Author Topic: Tec Cannon silencer install problem  (Read 3577 times)

Her Lowness

• Scooter
on: June 08, 2021, 10:54:23 pm
OK, I got my new Tec Cannon silencers last evening, and today I started installing them (after watching a somewhat helpful YouTube video).  I have the left side on, no problem!  But the right side bracket does not line up at all with the bolt hole on the bike.  The video suggested loosening the top header bolts a little and another bolt in the middle that holds the pipe on.  I did both (and had to do that on the other side, too).  The problem is I've run up against the slot; there is no more room to move, and the bracket hole is still about 3/8" away from the bike bolt hole.  I don't know what to do short of taking the silencer off and hacksawing 1/4" off the end -- which I really don't want to do.  Does anyone have any (helpful) suggestions? Thanks!

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 11:11:42 pm
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the installation. 

It's always a big help to show photos of the specific problem location.  Is the trouble at the rearmost silencer fixing bolt (near the shock absorber)?

justonemore

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 11:21:39 pm
Make sure the muffler doesn't have anything such as dislodged gasket material in the end receiving the header pipe. In other words make sure the muffler can slide "full socket" along the header before trying to bolt into place.

Her Lowness

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 11:40:38 pm
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the installation. 

It's always a big help to show photos of the specific problem location.  Is the trouble at the rearmost silencer fixing bolt (near the shock absorber)?
Yes, it is.  I'll try to get a photo up of it.

Her Lowness

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 11:42:44 pm
Make sure the muffler doesn't have anything such as dislodged gasket material in the end receiving the header pipe. In other words make sure the muffler can slide "full socket" along the header before trying to bolt into place.
  Oh yes, it's all the way in.  I've checked that several times.  I did notice that the receiving header pipe had patches of missing chrome, but that really didn't matter.  It's all the way in.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 11:51:53 pm
If it's the bracket hole on the new silencer that doesn't match up with the frame mounting hole a rat-tail file can be used to elongate the hole if there's enough room on the bracket.

Yeah, a rat-tail is a little crude but it's results we're after.

Her Lowness

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 12:05:38 am
If it's the bracket hole on the new silencer that doesn't match up with the frame mounting hole a rat-tail file can be used to elongate the hole if there's enough room on the bracket.

Yeah, a rat-tail is a little crude but it's results we're after.
  It might take more than a rat-tail file.  :)

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 12:25:14 am
Yeah, that's a huge mis-alignment to fix with a rat-tail.  An ace fabricator could weld on an extension the the stainless bracket but my "roadside-gotta get home" mentality would likely try to take advantage of how big the mounting hole is when the washers and rubber bushings are removed.  Of course that's the Mickey Mouse approach and would be too crude to live with.

Hopefully someone here at the forum will have an idea.  It's hard to believe there's that much production tolerance variation on the bike so that points, perhaps, to a improperly located mounting bracket during the silencer build.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 02:13:19 am
Email George and ask for another can. Poor QC.

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 03:42:18 am
I'm not sure if the bike is out as well. Ive fitted several items with one side mounting perfectly and the other being out by 10mm.. I have a lot of re welded bits hidden from view..If you can trim a bit off the header It might be a go.
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 02:52:44 pm
+1 beagle makes a good point.  .250 to .375 of the joining end of the can should do it and your secret will be safe with us.

Returns are a pain and anyway,  RESULTS COUNT. 8)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 03:16:15 pm
I had similar issue(different brand). I drew the swing arm up with a strap, compressing the shock.. The swing arm travels in a arc.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Liberty Blacksmith

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 04:07:29 pm

Moving the swing arm would seem to be the next try, I would make sure header bolts were as loose as possible, insert a tapered punch (brass would not hurt threads) in the bracket and bolt hole and try to jostle the holes to line up. perhaps you could draw the bracket into alignment with the hole with a 'C' clamp as well.
That's the DIY fix. As a weldor, I would saw off the bracket and move it to bolt hole and re-weld it but realize not everyone is a weldor.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 05:08:37 pm
Somebody explain how moving the swing arm on it's arc will improve the mounting hole alignment issue. :-\

Perhaps I'm not understanding something (which is not unusual).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 05:16:52 pm by Jack Straw »

drums4money

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 07:10:29 pm
I wonder, would shortening by 1/4" from the inlet side of the slip-on bring the can into position with the hole on the foot-rest tab where it mounts?

My TEC system had a similar poor fit- i eliminated the sliding shim-screw mid-way down the pipe and was able to achieve a fit.  Sloppy & poor for the price paid, but a fit nonetheless. 

The others are correct - Swing-arm's got nothing to do with this conundrum.
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing. . . . liar.