Author Topic: Rear Hugger Options?  (Read 2231 times)

AK Mike

• Scooter
on: November 09, 2019, 08:04:07 pm
Greetings one and all.

It's official... I humbly join your ranks as I just ordered a new 2019 Himalayan.  As I stood in the RE Dealer a couple weeks ago, I wanted to buy three bikes, the Himmy, a Bullet B5 and the new Interceptor.  But I could only justify one, and the Himmy made the most practical sense for me and where/how I ride.  So I'm very happy to be accepting delivery in a few weeks, and then it will spend the Alaskan winter slumbering away till May.

So I'm starting to think about what accessories to get.  Handguards have already been purchased and engine guards are next.  But I would also like to better protect that rear shock from mug, sand and other debris.  I have been thinking about a shock tube/cover, but I also know that at least one owner on youtube has fashioned a rear hugger/fender to keep debris away from that area.  So I wonder if there exists a bolt-on hugger that maybe some of you have installed?  If so, please let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks as always.

EnfieldGuy

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 08:34:01 am
I don't think I have ever seen a rear hugger fitted to the Himalayan, but I will watch this topic with interest as I imagine it could be quite effective and offer some good protection.

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 03:51:27 pm
Sorry for the tardiness....I’m a newbie here and just spotted the post....does this help?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283943687888

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184820885311

Google Pyramid Plastic....there is a shorter version & a fender extender....

I have extender & Matt Hugger....

15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 04:04:00 pm
after riding nothing but pure roadbikes since 1979, now I find my self riding a Himalayan and seeking out slow dirt trails instead of fast tarmac....way more fun

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 08:59:44 am
Here is Hitchcock's hugger
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/43586

Thanks for that link.

I really like the look of this one but the tyranny of distance saw postage way more expensive than the item itself, alas.

I went for this with postage twenty quid or so, with headlight grill and side stand foot included in the postage package:
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/accessory-shop-mudguards/43981

It’s nowhere near as good looking, but function-over-form wins out again.  :D
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
  • Granite Black E5 Himalayan
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 07:07:40 am
I have fitted the Pyramid plastics fender extender and the rear hugger with the extension flap. Fitment was easy and they do a pretty goo job. I also sprayed my shock and that whole area with lanoguard before fitting the hugger and my first outing. If you intend to use the Himalayan in muddy conditions I also recommend the front mudgurad riser kits that are available.
Sod it, lets ride!

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 02:05:06 am
For your amusement, here’s a shot of the temporary hugger I knocked up using a two litre milk bottle. This took about ten minutes, go to whoa. I installed it just before a 900 kilometre round trip. It’s lasted about 1400 kilometres now, albeit, only a hundred or so on gravel.

(When it fails, I’ll install the Pyramid.)

Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650