Author Topic: Spark Plug for Classic C5  (Read 22143 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 05:46:53 pm
You have to modify until it becomes unreliable then bitch about the un-reliablity!!!

If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, well, it needed to be replaced anyway :)

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Reply #46 on: July 10, 2012, 07:46:16 pm
Hello,just for the record,have binned the Bosch and put in the NGK bpr6es as recommended by the guys on this forum.Stan is running sweet,short or long trips so we are both happy.X
Adventure before dementia

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #47 on: July 12, 2012, 01:39:41 am
I swapped out my plug tonight.  It had a BR8ES in it.  I noticed it seemed to lose a bit of power on the ride home today, struggling up some of the slight hills.  It still ran smoothly and idled fine.  I put in the BPR6ES.  I'll report back after tomorrow's commute.
Cromwell, CT
SaddleSore 1000 completed on a C5

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 05:25:37 pm
I'm happy to report that the power has been restored with the plug change. The bike does run smoother, too. I noticed that I could actually see things in my mirrors at 65 mph. The throttle response is greatly improved. Transitioning from off-throttle to on used to have a delay of 1-2 seconds before acceleration would begin. It's always been there, so I thought it was just part of the bike's nature or due to the simple EFI mapping. Not any more! Throttle response is greatly improved, and it now transitions as fast or faster than every other bike I've ridden.
Cromwell, CT
SaddleSore 1000 completed on a C5

dynamyt

• So many bikes, so little time!!
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather ride in thunder storms than go to work!
Reply #49 on: July 24, 2012, 02:59:31 am
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, well, it needed to be replaced anyway :)

"If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer"  ;D
"Square peg in a round hole, no problem. Oh, you meant it had to STAY square."   :o
Ride Fast, Take Chances
Everywhere I go, there I am...

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: July 24, 2012, 03:49:08 am
"If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer"  ;D
"Square peg in a round hole, no problem. Oh, you meant it had to STAY square."   :o

MEGANUKE :) can you put a picture of your BPR8ES for reference purpose. Cheers. R

JezzC

• Scooter
Reply #51 on: February 14, 2020, 08:24:19 am
I know it is resurrecting an ancient thread ...
Since getting my 500 C5  last year I have been avidly reading all the great info on this forum. When I got my bike I serviced it and replaced the spark plug with another Bosch twin electrode. I haven't had any problems with this plug but reading this thread recently I thought I would get an NGK BPR6ES and see how the bike likes it.
It is winter here in the UK and I found that with the NGK  until the bike  really warmed up it ran awfully, spluttering and stalling.  I can only guess that the twin electrode somehow performs better in cold conditions when the engine hasn't warmed up? I refitted the bosch and my problems went away. I have since out of curiosity fitted an NGK iridium plug and the engine ticks over and runs  as well as the bosch  and maybe better.
Anyway, hopefully my experience my be useful to any new UCE  owners.

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #52 on: February 15, 2020, 09:01:38 am
What is the NGK code for that plug and did you adjust the gap?

JezzC

• Scooter
Reply #53 on: February 15, 2020, 09:07:17 am
What is the NGK code for that plug and did you adjust the gap?

The plug was a BPR6ES and I set the gap to 0.7mm

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #54 on: February 15, 2020, 10:16:27 am
Sorry, I meant the iridium plug  :)

JezzC

• Scooter
Reply #55 on: February 15, 2020, 11:13:43 am
Sorry, I meant the iridium plug  :)

The iridium is an NGK BPR6EIX and the gap is left as it comes

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #56 on: February 15, 2020, 12:06:21 pm
Thanks

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: February 15, 2020, 11:58:00 pm
   When my motor was stock , I never had a problem with the stock Bosch plug either.    I think a BPR6ES is fine, but a BPR5ES  is better IMHO... the electrode will stay cleaner in cool weather when the fuel is harder to vaporize.   It will stay cleaner and less prone to fouling .    Autolite 63 is a good plug as well.

A good read....

https://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/ignition-electronics-efi/the-great-spark-plug-debate-separating-fact-from-opinion/

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

JezzC

• Scooter
Reply #58 on: February 16, 2020, 08:12:28 am
Thanks for the link, an interesting read.
At least with only one plug it isn't much of an outlay upgrading a bullet to iridium :)

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #59 on: February 16, 2020, 03:08:11 pm
At least with only one plug it isn't much of an outlay upgrading a bullet to iridium :)
Lets face it, an iridium plug on a standard Bullet is an expensive solution looking for a problem. Mine runs just fine on the standard Bosch.

Frank