Author Topic: Bullet 500 - Noisy top end  (Read 3325 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 06:54:46 am
Air is about 20% O2, so a bad combo when pressurized with fuel. Unlikely you'd magically generate a spark internally in the pressure tank, but Murphy is always watching... :o  Our hardware store has "pulse dampers" for water piping, if they use a metal diaphragm & spring, they might contain enough pressurized volume to run for awhile without a pump. Just a thought.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Crispyduck

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 01:26:23 pm
Yes. Its a good video. It's given me a few things to check.

In the section on oil pumps i assume hes upgrading to a 500 type pump instead of a 350.

I asked hitchcocks about fitting  a high output oil pump but they said no need as the 500 UCE oil pump is already more than adequate. Anyone got any info on this?
Bullet 612cc (UCE carb version)
Triumph Tiger 750cc (TR7)

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 05:26:25 pm
He was fitting a 500 uce pump to replace the 350 uce one. The 500 pump has a higher output.
Off route, recalculate?

grey pegasus

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 05:41:49 am
Yes. Its a good video. It's given me a few things to check.

In the section on oil pumps i assume hes upgrading to a 500 type pump instead of a 350.

I asked hitchcocks about fitting  a high output oil pump but they said no need as the 500 UCE oil pump is already more than adequate. Anyone got any info on this?

The 500 UCE oil pump is more than sufficient with it's 9 liters per minute at 2250 rpm. A very common problem is the O-ring at the oil pump output. If it leaks the oil directly drains back to the oil sump instead of being fed to the main bearings, hydraulic lifters and valve train. The problem gets worse if you change the right side engine cover gasket. The thickness of the factory gasket is 0.1mm and the thickness of the replacement gaskets sold by Mr. H. is 0.3mm what favors the leaking of the oil pump. Best is to modify the oil pump to permanently get rid of this problemas the oil pump and it's connection to the oil filter compartment is a faulty construction. You will find details concerning the modification somewhere else in this forum.
Sometimes it is better to give the impression of incompetence by remaining silent than to finally dispel any doubts about it by talking
(Abraham Lincoln)

Crispyduck

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: June 06, 2021, 02:11:40 pm
Thanks for all the advice.

Today i took the rocker covers off and checked for play in the Hydraulic tappets at TDC. Both were rock solid.

I then ran the engine to check the oil feed to the rockers. I took a video of it as below:

https://youtu.be/zRTHb7ohw9U

Seemed to have plenty of oil coming out of the end of the rocker bearings. I did notice that most of it came out of the bearing on the valve side whereas on the sample video that was posted most of the oil came out the pushrod side. Not sure if thats important?

Maybe i should just order the earplugs and forget about it.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 06, 2021, 05:16:04 pm
It does seem a little lacking on the pushrod side.?
Lift the rocker caps and make sure the spray jets are clear.
Could just be wear in the rocker blocks as well.
As you say, ear plugs will fix it.👍
Off route, recalculate?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 06:21:33 pm
Thanks for all the advice.

Today i took the rocker covers off and checked for play in the Hydraulic tappets at TDC. Both were rock solid.

I then ran the engine to check the oil feed to the rockers. I took a video of it as below:

https://youtu.be/zRTHb7ohw9U

Seemed to have plenty of oil coming out of the end of the rocker bearings. I did notice that most of it came out of the bearing on the valve side whereas on the sample video that was posted most of the oil came out the pushrod side. Not sure if thats important?

Maybe i should just order the earplugs and forget about it.
Much better for top end longevity to have the oil squirting toward the valve.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Crispyduck

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 02:02:41 pm
Thanks Ace. That's good to know.

The rocker bearings are new as the old ones had too much play in them.

I also plan to get the valve guides replaced soon as they also seem a bit sloppy.

Maybe I'm hoping for the impossible but i'd love a bullet that sounded good close up.

As with most bullets it has a lovely exhaust note from a distance but when u r sat on it then u hear all the other stuff.

Not ordering the earplugs quite yet. 😋

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: June 08, 2021, 08:11:34 pm
Maybe I'm hoping for the impossible but i'd love a bullet that sounded good close up.

As with most bullets it has a lovely exhaust note from a distance but when u r sat on it then u hear all the other stuff.
Maybe you've just been unlucky? My 2020 Bullet Trials has virtually no mechanical noise at tickover when you are sitting on it. Apart from exhaust and induction roar it is surprisingly quiet when riding.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500