Author Topic: Tuned 535 GT Asbo 44 Black Mountain road rest.  (Read 5836 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 01, 2022, 08:58:54 pm
All is explained in the video regarding all the tuning work, which was done last year, but there were no performance cams available from Hitchcocks until recently, when the owner bought a set and brought them and the bike to me a few days ago, so I could add the finishing touch. I have to say, the result went better than I was expecting!
B.W.

https://youtu.be/64TVt7jTsns

Softlysoftlycatcheemonkey

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 10:23:33 pm
...this is the moment I've been waiting for...does ASBO 44 have a Power Commander installed and if so is the rev extend activated, or do you think the stock ecu only limits the fueling rev limit but not the spark ( meaning replacing the fuel injection with a carb removes the rev limit restriction a bit )?...DON'T WAIT FOR THE TRANSLATION!!...

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 10:57:52 pm
...this is the moment I've been waiting for...does ASBO 44 have a Power Commander installed and if so is the rev extend activated, or do you think the stock ecu only limits the fueling rev limit but not the spark ( meaning replacing the fuel injection with a carb removes the rev limit restriction a bit )?...DON'T WAIT FOR THE TRANSLATION!!...
I am pretty sure the bike was standard apart from the silencer when I first worked on it and made all the other changes apart from the cams. When the injector etc were removed, a few connections were unplugged and the engine management light is now lit all the time, but I don't think any of the engine management system has ever been changed. I don't think these machines have rev limiters, I think between their standard state of tune, cam timings, valve springs etc, they just run out of steam and hit a wall just before 5,000 rpm. This one was pulling hard at 7,000 rpm in third gear, during that last overtake.
 B.W.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 11:30:45 pm
Pulling hard at 7K RPM  :o
Did you think retarding the inlet performance cam is a must have ?

If the engine revs up to 7K RPM we have the answer ! As you probably know Rev Xtend is limited to 6.5K RPM (That's the config I have on mine) and it won't accelerate past 6.5K so it's most probably a fuel cut only. By the way it does strange things past 5.5 K RPM : if you turn off the throttle then back on : nothing ! You have to wait for the revs to drop below 5.5K then you can re-accelerate. (at least on my Euro 4 535).

Maybe I will have to install a carb sooner or later  ???

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 03:52:55 am
Uber nice bike!!!!
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 11:10:31 am
Pulling hard at 7K RPM  :o
Did you think retarding the inlet performance cam is a must have ?

Maybe I will have to install a carb sooner or later  ???
In the case of the machines I have tuned, retarding the inlet cam timing helps get the inlet valve and piston crown back to a safer distance from each other after the barrel has been shortened a little, but a happy side effect, both with these machines and many Bullets I have tuned, is the increase in rpm and power at higher rpm, with a small loss of bottom end 'Thump'.
 As far as carb conversions go, they would be a must for me - the settings on this one are different to the out of the box settings by Hitchcocks, with a 240 main jet and 107 needle jet in the MK1 Concentric 32 mm carb, but it is so easy to make changes to the fueling, if required.
 B.W.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 12:22:47 pm
Thanks for your answer Paul ! I keep your settings just in case I need it one day  ;)

At the moment my engine is disassembled (gearbox main bearing failure) and I'm waiting to get my crankshaft back after a disassembly to install H's improved conrod and a balancing.
So I'm still scratching my head to find if I should install the intake cam retarded by one tooth or not... Your ASBO 44 convinced me to dot it  :)

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 10:32:52 am
    Thank you for posting your findings; it's a very generous way to run a business. I've been waiting for better/more minds to chime in, but before the bread turns stale I'd have several things I'd like to know. ( I'll probably leave it to one question per post so you don't have to sort through too-much-novice-at-once. ) With the alterations you've made to ASBO 44 do you think the stock ignition timing is good enough for running beyond what was the rev limit?

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 01:32:57 pm
    Thank you for posting your findings; it's a very generous way to run a business. I've been waiting for better/more minds to chime in, but before the bread turns stale I'd have several things I'd like to know. ( I'll probably leave it to one question per post so you don't have to sort through too-much-novice-at-once. ) With the alterations you've made to ASBO 44 do you think the stock ignition timing is good enough for running beyond what was the rev limit?
Thank you for your interest in this. The best way I can answer that is to say this machine performed well in excess of my expectations and I certainly didn't feel the need to question the ignition timing, advance curve, or any other related areas. There are a couple of other 'Asbo' 535 GT machines which are very similar and also run performance cams timed to my specs, but this is the only one currently running with a head I modified slightly too, as well as my usual modifications and performance cams timed to my specs. Another machine is up to this spec with the head mods, but last I heard of it was still running standard cams, with the inlet retarded and I would expect that to probably go as well as this machine if / when fitted with performance cams timed to my specs.
 I think there has been a lot of 'over thinking' where the tuning of these machines is concerned and most of what is required to make these machines fly is already present and correct and just in need of some modifications, such as combustion chamber tidying around the valves, shortening the barrels as required and a little porting work. Bolt on stuff which I would consider 'must have' items would include decent valves and springs, performance cams, carburettor conversion and a decent exhaust system.
 I have no idea what Asbo 44 could do in terms of top speed, but I am sure it could get into three figures with no trouble and there are no flat spots, although the engine likes to be at north of 3,000 rpm in the higher gears and really wakes up at around 4,000 rpm, pulling strongly to 7,000 rpm, according to what I saw on the rev counter. All the other Asbo GT's have been able to reach 6,000 - 6,500 rpm with no problems, which is also well above standard.
 B.W.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 01:56:22 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 03:41:56 pm
Just noticed, and it seems it is too late to edit my mistake now, but I called this thread 'Tuned 535 GT Asbo 44 Black Mountain road rest', when I obviously meant road TEST! And on 01 April, too  ::) It was no joke and the 7,000 RPM and everything else it did were all real, I promise!
Must concentrate harder when posting in future, I just got carried away in all the excitement!

B.W.

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 08:27:24 am
    No harm done; you're state is highlighted at the 51:44 mark in your recording. In a day or so I'll sort myself and next ask about carbs ( Amal mk1...mk2...32mm...34mm ). I hope you and your family was well for Easter.

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 08:36:58 am
and I think "rest." is also an abbreviation for restoration so there is some leeway.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2022, 02:05:56 pm
    No harm done; you're state is highlighted at the 51:44 mark in your recording. In a day or so I'll sort myself and next ask about carbs ( Amal mk1...mk2...32mm...34mm ). I hope you and your family was well for Easter.
Thanks - I just took a look and it is at the 50.40 - 50.45 mark in my video where the tacho needle goes out of sight in 3rd gear as I overtake two cars and exceed 7,000 RPM while doing so.
 B.W.

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 02:36:05 pm
    In various postings you've mentioned that if you owned a Continental gt 535 you'd prefer installing an Amal 34mm mk2 ( over other brands ). After the success of ASBO 44 with it's 32mm mk1 do you think though that 32mms might be sufficient, or would the smaller bore be too restrictive overall compared? ( My bike is currently held at bay for "covid delayed" warranty work, but when I've had it I'd put in 4,500 miles of errands and short tours limited so far by the stock seat. Beside fancying a better seat I'll probably fabricate an airbox to fill the space occupied by the battery, utility box, mudflap and current airbox, and add a foreward facing air intake with filter; all this just because my mind wanders. When I carb convert I'll have to account for this change in addition to those you've mentioned performing and the header/muffler. )

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 10:50:25 pm
    In various postings you've mentioned that if you owned a Continental gt 535 you'd prefer installing an Amal 34mm mk2 ( over other brands ). After the success of ASBO 44 with it's 32mm mk1 do you think though that 32mms might be sufficient, or would the smaller bore be too restrictive overall compared? ( My bike is currently held at bay for "covid delayed" warranty work, but when I've had it I'd put in 4,500 miles of errands and short tours limited so far by the stock seat. Beside fancying a better seat I'll probably fabricate an airbox to fill the space occupied by the battery, utility box, mudflap and current airbox, and add a foreward facing air intake with filter; all this just because my mind wanders. When I carb convert I'll have to account for this change in addition to those you've mentioned performing and the header/muffler. )
Going by the Electra X I tuned for Hitchcocks in 2008, where increases in carb sizes from 32 - 34 - 36 mm also increased the power in corresponding steps, from small to full throttle openings as proven on a dyno, I would be tempted to fit either a 34, or maybe even a 36 mm carb on a 535 GT ported to suit [the Electra X porting had to be left as standard btw], as I am sure Asbo 44 still had a lot to give that would be reigned in by the 32 mm carb currently fitted.
B.W.