Author Topic: Retro or modern riding gear?  (Read 4822 times)

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 10:30:56 am
Back in the late seventies when I was wearing open faced helmets, my brother in law was wearing a full face helmet.
He had an accident when he had a front tyre go flat. He landed face first in the road, the front of the helmet was all chewed up but it did it's job and he was un marked. My helmet went in the bin the next day. I wouldn't ride a bike without a full face helmet. When parts of you and the road meet there is only one winner.
True story. In the late 70’s all of my crowd wore full faces. Wouldn’t be seen dead in one of those crappy old opens. Except for 1 friend. Then he bought a big Suzi and all the kit to suit, including new Bell full face.
A couple of months later, he was run off the road, hit a tree whilst airborne over a bank, and copped a tree branch straight through his visor. Massive damage, top jaw broken away from skull, etc. recovered, thankfully, but a long road back.
We’d ribbed him for ages about his open face helmet, then this!
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 10:45:01 am
Wow Gizzo I didn't know you looked like Gumby
Yeah,  you think you know someone, huh?  ;D
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 12:21:37 pm
Back in the late seventies when I was wearing open faced helmets, my brother in law was wearing a full face helmet.
He had an accident when he had a front tyre go flat. He landed face first in the road, the front of the helmet was all chewed up but it did it's job and he was un marked. My helmet went in the bin the next day. I wouldn't ride a bike without a full face helmet. When parts of you and the road meet there is only one winner.
Back in the late sixties, for enduros a few of us added (American) football face guards to our open face helmets. The objective then was protection from tree branches in the woods.
    I'd love to have a full face with a clear acrylic chin guard.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 20, 2021, 12:35:11 pm
Most of my riding gear is probably older than a lot of the forum members.  ;D
Because I wear glasses I find an open face helmet with flat shield to be the most comfortable option. But I do wear full face helmets on occasion and a full face MX style helmet in the woods.

My go to jackets are an old Joe Rocket textile/leather in the warm months, a Belstaff in the fall, and a First Gear textile in "fire truck green" for touring and general chilly weather use. I wear SIDI boots that are almost 40 years old or work boots depending on my mood. And for gloves I wear deerskin in the summer, and lined dedicated winter riding gloves from Alpine Star in the cold.

FWIW I replace my helmets every 3-5 years. Or whenever they hit the ground.

Steve Jackson

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 02:00:57 pm
I use this picture to keep the rodents away. Bell open face with goggles over glasses. I really wanted a more WW II look but was afraid they wouldn't be compatible with the glasses. I have an Arai full face also, but have very thin titanium frameless glasses which are a pain to thread into the helmet.
We're not happy till you're not happy.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 02:12:26 pm
Yeah,  you think you know someone, huh?  ;D

Well gizzo, I have to say that I find your new look strangely attractive.  It's very brave to reveal "your truth" ;D

Seatex

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: June 20, 2021, 02:31:56 pm
I usually wear an open face with drop down tinted visor and some kind of neck muff/face mask arrangement, kevlar lined pants, hiking boots, and either retro looking textile, leather Brando style or waxed cotton Dririder jacket, depending on weather, mood etc.

Touring, I'm wearing the textile jacket ('cause waterproof and insulated if needs be) and matching textile touring pants with boots. Kabuto Kamui full face lid.

If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll chuck on the Berik onesie and road race boots but it does look a bit daft on a classic bike away from the track.
I love waxed cotton jackets. I went with a Walker and Hawkes (not motorcycle specific) because I'm too cheap to get the Barbour. While it would look great when riding a Royal Enfield, I may never do so. I ride for pleasure and live in Texas where I get enough sunny days that I can be selective about the conditions I ride in.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #22 on: June 20, 2021, 02:36:13 pm
Well gizzo, I have to say that I find your new look strangely attractive.  It's very brave to reveal "your truth" ;D

Thanks, Mr Straw. I am a good looking rooster. But it's hard to find a good fitting helmet with a head shaped like the back end of a boogie board.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #23 on: June 20, 2021, 06:00:24 pm
Wow Gizzo I didn't know you looked like Gumby

C'mon! We all know  what he's into...

That horse ain't the only one who's "Pokey".

But getting back on topic, by coincidence I just happen to be rewaxing my old Belstaff Trialmaster today. So, I suppose you can tick me off in the "retro gear" column, though I do have some clearance-bought mesh thing for summers.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:23:57 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #24 on: June 20, 2021, 06:45:51 pm
Just curious about what folks wear when they ride. I just purchased a (new) 70's style helmet and it made me wonder a bit about others. I know many of us bought our RE because they have, for lack of a better word, "soul". These bikes capture and era and experience while providing EFI and ABS at a very attractive price point.
So do y'all carry over that nostalgia into your riding gear, or do you favor modern styles, armor (yes, I use the American spelling), etc. ?
I'm personally very excited about my new (arriving soon) Torc T1. I think the gold color will nicely compliment the gold stripes on my tank.

I went the other direction, sorta. Modern Shoei RF1200 and Alpinestars Leonis Drystar jacket in black/hi-viz. I do wear riding jeans and Falco Aviator boots. So I guess it's kind of a mix between retro and modern.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:48:25 pm by mwmosser »
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

Dutch Rider

• Grease Monkey
  • Netherlands
RE Interceptor, 2021.
Ducati Mille MHR Special, 1985.
Kawasaki 750 Mach IV, 1973.
Garelli Record 50CC, 1969.

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #26 on: June 20, 2021, 07:01:30 pm
function over form for me. all the gear always. full face etc. I did wear a belstaff waxed cotton jacket/pants at one time. It's been in the closet for 30 years. Just sold it on ebay. Buyer was happy, was impressed with the quality of yesteryear.

ha those are cool condoms!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 07:06:41 pm by ceekay »
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #27 on: June 20, 2021, 10:25:51 pm
C'mon! We all know  what he's into...

That horse ain't the only one who's "Pokey".

That's not the helmet I was thinking of....
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #28 on: June 20, 2021, 11:48:40 pm
That's not the helmet I was thinking of....
Maybe Gumby’s mate Pokey would be more desirable….?
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #29 on: June 20, 2021, 11:53:36 pm
Pokey's a good sport.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E