Author Topic: Bullet Trials noise/rattle fixed.  (Read 3006 times)

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
on: June 01, 2021, 08:23:26 pm
2020 Bullet Trials now at 2000 miles. I didn't notice much in the way of mechanical noise during the earlier running in stages, but as I gradually built the revs up with increased mileage I started to notice a noise at higher speeds. I thought it was probably the tappets rattling away - this is the first pushrod engined bike I've ever had and like older pushrod engined cars I assumed more top end clatter compared to OHC was a normal feature. Also, reading other posts here it seems that a fair amount of mechanical clatter is normal for these engines - some being worse than others as with the vibration. So as this noise sounded like it was coming from the top end but the bike was running really well with next to no vibration at 60 MPH+ I started to assume it was normal and I'd just have to put up with it even though it was annoying. I had heard mention of other bikes having fuel tank or filler cap rattles so maybe it was that, but on holding down the filler cap with riding I didn't notice much difference in the noise.

Then last weekend while routine fettling I noticed that the handlebar brace cross member was slightly loose. I assumed it had been like this from new and they probably all left the factory like that. On my next ride when I reached around 60 MPH and the noise got louder I reached out and put my hand of the handlebar brace - and the noise stopped completely! A minute's work with an allen key when I got home and my annoying 'top end' rattle was fixed. 2000 miles in and I now have a mechanically quiet bike than will easily go up to 70+ (indicated)with very little vibration. I haven't had it at full throttle so far, but I feel it would probably be happier cruising nearer 60 than 70, but it's nice to have got rid of that noise so I can better hear how the engine is faring.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 09:58:44 pm
Good easy fix :)

Talking of loose things, my friend messaged me the other day with rattle that seemed to come from the top end on his Honda Hornet around 5k rpm. Fine at idle.

I suspected cam chain tensioner, or check all bodywork fastenings. He Had also spoke to a mechanic at great length at the local dealership describing the symptoms who suspected the same thing, bring it in if you like and we'll have a look.

Turned out it was his mobile phone holder on the bars were slightly loose.  ;D

I'm not sure if phoned the mechanic back to explain lol

motigua

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 11:02:40 pm
Must be a thing with the Trials, didn't notice any rattle but discovered loose cross brace when fitting a leather pouch.

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 11:17:40 pm

.... I haven't had it at full throttle so far, but I feel it would probably be happier cruising nearer 60 than 70, but it's nice to have got rid of that noise so I can better hear how the engine is faring.

I find it all happens in the first 3/4 of throttle twist, doesn't seem to be much left for effect beyond that ;D

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 08:11:02 pm
I find it all happens in the first 3/4 of throttle twist, doesn't seem to be much left for effect beyond that ;D
That has been my experience with most my bikes - apart from the 955cc Triumphs, which I never had enough free road space to safely try flat out out.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 10:17:52 pm
Keef Sparrow in his younger years, at speed checking for rattles on his Bonneville...  ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 07:55:46 pm
Keef Sparrow in his younger years, at speed checking for rattles on his Bonneville...  ;D
;D Never had a Bonneville unfortunately. Never had a rattle or any other unwanted noised with my triples - super smooth with those 120° cranks! :D

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 01:20:02 am
i think with these bikes after one real good long run or several short trip to make 200 or more miles - out with the spanners and check over the whole bike -end to end.
usually only takes one bolt in a prime position to upset them. good call on the handlebars

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 02:04:12 am
i think with these bikes after one real good long run or several short trip to make 200 or more miles - out with the spanners and check over the whole bike -end to end.
usually only takes one bolt in a prime position to upset them. good call on the handlebars
I found a couple of the heat shield bolts on the exhaust were loose and rattling - maybe not tightened properly at the factory. Also the metal shield/cover over the starter rattled because it hadn't been tightened down at the factory - the bolt wasn't loose but just hadn't been tightened enough to take up the slack. Apart from those things which were just poor quality assembly on the production line nothing has vibrated loose so far as far as I know. Mine hardly vibrates at all.

I noticed you sold your Trials - why?

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 08:46:06 am
i thought i'd grab a b5 instead while they were still available. hard to get them here as i had one back in 2013 and was curious had they improved since then.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 08:17:20 pm
So have they improved since 2013? I originally wanted a C5, but there were none left in the colour I wanted so the Trials was my second choice, but I am very pleased with it overall and a lot less vibration than I was expecting after reading many people saying they vibrate too much.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 09:55:55 am
i actually think the 013 B5 i had was a far better built bike ;D hate to say it but it was pretty good smooth ride. saying that though i do like the new swing and rear disc with ABS on the euro 4 bikes.
two or 3 years back i thought the euro 4 bikes were faster and better tuned till i pulled the side cover off a new one and found the front sprocket was one tooth smaller...lol so that ruined that!
but i can say i have seen a huge improvement on the wiring of the bikes since 012.
they are a lot neater inside the headlight assembly and in the ecu box and the wiring is well tidied up under the rear guard which rubbed and shorted out many pre 012 bikes.
the new style front forks helped handling greatly on the C5 compared to the off-set style and so too when they switche to a 19"/18" wheel combo
the only thing i didn't like about the euro 4's is enfield decided to swap metal for plastic. started with chain guard then onto the right side front EFI cover and over the starter motor.now its the oil filler cap

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 08:00:40 pm
Good to know you got rid of the Trials to make way for your new B5 rather than because you didn't like it or because it was a dog with mechanical/electrical problems - although the problem you found with the odd amount of fork oil in each leg was worrying - I wonder how common that is? Maybe that's why they fitted the fork brace!  ;D My forks seem to work fine so I'm leaving them alone.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 08:08:52 pm
although the problem you found with the odd amount of fork oil in each leg was worrying - I wonder how common that is?

Very common,  all three of my enfields have had wildly varying amounts oil in the forks.
My latest one had 50ml in one leg and 120ml in the other.
I think they use old engine oil going by the quality.?
Off route, recalculate?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 08:49:14 pm
Very common,  all three of my enfields have had wildly varying amounts oil in the forks.
I think they use old engine oil going by the quality.?

Surprisingly, the fork oil in my 2011 Bullet seemed to be set at the correct levels, while it did appear to be motor oil (as recommended by the factory) it was not too dirty after about 6 years of riding and it didn't smell like fish oil.  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: June 13, 2021, 01:11:36 pm
Maybe they have different people putting the oil in the left and right fork legs? Or maybe quality control is just so poor that people working on the line think that as long there is some oil in each fork leg that is OK?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 13, 2021, 01:38:53 pm
Maybe they have different people putting the oil in the left and right fork legs? Or maybe quality control is just so poor that people working on the line think that as long there is some oil in each fork leg that is OK?

It seems likely to me that your second thought is the right one.  I think the A-Team was working on the newer bikes, on other assembly lines, or other more important things like sweeping the floor, than assembling the 500cc models which they know are going to be shipped overseas and won't be bought by their friends and relatives.   ::)

On the other hand, I have always had a lot of respect for the old paint shop and the workers who used to pinstripe the tanks all day long. Very nice work!  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 02:04:29 pm
I have always had a lot of respect for the old paint shop and the workers who used to pinstripe the tanks all day long. Very nice work!  :)
The paint seems good on my 2020 Trials - the chrome less so.