep the heat. Equiping many heating pads without much insulation does not really work, it will burn locally and freeze everywhere else. This will clearly happen if you fit 75W worth of pads on a jacket. There really is no point doing this, you want the heat pads much closer to your skin.

Battery powered soles with overshoes to cut out wind and overpants to cut both wind and humidity are very good choices. You could fit battery powered heating pads on your thighs, i never tested that because my bikes used to heat there enough or have fairings protecting that area enough, but i think on a RE650, that could be welcome.

You are going to need some batteries, and pouches to store them on yourself though. But it is worth it: you will still be warm while refueling  ;D

Last thing, I test fitted an aftermarket car seat heater at home, on my gaming chair. It has 2 heat modes, 12W and 24W. I cannot even sit on the chair at 24W... so i'd rather not be in a 75W jacket.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 04:08:56 pm
Cyril said "for the hands. It is called "manchon" in french, no idea how it is called in english. "
In the states they are often called "Hippo Hands" (a brand). There are many brands and a lot of choices in the snow mobile sector. Remember, to look carefully as to how they deal with the mirrors and that they have an internal stiffener so that the wind isn't slightly applying your front brake. Some folks also use "bark busters" like on dirt bikes to hold them out when at speed.
They really work well and if you add heated grips _ you can ride to the North Pole ;)

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 04:17:59 pm
Cyril said "for the hands. It is called "manchon" in french, no idea how it is called in english. "
In the states they are often called "Hippo Hands" (a brand). T
They're muffs.

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 05:22:52 pm
Hopefully someone can enlighten me. What exactly is the theoretical problem with a 75w draw on the battery? I know next to nothing about electronics by the way. I couldn’t even tell you the difference between volts and amps. I guess I just don’t understand why they would make this stuff for motorcycle batteries to power them if it’s not feasible. Or is it just a matter of the RE 650 battery being insufficient in some way?

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 07:13:31 pm
I use warm and safe brand electrically heated stuff for motorcycles etc. I have a 90 watt jacket and I think the gloves are around 26 watts. I have insoles too but rarely use. the gloves plug into the jacket via wires that are secured in zippered pockets in each sleeve. A controller regulates heat level. Not sure if there are enough watts on the 650s. You can query royal enfield on their website re excess watts for heated gear but they never answer my queries. heated gear is de rigueur for motorcycles etc.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.