Author Topic: First Ride on the 535  (Read 800 times)

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
on: January 12, 2022, 11:22:26 pm
After a week of unusually warm weather my dirt road thawed out enough to get a motorcycle down it to the highway below. I was just going to start the bike and put it through a heat cycle but the kid in me got the best of me and off I went in 40 degree F temperatures. The engine is transformed! I never gave it more than half throttle yet on grades it used to crawl up with the stock configuration it pulled with ease, I can only imagine what it will be like when it's broken in, without wringing the tits off it I think it will be joy to ride. The bike is also lighter without the starter and sprag, I could feel it just pushing it around today and on the road with more displacement and compression I'm sure I was feeling it there as well. Two other thing to note for this ride...I actually had brakes! Careful setup and new front shoes from H's made a world of difference. The other notable was the shifting, while I put in heavier clutch springs I think what was giving me more positive shifts was the ball bearing clutch release bearing I added in place of the stock piece, I think it really does reduce drag with the clutch disengaged between shifts. So for a chilly three mile ride when I got back home I was pretty pleased and looking forward to the next longer ride though snows in the forecast so it may be awhile. As of now no oil leaks, I'll see how long that lasts.

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 06:29:38 am
Great Stuff!!! Very jealous as I am still waiting for a fuel tap to arrive before I get a rego check! All I have is ridden around a car park :( 
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 06:33:11 am
Great news about the brakes too! I am looking forward to ride reports.
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 08:47:41 am
Yep I think jealous is the word but it is mid summer here and riding the Bullet a couple of times  a week at least so not a bad situation, but yes very interesting reporting KC as your bike is low kms (miles) to start with like mine and I have similar plans for a "build up" our coming winter . Did you use a compression plate or retard inlet cam  , what was your secret remedy for your build?  Enjoy your few days of sunshine while they last  😎

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 02:32:04 pm
Yep I think jealous is the word but it is mid summer here and riding the Bullet a couple of times  a week at least so not a bad situation, but yes very interesting reporting KC as your bike is low kms (miles) to start with like mine and I have similar plans for a "build up" our coming winter . Did you use a compression plate or retard inlet cam  , what was your secret remedy for your build?  Enjoy your few days of sunshine while they last  😎

I bought a compression plate in case I need it, after I start to get some miles on it I'll have a better grasp of what I've got. In cool temps with high octane petrol there was no pinging. After break in when the rings have seated themselves and I can run the engine in normal fashion I will have a good base line to go by and I will then retard the inlet cam a tooth to see what happens there, I'm looking forward to trying it