Author Topic: Here's an interesting tire story  (Read 1071 times)

bikelee

• Scooter
on: June 10, 2021, 02:29:14 pm
I brought my Interceptor in for its 300 mile service and they found out that the front tire was BAD ( I told them when i dropped off the bike the that front end felt bouncy between 40-50 mph). I knew the front end felt funny. They said the tire had a flat spot from day one and are gonna replace it under the warranty.
Aren't they supposed to check for kind of thing at the factory level or at least when they set up the bike ??
I'm glad I'll be able to do most of the work myself on this machine.
Anybody else have an experience like this ?

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 05:30:40 pm
Aren't they supposed to check for kind of thing at the factory level or at least when they set up the bike ??

I don't know but one thing for sure is that your mechanic's dealer is supposed to have a few minutes ride with the bike before delivery to the customer, to just check for that kind of issue ! Here, for cars or bikes, we have a line on the invoice saying "essai routier" (road test) but how to check if it's been done ...

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 05:31:44 pm
I'm glad I'll be able to do most of the work myself on this machine.

So am I !

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 05:32:41 pm
Just by curiosity, brazilian Pirelli or CEAT ?

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 06:16:10 pm
I don't know but one thing for sure is that your mechanic's dealer is supposed to have a few minutes ride with the bike before delivery to the customer, to just check for that kind of issue ! Here, for cars or bikes, we have a line on the invoice saying "essai routier" (road test) but how to check if it's been done ...

Set your odometer to zero before you leave the dealership. A routine road test should be around 5 miles, more involved work may see more mileage.
On a brand new bike just check the odometer, if it reads less than a mile you know it never got ridden or at best was ridden around the parking lot. Personally I'd prefer that they not ride my bike, and would only bring it to a shop I trusted with my life, or for warranty work.

For the record I spent over 30 years in the motorcycle industry starting as a mechanic and ending up as a technical editor, so I've seen just about all of it. So far ;)

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 09:12:32 pm
Set your odometer to zero before you leave the dealership.

Of course, stupid am I ! I'm too confident ...

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 10:31:27 pm
Of course, stupid am I ! I'm too confident ...
I wouldn't say stupid at all, maybe just to trusting? But when you've been on both sides of the service counter you pick up a few tricks here and there.  ;)

bikelee

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 02:54:52 pm
 8) CEAT tires. I bought some Bridgestone BT46s to replace the CEAT tires. I'll report back to see how they work out.