Author Topic: New member here with my slightly modified Continental GT 535  (Read 73598 times)

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #360 on: May 22, 2021, 08:03:04 pm
Really nice !

How do you attach it to the tube ?

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #361 on: May 22, 2021, 08:55:59 pm
Turn the 45mm to a fit, maybe 44.7mm or so and push it on.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #362 on: May 23, 2021, 12:29:47 am
In the very high resolution picture, it looks like you used some kind of glue ?

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #363 on: May 23, 2021, 07:17:05 am
After your experimenting it was easy to find a length that's as good as it gets and I glued it on.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #364 on: May 23, 2021, 07:48:50 am

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #365 on: May 24, 2021, 04:11:17 pm
The (hopefully) final version with Tomaselli clip-ons and modified rear (shorter aluminum mudguard and relocated indicators)

Of course nothing was simple in the installation and it took way more time than I expected  ;D

Quiet pretty bike, do you notice any benefits in the fork adjusters? Did you change something on the standard settings?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #366 on: May 24, 2021, 04:32:16 pm
It looks good!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #367 on: May 24, 2021, 05:00:29 pm
Thank you  ;)

Quiet pretty bike, do you notice any benefits in the fork adjusters? Did you change something on the standard settings?

I installed the adjusters with the minimum preload setting at first. I don't remember what was the length in the fork tube compared to stock fork cap + spacer, sorry.

Maybe it had less preload as the front was a bit low and there was some wobble at high speed + fork bottoming sometimes on bumpy roads.
After turning the adjuster for 2 rings then 1 ring more it was fine. (1 ring = 3.5 mm).

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #368 on: December 15, 2021, 11:58:28 pm
I forgot to update this topic since May  :o

So it's time to copy here some updates written elsewhere :

New rubber !
Avon RoadRider MK II again. Did 5200 Km / 3250 Mi with the previous one.

I also tried HM's DTC Reader for all Euro 4 Royal Enfield(and Euro 4 only).

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/General-Tools/46112

My 535 have 6 stored errors due to previous cabling errors when I installed the Dynojet PC V. I have no engine light anymore as I corrected everything 1 year ago but I wanted to remove the stored codes to know what happens if ever a new error is generated.

Detailed view of each error :

Far easier to read than counting short and long blinks of the engine light  ;D

No stored DTC anymore. That was the point  :)

You can also have a live reading of various data which is a nice feature :

Now it's time to perform the routine maintenance : oil, filters, inspections and cleaning...

I also replaced rear brake pads with better ones to improve the rear brake feel like I did for the front brakes.

And I will have to look at the rear brake pedal and support. I would like to make it 1 or 2 cm lower but not adjustment it possible so I will have to create it.

Brake pedal is too high to my taste but I can't make it too low to not touch the exhaust tube.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 12:06:26 am by Taurim »

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #369 on: December 18, 2021, 08:04:46 pm
Brake pedal adjustment done !

I had to drill a hole in right foot peg support in the middle of the brake pedal stop, screw a M4 screw in and file the screw head to have just the required thickness to lower the brake pedal when not depressed.

(on this picture the brake pedal is depressed)

Et voilà  :) The brake pedal is now lowered by 2cm.

Less expensive than adjustable rearsets  ;D

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #370 on: February 05, 2022, 04:07:25 pm
Today the weather was nice and not too cold so I took the 535 for the first ride of the year.

After 30 Km of a quiet ride on the small roads, I heard and unpleasant metallic sound and I slowed down to stop on the border of the road. When engaging the 2nd gear about to stop the rear wheel was blocked  :o
No Neutral anymore, Neutral light always on and when trying to go using the 3rd there is a grinding noise : not good...
The engine is running correctly with no suspect noise, this is the only good news.
I stopped and I saw some engine oil leaks around the gearbox. Not good at all  :o

The engine oil was new but now it is totally black !

The bike is back at the house now so I have to disassemble everything  ::)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #371 on: February 05, 2022, 04:35:39 pm
Oh, dear. If the gearbox is toast, than it´s going to be a large restoration. How nice a separate gearbox would be like on the IB now. There are plenty of silly washers in this one which can be forgotten on the assembly line.  :o

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #372 on: February 05, 2022, 04:53:22 pm
Hope the damage is as minimal as possible.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #373 on: February 05, 2022, 06:57:34 pm
Oops, I hope this is not going to prove expensive.  :o

How nice a separate gearbox would be like on the IB now.

I'm not sure if you were aware of this machine's existence, derottone, but "never a truer word was spoken in jest"... I know the builder, that's a 535 engine.

Now we just need to work out if this engine and gearbox could be squeezed into the CGT535 frame.

A.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 07:07:59 pm by Adrian II »
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #374 on: February 05, 2022, 07:18:23 pm
Hope the damage is as minimal as possible.

I hope so  :'(

Disassembly started. Tomorrow I will drain the oil, remove the head and as much removable things as possible to make the engine a little less heavy before getting it out of the frame !

Last stupidity of the day : I removed the tank but as it was nearly full I dropped it a little too fast on a non flat surface... and broke the plastic tube on the ultra expensive petrol pump  >:(

A day to forget !
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 07:24:07 pm by Taurim »