Author Topic: New member from Germany  (Read 5483 times)

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: January 09, 2022, 04:50:41 pm
It will be interesting to see what sort of mileage figures 535 owners have been getting, especially for the more highly-developed ones, which are presumably the most enthusiastically ridden.

11 000 Km so far. Bought it at 5500 Km. We'll see  :o

Fingers crossed  ;D

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #31 on: January 09, 2022, 04:56:02 pm
Good on you, Adrian. Thanks for that. Personally, I haven't seen many high milage ones around here. I met chap at a bike show a few years ago who'd ridden his AVL bullet around Australia 3 times. He said his crank failed at 17,000km and the replacement one was still going. I don't remember the  milage on his bike but it'd be getting up there after 3 laps.
As I said, mine's 55,000km so far. Runs great, sits on 120 for hours if it needs to and gets ridden "enthusiastically". It's not stock but not a super hotrod like Otto's one. Wish my big end luck!

Thanks.  ;D ...compared to most anything that folks ride around on an open A license it´s still a lame duck though.  ;)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #32 on: January 09, 2022, 05:01:09 pm
@ Gizzo,

the big-end design was simply copied from Japanese practice instead of the old British style which has the hardened steel outer race pressed into the rod. If Nipponese singles get high mileages from this, dear old RE (India) ought to be capable of it. Later Electra-Xs were supposed to be better, but my first one was a fairly early '05, the big-end lasted 17.5k miles/28k kilometres, some were failing a lot sooner. Fast forward a few years and your own CGT would seem to proof that RE did indeed up their game if it' has been happy with serious use. It's more the occasional one failing now rather than whole batches, AFAIK.

If I were looking at a CGT 535 for serious and sustained hooligan use the Alpha Bearings conversion would still be top of the list, along with the other upgrades listed. I shall probably never own one, at least not whole one, there is a sort of weirdo project I have in mind, but I will need to see what the current going rate for used kidneys is.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #33 on: January 09, 2022, 05:01:22 pm
11 000 Km so far. Bought it at 5500 Km. We'll see  :o

Fingers crossed  ;D

20.000km for mine.  ::) ...second crank´s got about 3000km. The good news is the engine can be rebuild in a matter of hours provided you have good spare part accessibility.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: January 09, 2022, 06:07:57 pm
I don't know if it's a good news. I'm not that impatient  ;D

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #35 on: January 09, 2022, 06:24:56 pm
I don't know if it's a good news. I'm not that impatient  ;D

;D...agree there is still the winters and bronterocs aren't running around yet, plenty of time to do that job.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: January 09, 2022, 06:54:52 pm
Bronterocs ? Don't look up  ;D

Luki1975

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: March 16, 2022, 08:40:56 am
Hi,

I'm Frank from Leipzig. 46 years old and owner of a 2016 Conti GT535. I bought the GT already converted into a Cafe Racer (I earn no credit for this.)

The previous owner didn't use the bike for riding and fortunately I found this GT in February 2019 for sale.

Currently 5000km ridden but since 2000km the oil consumption seems to be very high (approx. 150ml per 250km). The cylinder head has been replaced by a new one but without an improvement.

I will keep an eye on this and will go back to the garage if necessary.

Kind regards,
Frank

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #38 on: March 16, 2022, 09:16:12 am
Welcome aboard, Frank. Nice looking bike you have there. The black and silver works well.
maybe it's burning oil because the PO didn't follow a good break in procedure? Mine also burns a bit of oil but nowhere near like yours. That seems quite excessive. On the up side, removing the head and cylinder to fit new rings is super easy and shouldn't cost much.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: March 16, 2022, 09:36:37 am
Welcome Frank !

As Gizzo said most probably it's a cylinder/rings sealing problem caused by an improper break-in.
You should check the cylinder walls with a cheap endoscope to see if there is any scoring marks.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #40 on: March 16, 2022, 11:38:44 am
I would check not to overfill it, in which case some oil may be consumed through the vent pipe from the gearbox into the airbox. Checking the oil level on these bikes can be a bit challenging.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #41 on: March 16, 2022, 01:03:02 pm
I would check not to overfill it, in which case some oil may be consumed through the vent pipe from the gearbox into the airbox. Checking the oil level on these bikes can be a bit challenging.
Good point...
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Luki1975

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: March 16, 2022, 02:43:37 pm
Thanks for the welcome and hint regarding the oil consumption.

I have a sophisticated oil level check procedure  ;D An overfill is nearly impossible. Every time I've checked the airbox I've found the box dry. 

Next action will focused on the piston rings.

Thanks again.

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: March 16, 2022, 05:39:05 pm
Welcome aboard Ralf.  I am also somewhat new here.  I have a 2014 CGT as well and am from the states.   Both of your bikes look great!  I just picked my bike up a month or so ago.  Haven't been able to ride it due to winter weather.  Too much white stuff on the ground.  However, took it for my first ride yesterday.  It only had 500 miles on it when I bought it, so it is still breaking in.  I wasn't expecting much performance wise and wasn't disappointed.   ;D   She is nimble and likes to go around corners but I need to get some decent rubber on her.  The original tires are hard as a rock and I wouldn't trust them to any hard cornering.  I will ride it for a bit then start playing with the engine.  It definitely needs some help with the fuel map.  I will probably start off with a better breathing pipe, air filter and install a Power Commander. I will then take to a guy I know who can put it on a dyno and properly tune it.  This guy is really good and has built/tuned many engines for pro's that drag race and run at Bonneville salt flats.  He will get as much HP and torque out of her as possible given those changes.  I want to keep it somewhat reliable and do not want to turn it into a race bike, but would like to get a few more beans out of her and better response on the throttle.  I am not impressed with the stock fuel map at all.  It will be a fun project.  I am quite interested in the changes to your bullet and would like to hear how the performance changed from stock.  If you get a moment, please let us know!

Ratz

• Scooter
Reply #44 on: March 29, 2022, 03:07:37 pm
Hallo Frank, ein herzliches Willkommen aus Franken. Deine Conti sieht echt sexy aus  8)
Hopefully a set of new piston rings will sort your problems. You may contact Flo Nytz for further advice. He usually has all the required spare parts in stock. Flo is very friendly and always happy to help.
Beste Grüße nach Leipzig,

Ralf
2006 Bullet 500
2014 Continental GT
1996 Suzuki LS 650