Author Topic: Himalayan Aluminium Panniers  (Read 10948 times)

Toni59

• Bulleteer
on: July 31, 2020, 09:04:07 am

Hi,
I am planning to mount some boxes on my Himalayan (once I got it finally).
At the moment I am reading and comparing all the main supplier.

My two favorites are right now:

A) Original Royal Enfield Aluminium panniers in connection with the original carrier.
Advantages:
Original RE Himalayan

Disadvantages:
Mount to carrier looks very basic
Only 26 liters
Seems, that rivets protrude into the interior (from pictures)

B) Givi trekker alaska in connection with the Givi Himalayan mount
Advantages:
36 liters each
From avalable Internet information: well built
Good locking system on carrier
Easy detachable with key lock
Additional optional equipment available

Disadvantages:
Overall width might be larger than A) due to bigger volume

Interesting for me would be the overall width when mounted for A) and B)

It also seems, that in both cases the flashing lights have to be mounted further back since otherwise the boxes hide the light. (That is is also the case with the original RE boxes seems like a design failure)

Has anybody some expierience with one or the other and can give me some additional advice?

Thanks
Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 02:02:54 pm
I've got the Royal Enfield panniers and they are brilliant. Solid. Well made. Waterproof in heavy rain (proven). Lockable. I love mine and they're on the bike constantly. I love that I can stop on the way home and do some shopping.

However, because they're on the bike constantly, I carry too much stuff - full water proofs, three pairs of gloves (summer, intermediate, winter... and there have been times where I've happily changed from one to another during a ride), a hat (coz I'se bald and have skin cancers on my pate), two shopping bags (filled carefully, one will go each side with room for more and that's over a week's shopping for this single bloke), disc lock, cable lock so I can leave my helmet on the bike while shopping, binoculars (seriously).

They're riveted together, as you commented, and these interfere with removing the panniers. If you're going to be taking them on and off, you need to back off the bolts for the lower mounts slightly (maybe a turn) to allow a bit of flex in that mount. If those bolts are done up tight, the rivets foul on the frame. I don't remove my panniers, so I keep them tight, but I don't seriously think it'd be a problem if you kept them loosened so you could remove the panniers. In simpler terms, it's not perfect but it's not a problem.

The frames for the panniers are an enclosed rectangle. If I ever go touring on dirt, I'll use my soft panniers - firstly because they hold more, secondly because it's more fun being trapped under a soft pannier than a hard one. My soft panniers have a strap on each corner and I will be able to strap the panniers securely to the frames while having them held in place away from the bike.

The panniers are very strong. I've whacked them against things and dropped it on its side once (mucked up moving off didn't I) and they're essentially unmarked. Very well made.

The Royal Enfield panniers are well worth considering and a brilliant product for my use.

There's an Australian company (Queensland I think) that makes panniers out of the same plastic as wheelie bins. Their promo video shows them driving over a set with a four wheel drive, then massaging them (with heat) back to their normal shape. I don't have a link but might be able to find it if you're interested.

Then there's this option which I know nothing about because I only found it while searching for the product mentioned above
https://www.motorcycleadventure.com.au/parts-finder/royal-enfield/himalaya/
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 02:53:30 pm
@ Oldphart:

Thanks for the detailed report  :)

Yes, it's like a house with these suitcases - every room fills up at some point.  ;)

Could you please measure the width on the cases when they are assembled?

Yes, I already assumed that the Himalayan boxes are made rather to stay mounted. Since the lock mechanism seems to be not designed to open it  more often.

I don't want plastic cases on the Himalayan, I don't think it fits the style of the bike. (I have plastic boxes on my BMW and there they fit and are perfect).

For the Himalayan I prefer either cases made of aluminium or soft cases, but I haven't found any soft cases yet that would have convinced me.

Another good Point for the Givi‘s is, that Givi is a well known European manufacturer with a lot of experience in travel gear.

I am looking further to find a report about the Trekker Alaska to compare it with your report.

Regards

Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 03:00:13 am
The RE panniers come off easily enough, but you do need those bottom bolts loosened slightly (NOT loose, just backed off a little) and you need to reach inside to undo the top clamp. The beauty of this system is that they're locked onto the bike.

I can't measure them at the moment because the bike is at a mate's place while I borrow his Bullet. If I haven't got back to you by next weekend, it's because I've forgotten so just post a reminder on here and I'll see the new post come in.

Do you want the overall width? The internal width of the cases?

One issue with leaving them on all the time is that the bike now has the arse-end of a bus - although still narrower than the handlebars, lane filtering is a thing of the past for this old bloke.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 05:17:44 am
Noraly Schoenmaker of YouTube "Itchy Boots" fame is the gal who's probably put the most miles in the saddle of a Himi. So, perhaps it might interest other adventurous types to learn about the gear she likes.

Informed by the personal experience of putting over 36,000+ kilometers through 25 countries on her white Himi dubbed "Basanti" with those stock RE Aluminum panniers, etc. through India, Malaysia, then through Central Asia, Iran, Russia, Turkey, Europe, and back to her home in the Netherlands, here's a video showing how she's fitted out her new black Himi named "Dhanno": https://youtu.be/q1_EecI70W0.

For her Tierra del Fuego to Alaska run on "Dhanno", currently on a hopefully brief hiatus due to the whole "Covfefe-19" unpleasantness, she's opted for soft luggage from a company called Mosko (see: https://moskomoto.com/). Aside from the fact that the new luggage was a gift to support her voyages, I seem to recall her explaining some advantages she imagined to soft vs. hard luggage in one of her videos before she set off for South America...maybe even the one I've already linked to. I'm old. I forget things.

For far more details on her other gear, check out her blog at https://www.itchyboots.com/bikers-guide/gear-and-equipment-dhanno (for Dhanno) and also https://www.itchyboots.com/bikers-guide/basanti-gear-and-equipment (for Basanti).

Anyhow, good luck fitting out your own Himalayan. Personally, I rather like those OEM Himi panniers, and have the rather more--"Ahem"--primitive  OEM metal panniers on my own Iron Bellied Bullet "Military", and just adore the rattly handy old things. From my many previous postings about them here, it must also be clear by now that I'm also a big fan of those ultra-cheapo yet sturdy canvas Stansport saddlebags, which serve handily as supplementary storage on longer trips and a fine place to stow my camping doodads in the closet when I'm not off communing with some elderly woodchuck that enjoys Beanie-Weenie.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 05:59:05 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 01:56:10 pm
Hi Bilgemaster,

thanks for your advice.

Yes, of course I've stumbled upon Noraly, and her videos were certainly also part of my decision for a Himalayan.
I think I have seen them all and also read her homepage several times. You get the wanderlust...

It's probably the same as always: Probably you could take a trip around the world with a few shopping bags or without any luggage at all. But as long as you only dream of it, it is also the preparation that makes you happy and gives you a nice pastime.

At the moment I only dream of it, due to my job, and indulge in preparations.

In my younger years, I used to travel to a different European country every year on holiday in a motorcycle group - each time in one or two week stages. Over everything seen I was so more than 70000 km on the road on my BMW.

Now that I'm getting older, I want to slow down - and I'm working on that :-)

Still enjoying reading about hard and soft cases, pro and cons and gathering experiences  ;D

Toni, who still has no delivery date for his Himalayan...  :(

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 11:14:11 am
Rough measurements in the dark suggest that the overall width of the panniers fitted to the bike is 89cm or 2'11".

If you want an accurate measurement, I'll have to have a proper go at it, but the answer would be less than that. Knowing Royal Enfield, it could vary too (one of my frames was a bit wonky so they aren't welded in a jig, well, not a good one anyway)
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 08:06:44 pm
Hello Oldparth,

Thanks for the measurement - that is  accurate enough.

I hope that I find someone who has the Givi‘s in use to get the äquivalent  dimension of this combination...

By the way: Did you move the flashing lights to the back?

Regards from Germany

Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 10:01:32 am
Yes, I moved the flashers to the back. I even ran the wires the way the factory recommends but it's a sloppy arrangement and you may find yourself wondering about neater ways of doing it.

The RE panniers are rather slim in themselves, but the frames place the panniers well out from the bike - it's there you might be able to narrow things. Having said that, the overall width of the panniers is still less than the handlebars (though not by much)
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 05:53:21 pm
Hello Oldparth,

Yes, I have already recognized from the pictures that the Original Himalayan frames are very wide.

It could be (I take this from the Givi pictures) that the Givi frames are narrower. So it could be also that the Givi boxes, although they have 10 liters more each, might not be wider overall.

It is good to know that the handlebars are still the widest part :-)
So where the handlebar is through, the rest will fit  ;)

Yes, moving the flashers increases safety....

I am still of the opinion that the lighting system should be mounted at the factory in such a way that at least the original boxes can be fitted without having to make any changes.

I have already seen pictures of Himalayan‘s with Original Boxes,  where the owners have probably decided not to move the indicators for convenience. That would be too risky for me.

What I can not see from pictures:
Is the rear light still sufficiently visible after mounting the boxes - especially from the side or is visibility also limited?

Regards

Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 11:55:19 am
Having had a good look at my bike:
The flashers are a good six inches in from the back of the panniers and well below the top - they'll be near enough to invisible unless the observer is directly behind you.
Also, one of the bracing struts almost certainly goes through the head of the flasher.
Sorry mate, I think you'll be moving them.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

ChristofR

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 10:14:20 am
I've got the Royal Enfield panniers and they are brilliant. Solid. Well made. Waterproof in heavy rain (proven).

That's hard to believe. I've heard several stories that the original RE panniers are NOT waterproof. It even says so on the official Royal Enfield website.
@TS: take a look here, SW Motech have a nice range as well. I'll be mouting the Sysbag set but the contents may be too small for you. But they've got loads of other options as well.
https://sw-motech.com/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:40:19 am by ChristofR »

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 11:10:15 am
That's hard to believe. I've heard several stories that the original RE panniers are NOT waterproof. It even says so on the official Royal Enfield website.
@TS: take a look here, SW Motech have a nice range as well. I'll be mouting the Sysbag set but the contents may be too small for you. But they've got loads of other options as well.
https://sw-motech.com/

Yeah. I'm obviously bullshitting and trying to lead someone on.
I'm talking from my experience. I'm sorry it doesn't match yours... oh that's right, you don't have any but you're qualified to call me a liar because you read it on the internet.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 03:29:47 pm
Hello ChristofR,

that is an interesting information...

I checked it on the GIVI Homepage

https://www.givi.it/givi-products/side-hardbags/monokey/ala36apack2-trekker-alaska

and couldn‘t also find any clear information about water protection.
They are talking something about „high ingress protection against dust and water“.

Somewhere in one of the videos from Noraly she spoke of condensation water that had formed in the Enfield boxes due to high temperature fluctuations and had soaked the content....

Regards

Toni
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:37:03 pm by Toni59 »

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 10:26:41 am
I know you want aluminium, but this is impressive to watch just the same.

https://youtu.be/zGaUgQfBV88
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

ChristofR

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 11:44:23 am
Yeah. I'm obviously bullshitting and trying to lead someone on.
I'm talking from my experience. I'm sorry it doesn't match yours... oh that's right, you don't have any but you're qualified to call me a liar because you read it on the internet.

Not calling you a liar ; it's just that I find it strange that Royal Enfield would officially state on their accessories page that their official panniers (silver or black) are NOT waterproof. I guess you must have bought some that are waterproof.
https://www.royalenfieldshop.co.uk/accessories/593-royal-enfield-himalayan-panniers.html
Look at the bottom of the page :
"Please Note These Panniers Are Not Waterproof And Should Be Used In Conjunction With Optional Dry Bags.

I have also viewed some Youtube videos on the matter, I'll try and find them again...

Hello ChristofR,

that is an interesting information...

I checked it on the GIVI Homepage

https://www.givi.it/givi-products/side-hardbags/monokey/ala36apack2-trekker-alaska

and couldn‘t also find any clear information about water protection.

I don't know about the Givi panniers ; in any case, I wouldn't buy the RE panniers. I'm not saying oldphart is lying, but if Royal Enfield officially states it  on their website, that has to count for something. Wouldn't want to carry a laptop to work in one of those panniers...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:48:10 am by ChristofR »

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: August 08, 2020, 12:24:56 pm
Hello Oldparth,
That video is indeed impressive  ;D ;D ;D

It would probably have taken longer to get aluminium boxes back into shape!

Do you know the brand?

The video doesn’t give any hint.

Regards

Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: August 08, 2020, 01:20:21 pm
I think they're Simpson 30 L panniers. They're available on ebay. However, I'm not completely convinced that that's the brand, you'll need to do some research of your own (I didn't follow it up because I'm not in the market for panniers)
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: August 08, 2020, 01:50:53 pm
@ Oldparth, Thank you!

Yes, I found them on EBay/Australia, Simpson 30 l panniers
they are obviously only sold in Australia.

I will do further research, since I still have time. Still no delivery date for my Himalayan :-(

Regards

Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: August 08, 2020, 02:01:13 pm
@ Oldparth, Thank you!

Yes, I found them on EBay/Australia, Simpson 30 l panniers
they are obviously only sold in Australia.

I will do further research, since I still have time. Still no delivery date for my Himalayan :-(

Regards

Toni

Nah, they ship worldwide mate - I found the ad too. Just place your order and go, or if you're concerned, contact them first.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 11:31:42 am
Some folks have been having issues viewing this thread, so I've just tried to "Restore" it and post this to jump-start it. Is anyone else able to see it and this posting now?
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: August 09, 2020, 12:03:14 pm
All visible at this end
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: August 09, 2020, 12:37:34 pm
@ Bilgemaster:

Thanks for restoring it!

Regards
Toni

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: November 30, 2020, 07:32:06 pm
So, finally I decided to go with the original Royal Enfield Aluminium Boxes.

I ordered them right in India, and they arrived amazingly fast and without damage.

Painting of the racks looked good, boxes are in reasonable quality.

Mounting of the racket was a nightmare, since the connection points did not fit. Obviously the rack was misaligned due to welding without a proper fixture.

I finally managed it. Once everything is mounted properly, the whole stuff ist very stable and solid.

Regards
Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: December 02, 2020, 12:02:35 pm
So, finally I decided to go with the original Royal Enfield Aluminium Boxes.

I ordered them right in India, and they arrived amazingly fast and without damage.

Painting of the racks looked good, boxes are in reasonable quality.

Mounting of the racket was a nightmare, since the connection points did not fit. Obviously the rack was misaligned due to welding without a proper fixture.

I finally managed it. Once everything is mounted properly, the whole stuff ist very stable and solid.

Regards
Toni

Yeah, a few people have reported the frames don't fit too well. Mine were a bit off on one side but nothing I couldn't sort. Pity. RE really has to get on top of that sort of thing but it appears they don't give a shit.

On a positive note, the panniers are brilliant. Solid. Waterproof (well, mine are). Lockable. Good capacity. I love mine.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: December 02, 2020, 05:13:40 pm
Yeah, the boxes look pretty good.

Do you use some pannier liners which fit into the REH boxes?

I have used soft liners on my BMW, which is very comfortable once you are at your destination: Just leave the hard boxes at the motorbike and take the liners with your belongings out...

I wonder whether there are some pannier liners available using the 26 liters of the original boxes as good as possible...

Toni  8)

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: December 03, 2020, 05:31:42 am
I wasn't aware of any specialist liners. However, our reusable shopping bags fit inside provided you don't over fill them and I use them. The problem with filling a soft liner and then trying to put it into your pannier is having the liner bulge, hence not fitting, but I guess you get used to that.

I've only done one trip with mine. I removed the panniers to fill and to offload at the other end. It worked but was a bit of a pain.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: December 03, 2020, 08:18:55 pm
Hi Oldphart,

What do you mean by „our reusable shopping bags“?

Just an every day carry bag?

Regards
Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: December 04, 2020, 12:52:12 pm
Hi Oldphart,

What do you mean by „our reusable shopping bags“?

Just an every day carry bag?

Regards
Toni

Here in Australia, they're trying to wean us off plastic shopping bags at supermarkets. Not every effectively thanks to the way they've gone about it, but governments are governments... which is why we call them gumbyments.
Anyway, one of their strategies was 'reusable shopping bags'. Heavy material - they literally last for years so once you've bought them, you just have to remember to take them shopping with you (if you, you have to pay 25c for a plastic bag). Uniform size, that just happens to fit nicely in the ally panniers.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 04, 2020, 02:11:32 pm
Here in Australia, they're trying to wean us off plastic shopping bags at supermarkets. Not every effectively thanks to the way they've gone about it, but governments are governments... which is why we call them gumbyments.
Anyway, one of their strategies was 'reusable shopping bags'. Heavy material - they literally last for years so once you've bought them, you just have to remember to take them shopping with you (if you, you have to pay 25c for a plastic bag). Uniform size, that just happens to fit nicely in the ally panniers.

It should be no surprise that is exactly what happened in California about two years ago, including the 25 cents charge for the plastic grocery bag that the stores used to supply free.  So we then had to buy several cloth shopping bags (and were given more as brand and government agency promotions) if we didn't want to pay for a plastic bag. But then, being California, when the pandemic hit we were told that our reusable cloth bags might be infected with virus and we were banned from bringing them into any retail or grocery store. But the stores were still charging us 25 cents for each plastic bag that we needed to carry out our purchases, in accordance with state law. Then this summer, scientists discovered that the regulators and retail worker unions were full of hot air and cloth bags were not spreading the plague.  So we are now free to use reusable bags again when shopping and if you forget your bag you still get stuck with the 25 cent charge (which includes a 10% state and local sales tax, of course) for a plastic or paper grocery bag (which the store gets to keep). As usual the customer gets screwed coming and going.  ::)

So as it turns out, most people here have ended up with a pile of cloth bags over time and I think they would work just fine as a bag liner for a top-loading saddle bag, especially if it has an interior design that is relatively smooth and uniform so that will not catch on the bag as you pull it out of the container.   :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: December 05, 2020, 11:01:59 am
Aah,  now I know what you mean  ;D

I will look for something like this.

I guess it is easier to let the boxes on the bike, instead of always screw them off.
And you do not always need all your stuff...

Regards
Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: December 05, 2020, 12:43:29 pm
Aah,  now I know what you mean  ;D

I will look for something like this.

I guess it is easier to let the boxes on the bike, instead of always screw them off.
And you do not always need all your stuff...

Regards
Toni

My panniers live on the bike. They are so useful and it allows you to carry stuff like wet weather gear and another pair of gloves. Not to mention shopping on the way home from work.

I haven't been able to do much touring (well, one trip anyway). I took them off to pack, and took them off at the other end to unpack (I was staying a week). That worked well but was a bit of a pain - you have to be able to pack them so you can get at the knobs on the inside. They're not that convenient to carry either, especially when full, so if you can organise handles, that might be easier.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #32 on: May 23, 2021, 06:06:58 pm
Hello

Interesting debate, I am waiting for the delivery of my Himalayan. The bike is fitted with LOMO Soft bags, now I know that there has been some delivery issues, watch attached;

https://youtu.be/J6zBNi85-4U

Also Google LOMO, they show some videos themselves.
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: May 23, 2021, 07:48:54 pm
After nearly 2000 km with my Enfield Aluminum boxes I am really happy with them.
It was the right choice for me.

They are really robust, carry a lot of stuff and are easy to clean.

In one of them I have installed a switchable USB Port, connected with a SAE Plug to the bike.
So I can charge or power devices in the locked box while riding.
And when I remove the box, I just unplug it.

Regards

Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: May 24, 2021, 08:09:52 am
After nearly 2000 km with my Enfield Aluminum boxes I am really happy with them.
It was the right choice for me.

They are really robust, carry a lot of stuff and are easy to clean.

In one of them I have installed a switchable USB Port, connected with a SAE Plug to the bike.
So I can charge or power devices in the locked box while riding.
And when I remove the box, I just unplug it.

Regards

Toni

That's a cunning idea.

I haven't quite worked out what I'm going to do about power outlets yet though I'll probably be boring and put them on the dash like (nearly) everyone else.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
  • Granite Black E5 Himalayan
Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 07:16:06 am
I have just put the OE Himalayan boxes on my E5 model. Fitment of the frames took a bit of effort but the kit includes everything you need to relocate the rear lights. The boxes are perhaps a little crude but certainly strong and securely fitted.

The need to relocate the rear lights is not a design fault. It is actually pretty common when using panniers on many brands. It is quite straightforward and well designed on the Himalayan with the OE kit.
Sod it, lets ride!

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 08:23:09 am
I have just put the OE Himalayan boxes on my E5 model. Fitment of the frames took a bit of effort but the kit includes everything you need to relocate the rear lights. The boxes are perhaps a little crude but certainly strong and securely fitted.

The need to relocate the rear lights is not a design fault. It is actually pretty common when using panniers on many brands. It is quite straightforward and well designed on the Himalayan with the OE kit.

I love my hard panniers. I wouldn't call them 'crude', I'd call them 'in keeping with the bike'  :D
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
  • Granite Black E5 Himalayan
Reply #37 on: July 01, 2021, 04:39:20 pm
Regarding the slightly unsightly wiring that RE suggest you bring out through the original holes in the side of the mudguard, it is relatively simple to drill a central hole in an appropriate place to bring them out in a far neater fashion. The Mudguard is only plastic and easy to drill neatly (I use a wood bit for drilling plastic). You can buy blanking caps for the original holes but it isnt hard to knock something up yourself.
Sod it, lets ride!

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: July 04, 2021, 11:34:32 am
Just an update:

I managed to find some perfect fitting in-bags for the original RE aluminium boxes at my friend Ali for little money.

They have little weight, 3 compartments and the perfect dimensions for the boxes.

So on a trip just put your stuff into the bags and at the hotel you have just your hand luggage ;D

Details see pictures

Regards Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: July 04, 2021, 01:51:40 pm
Nice find. Got a link to the ad?
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

wfrpalm

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: July 04, 2021, 02:13:11 pm
Nice find. Got a link to the ad?

Also would like link.

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: July 04, 2021, 06:12:58 pm
Hi,

They are from aliexpr…

See here

€ 10,31  35% Rabatt | Wasserdichte Reisetasche Schwimmen Fitness Sport Lauf Kleidung Schuhe Organizer Frauen Männer Gepäck Tragbare Ordentlich Beutel Zubehör
https://star.aliexpress.com/share/share.htm?image=U3b4e3a76125d4eaab3fe70f4f234ec982.jpg&businessType=ProductDetail&title=%E2%82%AC%2010%2C31%20%2035%EF%BC%85%20Rabatt%20%7C%20Wasserdichte%20Reisetasche%20Schwimmen%20Fitness%20Sport%20Lauf%20Kleidung%20Schuhe%20Organizer%20Frauen%20M%C3%A4nner%20Gep%C3%A4ck%20Tragbare%20Ordentlich%20Beutel%20Zubeh%C3%B6r&platform=AE&redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fitem%2F32912929918.html%3F%26srcSns%3Dsns_Copy%26tid%3Dwhite_backgroup_101%26mb%3DBQgGPjlOlxkJ34P%26businessType%3DProductDetail%26spreadType%3DsocialShare]
https://star.aliexpress.com/share/share.htm?image=U3b4e3a76125d4eaab3fe70f4f234ec982.jpg&businessType=ProductDetail&title=%E2%82%AC%2010%2C31%20%2035%EF%BC%85%20Rabatt%20%7C%20Wasserdichte%20Reisetasche%20Schwimmen%20Fitness%20Sport%20Lauf%20Kleidung%20Schuhe%20Organizer%20Frauen%20M%C3%A4nner%20Gep%C3%A4ck%20Tragbare%20Ordentlich%20Beutel%20Zubeh%C3%B6r&platform=AE&redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fitem%2F32912929918.html%3F%26srcSns%3Dsns_Copy%26tid%3Dwhite_backgroup_101%26mb%3DBQgGPjlOlxkJ34P%26businessType%3DProductDetail%26spreadType%3DsocialShare] € 10,31  35% Rabatt | Wasserdichte Reisetasche Schwimmen Fitness Sport Lauf Kleidung Schuhe Organizer Frauen Männer Gepäck Tragbare Ordentlich Beutel Zubehör
https://star.aliexpress.com/share/share.htm?image=U3b4e3a76125d4eaab3fe70f4f234ec982.jpg&businessType=ProductDetail&title=%E2%82%AC%2010%2C31%20%2035%EF%BC%85%20Rabatt%20%7C%20Wasserdichte%20Reisetasche%20Schwimmen%20Fitness%20Sport%20Lauf%20Kleidung%20Schuhe%20Organizer%20Frauen%20M%C3%A4nner%20Gep%C3%A4ck%20Tragbare%20Ordentlich%20Beutel%20Zubeh%C3%B6r&platform=AE&redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fitem%2F32912929918.html%3F%26srcSns%3Dsns_Copy%26tid%3Dwhite_backgroup_101%26mb%3DBQgGPjlOlxkJ34P%26businessType%3DProductDetail%26spreadType%3DsocialShare

I have the grey ones, see picture, about 10€ each, 39 x 16,5 x 30 cm

Regards
Toni
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 06:51:18 pm by Toni59 »

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: July 05, 2021, 07:57:01 am
Thanks Toni
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

JurS

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: August 23, 2021, 09:02:50 am
Hi, I am about to become a new Himalayan owner and I've been following this discussion. I have been biking for years and on my previous bikes I used Hepco Becker hardcases. HB also supply mounting racks for the Himalayan so I might get those and just re-use the cases I already have. The only thing is that they are a bit bigger in size than the original RE ones (they are 30 liters each). I wonder if that would be getting too big for comfort? Anyway, once I have the bike and fit cases I will report back.

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: August 26, 2021, 07:53:13 pm
Yeah, I had also a closer look at the GIVI boxes which have even 36 liters.
Today I am happy that I bought the original ones, since I am convinced they fit best.
Easy to handle, easy to remove or mount again, sufficiently robust and enough volume…

Regards
Toni

JurS

• Scooter
Reply #45 on: August 27, 2021, 09:27:17 am
It turns out that the HB racks for the 2021 model are not yet available so I may have to wait a while before I can order them. That gives me time to make up my mind what actually to do with the whole luggage question. On a daily basis I mostly just used the top box which is very handy to carry small things like the waterproofs and some visor cleaner whilst leaving space for some groceries. Its main purpose though is to have a place to store the helmet when I'm away from the bike. It is a big and rather heavy thing to have on there permanently though. An alternative might to use a soft tail bag and a helmet lock, or a soft tail bag big enough to take the helmet.

I will pick up the bike on Wednesday (with a 71 plate :) ) so still time to think about it.

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #46 on: August 27, 2021, 01:58:35 pm
Well, for small stuff I use my tank bag, see picture 1. It is from MOTO DETAIL and was around 20 Euro.

With it’s 4 magnets it fits well on the tank and can be used as a backpack.

For the Helmet I have a small lock, stored under passenger seat, see picture 2, around 5 Euro….
With this I lock my helmet on the luggage rack.

Regards

Toni
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:12:01 pm by Toni59 »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: August 27, 2021, 02:28:41 pm
Toni59: Keep your eye on the condition of your fuel tank where the tank bag's magnets contact it. While magnetic tank bags are certainly convenient, engine and road vibrations of your bike will cause the magnets resting against the tank to create small scratches on the paint, especially if the tank surface gets a little dirty. I would recommend either placing some sort of paint protecting film on the tank under the magnet areas, or just pulling off the tank bag now and then, cleaning the paint surface and giving it a coat of wax before replacing the bag.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

JurS

• Scooter
Reply #48 on: August 28, 2021, 12:26:49 pm
Well I found a lockable helmet bag online and ordered it. Just locking the helmet to the bike would be inviting disaster on a rainy day! Hopefully this bag is waterproof.

I also got a message from HB saying that the pannier racks are now in stock, but not the top box carrier, so I ordered just the rack to begin with. Should get it in 2 weeks. That will sort out most of my luggage needs for longer trips.

When I get the bike on Wednesday I'll visit my local motorbike accessories store and look for a potential tail bag, tank bag and/or front panniers, for day tripping. Hopefully I can do without a tank bag, apart from possible scratch damage they are a bit of a nuisance when filling up.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #49 on: August 28, 2021, 03:43:30 pm
Just be aware mate, that the Himmy rear rack is not able to carry very much - maybe a pack of cigarettes... without the ciggies. The alternatives are to brace it (involves welding and repainting) or something like Glen Fitzgerald's EeeZee rack which sits over the pillion seat.

I've used the Aldi tail bag quite successfully over the pillion seat, but seeing I also have the RE panniers, I now use an Aldi tankbag which I put in the panniers... unless my panniers happen to be full that day.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

TheWomble

• Neophyte
Reply #50 on: September 13, 2021, 12:35:13 pm
Glad to hear that the pannier racks are generally a bit off, I'm not alone then! I collected my new bike on Thursday evening and straight off camping with the bike.  Back home I've realised that I cannot remove the right hand pannier from the frame as the front top metal lug will not come out due to fouling the mounting bolt.  Looks like the mechanic at dealers had to use M6 rather than M8 bolts to the bike frame to force the pannier frame to fit. Going back on Saturday for 300 mile service and for them to look at the pannier issue.

Other than that, very happy with the bike, though running in is a bit of a pain, but maybe helpful in readjusting my mindset on riding the Himalayan!