Author Topic: Project "Laubfrosch" - the trials hybrid  (Read 23064 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AzCal Retred

  • Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,111
  • Karma: 0
  • Laissez le bon temps rouler! Fresno, CA
Reply #180 on: April 20, 2021, 02:26:26 am
Thanks for the links!
A brace of 1999 Bullets: 1 Red Deluxe, 1 Green Standard. Also, 1 wee orphan 1956 Fire Arrow project.


grumbern

  • Grand Gearhead
  • *****
  • Posts: 534
  • Karma: 0
Reply #181 on: June 07, 2021, 09:15:16 pm
AS I needed longer studs for the primary housing, I made some from M8 bolts and cut a 5/16-BSC thread to go inside the engine housing:


>>Link<<


>>Link<<


The kickstart lever had to be a bit longer to clear the foot rest, so I forged a new middle part:


>>Link<<


The kickstarter: was bent to allow for a different design:


>>Link<<


>>Link<<


Both combined...


>>Link<<


...result in a longer lever:


>>Link<<


And after some more bending:


>>Link<<


That's how it looks on the bike:


>>Link<<


>>Link<<


>>Link<<


This might already work. If not I can still make some adjustments. but first I'll have to give it a try like it is.

As the Indian primary cover had quite a tilted bore pattern, as well as too little clearence (litterly none), I had to redo this too.
The primary sprocket would fit, but with the chain it interfered with the casting. So I made a fixture to clamp the housing to my drillpress:


>>Link<<


Centered and clamped in place:


>>Link<<


Makse some space for the sprocket:


>>Link<<<


The chain tensioner needed to be set back a bit as well:


>>Link<<


Close, but will do:


>>Link<<


Better!


>>Link<<


More to come... 8)


grumbern

  • Grand Gearhead
  • *****
  • Posts: 534
  • Karma: 0
Reply #182 on: June 11, 2021, 02:02:14 pm
Finally I started to work on the tunnel/bottom section of the tank.
First a generous rough cut and bending of the tunnel:


>>Link<<


>>Link<<

Marking the bottom line of the tank, make the cut for the "neck" and folding over the sides for the bottom (works ok with the vise):


>>Link<<


>>Link<<

After that marking the outline of the tank an cutting it:


>>Link<<


After some trying, bending and filing both tank and tunnel go together nicely:


>>Link<<


>>Link<<


>>Link<<


One needs to stay in tough with current technology and nowadays there's now way past CAD - so I was told!
So I also use the advantages "Cardboard Aided Design" (to quote Paul brodie ;) ):


>>Link<<


After that more cutting, still keeping a bit of reserve:


>>Link<<


Using two old bearing rings and the vise to form...


>>Link<<


... the funnel for the petrol tap:


>>Link<<


After the "neck" was hammered I could start forming the collar:


>>Link<<


As you can see the metal started to crack here, so I drilled a hole at the end of the crack. Started to do so again though...
Some more:


>>Link<<


>>Link<<


My biggest nemesis in this case:


>>Link<<


>>Link<<

And I was right to think so, as it started to crack in one spot as well. I do hope a small spot weld will do to cure this.
All in all I am well pleased with the outcome and one learns a lot by doing this kind of things :wink:

That's it for now.
Andreas