Author Topic: Tec Cannon silencer install problem  (Read 3580 times)

Her Lowness

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 09:50:24 pm
I think I found out the problem.  The left silencer from the base of the bracket to the end of the cone is 9 1/2".  The right silencer's measurement is 9 3/4".  That's about 1/4" difference, and that's about the same as the amount the alignment is off.  I've contacted Tec Bike Parts USA.  Of course, I had to do it by email, couldn't find a phone number, so I hope they're decent enough to reply.  I want to return the longer one.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 10:05:23 pm
Sorry we didn't come up with a solution.  Hoiho is right, must be a QC problem.

Let us know if the return is smooth.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 12:26:17 am
I think I found out the problem.  The left silencer from the base of the bracket to the end of the cone is 9 1/2".  The right silencer's measurement is 9 3/4".  That's about 1/4" difference, and that's about the same as the amount the alignment is off.  I've contacted Tec Bike Parts USA.  Of course, I had to do it by email, couldn't find a phone number, so I hope they're decent enough to reply.  I want to return the longer one.

If their response isn't good enough then contact TEC direct in Britain.

https://www.tecbikeparts.com/

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 03:35:56 pm
Somebody explain how moving the swing arm on it's arc will improve the mounting hole alignment issue. :-\

Perhaps I'm not understanding something (which is not unusual).

Yeah sorry that was terribly written. I was on the ramp getting on a plane.
Using the swingarm arc as an example of how those two holes in the photo will align. It will actually be the exhaust which gets pulled up in an arc.
You can see in the photo that the bracket hole is a tic low and aft.
My solution was to the leave the header connection tight (as was). Have the silencer connection semi tight but not fully rigid. With a little ratchet strap, one click at a time, draw the muffler (from aft of the bracket) to the frame (looped around the top of the shock). Picture an eclipse of the moon (any moon). ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 03:41:29 pm by NVDucati »
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #19 on: June 10, 2021, 05:07:31 pm
I'm still missing something here.  This sounds like an attempt to bend the silencer/header junction in the direction of the mounting hole.  New frontiers in dynamic tension?   I'm not trying to be difficult but this seems like a desperate measure to force fit a faulty part as much as .375".

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 10, 2021, 06:21:31 pm
I'm still missing something here.  This sounds like an attempt to bend the silencer/header junction in the direction of the mounting hole.  New frontiers in dynamic tension?   I'm not trying to be difficult but this seems like a desperate measure to force fit a faulty part as much as .375".

I have to agree with Jack here. Forcing something like this into position puts a ton of stress on it and it will crack in short order. I've seen pipes forced into position like this that didn't last one lap. That mount should be a sliding fit. If it isn't return the pipe, reweld the bracket or attach it with wire (just kidding) but forcing it into position is a recipe for disaster.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 04:01:16 am

I have to agree with Jack here. Forcing something like this into position puts a ton of stress on it and it will crack in short order. I've seen pipes forced into position like this that didn't last one lap. That mount should be a sliding fit. If it isn't return the pipe, reweld the bracket or attach it with wire (just kidding) but forcing it into position is a recipe for disaster.
You and jack Straw are correct. Just for the record, the ratchet strap was not used for force. I could move it into position with my hands. But i could not put the bolt in with my teeth.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 11, 2021, 07:41:31 am
Here's the deal. TEC have a batch of r/h mufflers with the mount incorrectly located, over and out. I know they say to loosen the header pipe but you're not realistically going to cheat 6-8mm that way and not have the r/h side horribly loaded up. I've fitted literally dozens of exhaust systems and some leave a lot to be desired with regards to fit. Termis being some of the worst. A good system should go together smoothly and all the mounts line up easily with the system loose. There should be no reason the lever and ratchet strap anything. Sure some mounts may be at one end of the slotted mount hole and need a little juggling when tightening up the whole system but nothing drastic. The Akra system on my 1198 is by a long way the best fitting system I've ever done, fits absolutely perfectly and each sliding joint is a very neat fit, amazing really.
TEC talk about production tolerances in their video but that's why the muffler mount hole is slotted, to compensate for those tolerances. What your image is showing is un acceptable. Personally I'd be sending it back OR possibly taking 6-8 mm off the end of the header pipe so it fits, depending on how much overlap the header to muffler joint has.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 07:46:39 am by lucky phil »
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 11, 2021, 11:08:15 am
You and jack Straw are correct. Just for the record, the ratchet strap was not used for force. I could move it into position with my hands. But i could not put the bolt in with my teeth.

Knowing something about how you did things I figured there might be more to the story. ;)

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #24 on: June 11, 2021, 02:51:50 pm
Back in the Jurassic I bought a Dunstall 2-1-2 system for my Commando.  It was the worst fitting piece I've ever purchased.
Nothing lined up, the supplied clamps looked like Cold War Eastern Bloc hardware, and once installed it seemed to rub on the frame everywhere.  It never stayed tight, leaked a bit and the mufflers were loud even by the standards of the day. A real p.o.s.

At this same time I was often installing the early 4-1 header systems on the CB series 4 cylinder bikes at Hollywood Honda.
Those Kerker, Action Fours, and Yoshi pieces alway fit nicely and it seemed you could just stand back and throw 'em at the bike with your eyes closed.

Her Lowness

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: June 11, 2021, 06:36:01 pm
Email George and ask for another can. Poor QC.
I emailed Tec USA Bike parts and got a reply from a Dave saying, "Sure, I think we can resolve your issue.  We can send you another muffler and a return postage for the other one."  Great, I thought!  But then no indication on when that would be.  Then this morning I got a notice saying Tec USA was on vacation until June 23!  Oh, I don't think I want to wait that long.  Think I will get the inlet part cut 1/4" or so.  I want to ride not wait a few weeks while there's good riding weather!

drums4money

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: June 11, 2021, 06:54:24 pm
I emailed Tec USA Bike parts and got a reply from a Dave saying, "Sure, I think we can resolve your issue.  We can send you another muffler and a return postage for the other one."  Great, I thought!  But then no indication on when that would be.  Then this morning I got a notice saying Tec USA was on vacation until June 23!  Oh, I don't think I want to wait that long.  Think I will get the inlet part cut 1/4" or so.  I want to ride not wait a few weeks while there's good riding weather!

That's unfortunate.  I also had to bodge my installation for the same mal-alignment.  Although I'm satisfied with the result, I certainly won't recommend TEC exhausts if I'm ever on the panel.  I've put exhausts on Guzzi, Ducati, and MV - somehow they fit like they made for the bike.  Not so with the TEC.
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing. . . . liar.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #27 on: June 11, 2021, 07:46:08 pm

You are the customer. You don't exist for the convenience of the company... the company exists for YOUR convenience.

Call your credit card company and dispute the charge.

Don't modify your bike to accommodate sloppy manufacturing.

Order mufflers from a company that values your business and makes stuff that fits.

grahamfirestorm

• grahamfirestorm
  • Scooter
  • ridden for 53yrs raced in the 70s and 80s
Reply #28 on: June 11, 2021, 08:56:26 pm
Yes dont bodge your bike,send the faulty part back,you may regret cutting the headers to suit.
boss the bike not the other way round.

Jared_Lee

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: June 11, 2021, 10:57:05 pm
I wouldn't assume that the notice indicates the new muffler didn't ship before said vacation. Tec USA always require an acknowledgement that items will not ship until *fill in the date*. Then it always ships ahead of that date.