Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 3006 times)

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 05:41:34 pm
Yes, that is what I am hoping for!

I see there are two versions.  One is stitched in a ribbed pattern, the other in a diamond pattern similar to the stock seat.  Which one do you have? TIA

The now seems to be V1 diamond stitch and V2 ribbed.

I have the original diamond touring seat. The diamond ones seem to sell for less right now.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 06:11:36 pm
I do get some false neutrals as well but more  alarming in the moment is the real neutral i hit between 5th and 6th and a few other spots, usually always when i really need to be in the gear I'm shifting to.

I think it may be the cable. Easy enough but i keep.searching for the right tension. All feels.perfect until it doesn't,  suddenly

Its the only bad thing I've experienced

YellowDuck

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 07:04:56 pm
I do get some false neutrals as well but more  alarming in the moment is the real neutral i hit between 5th and 6th and a few other spots, usually always when i really need to be in the gear I'm shifting to.

I think it may be the cable. Easy enough but i keep.searching for the right tension. All feels.perfect until it doesn't,  suddenly

Ha ha...I think we have a terminology disconnect.  For me, a false neutral is any one you find that is not between 1 and 2...   If you are not in any gear while shifting between 5 and 6, that is a false neutral.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 08:31:28 pm

First, make sure your shift pedal is properly adjusted. It should just take a twitch of the toe to shift, if the shift lever is too high or too low for your foot it's difficult to make clean shifts.

As to clutch cable free play. First, back sure the little wire guide that holds the clutch cable is adjusted so the cable fits square in the lever end. If it doesn't the free play will never be right.  Clutch cable free play should be adjusted with the engine cold and should be 2mm to 3mm  (1/8th of an inch) measured at the lever, the owners manual may show it, if not there are hundreds of you tube videos. If you can't seem to get the adjustment correct grab the straw from an aerosol can, typically those are 2 to 3 mm. I think the ones from a can of WD40 are exactly 3 mm, and use it as feeler gauge to measure your free play.  A little tighter is is okay, but you can't have it so tight that it preloads the pressure plate. By and large these bikes shift fine, in my experience a missed shift is usually caused by rider error, i.e. "lazy foot syndrome."

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 10:27:28 pm
Ha ha...I think we have a terminology disconnect.  For me, a false neutral is any one you find that is not between 1 and 2...   If you are not in any gear while shifting between 5 and 6, that is a false neutral.

I was counting false neutrals as the N light coming on when I'm clearly rolling down the road in gear.  which happens as well.  What also happens every now and then is I'll be riding at a good clip nit intending to shift, foot off the lever and it drops into Neutral without any input from me.  I'm quite sure it's the cable play though

Also, the clutch cable adjustment.  I may be just a bit more than 2-3mm.  I'll need to play with it again.  The manual does show it, I thought it was 4mm in the manual

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 01:11:02 am
I was counting false neutrals as the N light coming on when I'm clearly rolling down the road in gear.  which happens as well.  What also happens every now and then is I'll be riding at a good clip nit intending to shift, foot off the lever and it drops into Neutral without any input from me.  I'm quite sure it's the cable play though

Also, the clutch cable adjustment.  I may be just a bit more than 2-3mm.  I'll need to play with it again.  The manual does show it, I thought it was 4mm in the manual

If the neutral light is coming on when the bike is in gear you've got a problem with either the neutral light switch or it's wiring. I'm not familiar with the details on either but I'm sure the manual hits the high points. Regardless that has nothing to do with clutch cable free play.

Likewise if the transmission is dropping out of gear when it's under a load, there is something more serious going on than a slack cable. If that's what's really happening and you're not simply missing a gear now and then or failing to fully engage one during a shift you've got a potentially serious problem on your hands. Again I haven't read through the transmission section of the manual, let alone had one apart, so it might be minor issue, but in my experience when a tranny starts popping out of gear unprovoked and under load, it's almost always due to internal mechanical problems and all the clutch cable adjustment in the world won't help.

If you can verify that it's dropping out under load I'd get it to nearest dealer while it's still under warranty.

YellowDuck

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: June 09, 2021, 07:31:03 pm
Another update:

1500 km now.  Using the whole rev range on occasion and the motor has continued to loosen up and feels quite strong now.  Also, I am not getting any false neutrals at all anymore.  Not sure if the gearbox broke itself in, or if it just educated me as to what it wants from the rider.

Touring seat is an improvement but I'd still need a break if I rode for more than about 2 h I think.

Sintered brake pads made a big difference!  I am also trying to train myself to use the rear brake regularly, something that was not previously part of my "style".

I am really adapting to the wide bars and feel a lot more confident in the subtle feedback they are giving me.  I just needed to get used to it, it's so different from a sportbike.  The Pirellis still do weird shit, especially the rear when accelerating hard out of a slow corner, but it doesn't phase me anymore because I know to expect it.

I am in the habit of going for early morning rides before work, to avoid riding in the heat of the day.  It is so relaxing - with the upright riding position, flexible motor, and reliable gearbox, the bike just asks so little of the rider.

I am taking it really easy on the mods, since I like the bike so much as it is.  I will probably mess around with lighter rear springs, once I can find the time to do some proper sag measurements, etc.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 09, 2021, 08:18:49 pm
Good feedback. I pick mine up in about 3 hours. Can’t wait.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 10:09:45 pm
Good feedback. I pick mine up in about 3 hours. Can’t wait.

Remember.....pictures after you calm down 8)

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 10, 2021, 01:41:23 am
Just got it home. Slightly off putting the white smoke pouring out of the mufflers when I turned it off. I assume it’s oil or something burning off? I’ll post my thoughts in another thread once i have had a chance to ride it a few kms
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

Dutch Rider

• Grease Monkey
  • Netherlands
Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 08:09:05 am
Just got it home. Slightly off putting the white smoke pouring out of the mufflers when I turned it off. I assume it’s oil or something burning off? I’ll post my thoughts in another thread once i have had a chance to ride it a few kms

When I picked up my new Interceptor three weeks ago, and drove it home from the dealer, about a 2 hours drive, the bike sometimes smelled like there was something on fire...noticable even wearing a helmet...
Smell is almost gone now.
RE Interceptor, 2021.
Ducati Mille MHR Special, 1985.
Kawasaki 750 Mach IV, 1973.
Garelli Record 50CC, 1969.