Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1847779 times)

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8205 on: January 01, 2022, 06:09:59 pm
I was bored stiff today so l checked all cables abs brake hoses to check they were run correctly, l now the bike is more or less straight from the factory but you just never know, better to be safe rather than sorry.

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #8206 on: January 04, 2022, 08:03:09 am
Having been cruelly separated from my C5 for two weeks by my wife insisting we have a Christmas holiday, I was finally reunited with my bike. I gave the chain a good clean and took the bike out for a long run.

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8207 on: January 04, 2022, 09:41:11 am
Having been cruelly separated from my C5 for two weeks by my wife insisting we have a Christmas holiday, I was finally reunited with my bike. I gave the chain a good clean and took the bike out for a long run.
🤣🤣🤣
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

upintheair

• Scooter
Reply #8208 on: January 17, 2022, 11:51:34 pm
Replaced the chain with a non-oring type, installed new seals on the valve cover bolts, polished at the alternator side cover, put a new pad on the rear brake pedal stop, installed a new tank from Hitchcock, somehow the charcoal canister fell off into my parts shelving, and cleaned up the forks.
Historical: 1952 Cushman, 1958 Vespa 125, Honda 2x 1963 C110, 1968? CL77, 1975 TL125, Yamaha 1963 YDS2, 1975 XS650, 1968 Kawasaki 175, 1965 Hodaka Ace 100, 1960 BSA A65, 2006 Jonway 250, 1975 Bultaco 250 Alpina,
Current:  2015 Green RE B5 with K70's, DID 530 chain, Koso TNT,

NickHonda400Four

• Scooter
Reply #8209 on: January 29, 2022, 10:55:59 pm
I took lots of bits of my C5 apart today. I'm isolating as I'm positive for the dreaded Covid...Luckily I've got fairly mild symptoms. Presents a good opportunity for giving what has pretty much become my daily driver some love.

Some wear and play to the exhaust rocker in the block so I lightly sanded the top portion of the block on some 600 wet and dry on a flat steel surface to close up against the rocker shaft. Feels much better now but both rockers have sideways or lateral movement - considering thrust washers or shims to take some of it up. (open to suggestions!)

Cheapo valve spring compressor arrived and was useless. So carefully set the head up in my pillar drill and compressed the springs using that (I thought it would be nowhere near strong enough but it barely required any effort!)

- Tiniest hint of play in the inlet valve - a noticeable amount of play in the exhaust. I've ordered a new set of valves and will see what the play is like with those before considering replacement guides. If I pop the inlet valve into the exhaust guide there is less play...so I'm really hoping there is more wear to the valve stems than the valve guides themselves.

- Valve seats look good, no pitting - same for the valves.

535cc Cylinder and Piston is also due to arrive. I've removed the 500cc and inspected.

- Quite a bit of carbon. I've been running quite rich, especially at Idle (Mikuni Carb). I've acquired a Gunson Colourtune so with a bit of luck I can get the lower end carb settings dialled in quite easily with this.

- Weirdly the Gudgeon pin has a small amount of play in the piston but is perfect in the small end. (I always thought gudgeon pins were supposed to be a tight fit in the pistons?)

- Some very minor scoring at the bottom of the cylinder bore in one area. Otherwise looks very clean.

- Piston appeared to be snug in the bore but there are carbon deposits all the way down to the oil seal ring.

- Big end appears like new.

Removed LH & RH covers for general inspection - no surprises which was nice!

- I've retarded the Inlet cam by one tooth. I've been watching a lot of Paul Henshaw's videos and he's done this on a number of UCE engines now...although they have had the Performance Cams fitted. I thought I'd see what difference it made to the standard cams as H's are still awiting stock.

- Adjusted backlash.

Taken the opportunity to give the covers a good polish. I've also thrown some paint at them. Don't know if I like it yet...what do you guys think?

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #8210 on: February 05, 2022, 08:38:00 am
After an oil and filter change, today I fitted a sump guard, the same as that fitted to the Bullet Trials.

As well as  protecting the alloy sump from stones and rocks, this plate covers the rear brake cylinder and pipework. I have a 2 week roadtrip coming up, and this includes riding off-road for over a day across a large cattle station which will be a challenge for the rider as well as the bike.

Fitting the guard was simple enough, the rear mount was the only part that consumed more time than expected due to poor access.

When taking the bike for a short ride after installation I could hear a resonance that wasn't previously present, and I could still hear it when idling on the centre stand. When holding the front of the sump guard the noise went away, so I made some bushes out of rubber belt and inserted between the guard and the front brackets.

The subsequent road test confirmed the resonance was now gone. 

2021 Classic 500

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8211 on: February 05, 2022, 11:17:48 am
Large tap washers work well for that l used to use them on the old Brits.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8212 on: February 05, 2022, 11:24:19 am
Well l have been scratching out some designs for a tender and phone charger but still not happy with the results yet and that back to front battery l think back to the drawing board for another configuration.

D.W.

• Scooter
Reply #8213 on: February 05, 2022, 07:10:11 pm
Removed the jump so the light switch actually works.
2015 Classic 500
2021 Himalayan

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #8214 on: February 07, 2022, 05:18:11 pm
Rode the Madras Missile in to work! I love the sound of one piston in the morning!!!  8)

Freezing temps with fog have been giving me some serious PMS lately! Things have cleared up a bit today, looking forward to slightly warmer weather....  ::)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

D.W.

• Scooter
Reply #8215 on: February 07, 2022, 08:46:25 pm
Replaced the factory metal covered spark plug cap with a NGK.

When I took the old one off I’m not even sure how it was working so well! It didn’t appear to be screwed into the wire. As I was pulling back the rubber on the wire and cap the cap just fell off.

2015 Classic 500
2021 Himalayan

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8216 on: February 08, 2022, 06:38:52 pm
Replaced the factory metal covered spark plug cap with a NGK.

When I took the old one off I’m not even sure how it was working so well! It didn’t appear to be screwed into the wire. As I was pulling back the rubber on the wire and cap the cap just fell off.

That’s not the first time that happened to a Bullet rider! NGK caps, yes!
I use a custom coil, a zero resistance cable to a zero resistance NGK cap. My plug is an iridium Nippon Denso. All the iridium plugs have resistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9fVUEaiB6I&t=51s
ACE Motors - sales & administration

D.W.

• Scooter
Reply #8217 on: February 08, 2022, 09:12:19 pm
That’s not the first time that happened to a Bullet rider! NGK caps, yes!
I use a custom coil, a zero resistance cable to a zero resistance NGK cap. My plug is an iridium Nippon Denso. All the iridium plugs have resistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9fVUEaiB6I&t=51s

I saw your video before and that’s what got me thinking about it. I would like to change out my coil and use the zero resistance wire and cap as you suggest once I learn more about this stuff!

You would have links or part number to that set up handy would you?
2015 Classic 500
2021 Himalayan

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8218 on: February 10, 2022, 06:26:08 pm
I saw your video before and that’s what got me thinking about it. I would like to change out my coil and use the zero resistance wire and cap as you suggest once I learn more about this stuff!

You would have links or part number to that set up handy would you?

ACE Motors part # Ignition Kit.
The contact info is at the bottom of this URL.
https://www.acemotorsonline.com

ACE Motors - sales & administration

D.W.

• Scooter
Reply #8219 on: February 14, 2022, 08:51:07 pm
When I bought my 2015 classic it was missing the exhaust heat shield and seemed hard to find and costly. So I went to ebay and bought a "NEW SILENCER GOLDSTAR TYPE SUITABLE FOR ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC UCE 350 500CC", $66.30 taxes and shipping and delivered in a week. It was hollow.

I then bought a baffler from Dennis Kirk "Baffle w/Fiberglass Wrap for 2.25 in. OD Exhaust - 1861-0914".

It has a very deep tone and is still about 85db idling.

I test road and would get some popping on deceleration when going down hills ect.

So today I moved the TPS down just a touch, no i did not measure voltage. Fired it up and went for a ride, no popping!

The baffle from Dennis Kirk is straight through as well, I found a sink strainer stainless at Lowes that will fit inside the baffle.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-1-5-in-Chrome-Stainless-Steel-Rust-Resistant-Strainer-Basket-with-Basket-Included/1000604431

It changes the tone from a Bop Bop to a Fuss Fuss but Dbs measure about the same so it stays out for now.
2015 Classic 500
2021 Himalayan