Author Topic: New member from Germany  (Read 5488 times)

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 05:50:50 pm
165 at the GPS with injection and stock piston/crankshaft is possible  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k2PjlxD66w

If you have the time to read 25 pages  ;D

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=29864.0

Ratz

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 06:10:27 pm
Hi Adrian,
thanks for the different sources you've mentioned, I'll check them out.
In my hands a powercommander will eventually go up in flames, computers and programming isn't mine... So it will be the carby road to go down.
I'm not keen to do the ton on the GT. I'll be happy to get her up to 140km, just like she should. I also have some cold starting issues to be solved - probably due to the K&N and GPR silencer.
The air/fuel ratio can be easily adjusted with a carburator, the Amal is really sexy, it would be the perfect fit!
And a four valve head, oh yeah!
Now it's winter and I have the time to soak up all the information, hints and tips provided by this great forum.
Hopefully I also can participate somehow!
Cheers
Ralf
2006 Bullet 500
2014 Continental GT
1996 Suzuki LS 650

Ratz

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 06:18:02 pm
Hi Taurim, RESPECT!
Thanks for the link, I'll go through it.

Amitiés
Ralf
2006 Bullet 500
2014 Continental GT
1996 Suzuki LS 650

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 10:05:14 pm
IMO , reliability mods should be higher on the list of things to do than HP ones.

A couple that come to mind :
replace primary chain with non OEM

Replace exhaust valve with a 1 piece non OEM (squish mod while the head's off)

Bypass the side stand switch

Check clutch and flywheel bolt/nut is tight & loctited (while you're doing the primary chain)

Anyone think of other things? I think these things are worth doing, especially seeing Ralf's bike is a first year built one.

Then go nuts building HP.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 11:12:17 pm
If there are reliability concerns, then I would also replace the original con-rod for one fitted with an Alpha Bearings big end conversion, this has the UK-made crank pin as well as the con-rod big-end eye machined out for a hardened outer race instead of relying on the  con-rod itself to provide the outer bearing surface. Same item as available for the Electra-X and the 500 EFI Bullets.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/crankshaft-engine/22876

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #20 on: January 09, 2022, 12:02:14 am
If there are reliability concerns, then I would also replace the original con-rod for one fitted with an Alpha Bearings big end conversion, this has the UK-made crank pin as well as the con-rod big-end eye machined out for a hardened outer race instead of relying on the  con-rod itself to provide the outer bearing surface. Same item as available for the Electra-X and the 500 EFI Bullets.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/crankshaft-engine/22876

A.

I see your point but it doesn't seem like the big end is such a weak point on the UCE? Maybe it depends on whether Kuldeep was paying attention when he was whacking the crank true at the factory. The things I mentioned were easy fixes to prevent known problems occurring to those early GT's. In any case I've done those jobs to mine and haven't spat the primary chain from the case or dropped a valve. If the big end does fail, I'll certainly upgrade to the H one....
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Ratz

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: January 09, 2022, 10:26:41 am
Hi guys,
thanks for the input, looks like 55000km can be done on a early CGT without major alterations!
And yes, reliability is a bigger concern than HP.

Cheers
Ralf
2006 Bullet 500
2014 Continental GT
1996 Suzuki LS 650

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #22 on: January 09, 2022, 11:04:56 am
Hi guys,
thanks for the input, looks like 55000km can be done on a early CGT without major alterations!
And yes, reliability is a bigger concern than HP.

Cheers
Ralf

Hi Ratz,

The reliability for a 535cc single is fine. It won´t be ever as reliable as a 1000cc bike that runs on 10-20% power output most of the time, that´s got to be understood.

For me some more power was important since overtaking something that moves about 80kmh on the "bundesstrasse" is a pain in the Arsch with a bike that hardly does 120kmh peak.

Tthe realiability issues are to be found in the chassis and wirering components, most all of them have been tackeld here on the forum so there is information to be found should you need it.

prost,
O.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #23 on: January 09, 2022, 11:40:17 am
Hi guys,

So far, so good. Let's see if it makes it to 100,000 without major fixing. I hope so.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Ratz

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: January 09, 2022, 12:26:40 pm
Hi Gizzo, I hope so too, fingers crossed!

Hi O.,
that's fully understood and I completely agree. But it also depends on the sort of 1000cc bike. I owned a Ironhead and finally gave up after a 5 years ordeal...  that bike was a real pain in the arsch  :)
The GT is the replacement for the Ironhead  8)
2006 Bullet 500
2014 Continental GT
1996 Suzuki LS 650

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #25 on: January 09, 2022, 12:30:33 pm
The Ironhead looks really sweat though... 8)

Ratz

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: January 09, 2022, 12:40:13 pm
Thanks, but she was a real bitch...
... one day riding - two days wrenching   ;D
2006 Bullet 500
2014 Continental GT
1996 Suzuki LS 650

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 09, 2022, 01:41:22 pm
"tuning cylinderhead"

Hi Ratz - welcome to the forum.
  Short of replacing the entire head, you have the option of stainless steel valves. The intake is 1mm oversize. With stock valves the heads are friction welded to the stems. These valves are all one piece.
Cheers,
Bill G
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #28 on: January 09, 2022, 02:33:26 pm
I see your point but it doesn't seem like the big end is such a weak point on the UCE? Maybe it depends on whether Kuldeep was paying attention when he was whacking the crank true at the factory. The things I mentioned were easy fixes to prevent known problems occurring to those early GT's. In any case I've done those jobs to mine and haven't spat the primary chain from the case or dropped a valve. If the big end does fail, I'll certainly upgrade to the H one....

It's the same design of con-rod and big-end on the EFI and CGT as on the Electra-X, only the later ones don't have the bronze bush for the gudgeon/wrist pin. I think it IS fair to say I have come across fewer reported examples of EFI/CGT big-end failure than on the Electra-X, which I hope is down to improved quality control/material selection/processing, etc. but it's still not unknown. Conduct your own risk assessment!  ;D It will be interesting to see what sort of mileage figures 535 owners have been getting, especially for the more highly-developed ones, which are presumably the most enthusiastically ridden.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #29 on: January 09, 2022, 03:53:48 pm
It's the same design of con-rod and big-end on the EFI and CGT as on the Electra-X, only the later ones don't have the bronze bush for the gudgeon/wrist pin. I think it IS fair to say I have come across fewer reported examples of EFI/CGT big-end failure than on the Electra-X, which I hope is down to improved quality control/material selection/processing, etc. but it's still not unknown. Conduct your own risk assessment!  ;D It will be interesting to see what sort of mileage figures 535 owners have been getting, especially for the more highly-developed ones, which are presumably the most enthusiastically ridden.

A.
Good on you, Adrian. Thanks for that. Personally, I haven't seen many high milage ones around here. I met chap at a bike show a few years ago who'd ridden his AVL bullet around Australia 3 times. He said his crank failed at 17,000km and the replacement one was still going. I don't remember the  milage on his bike but it'd be getting up there after 3 laps.
As I said, mine's 55,000km so far. Runs great, sits on 120 for hours if it needs to and gets ridden "enthusiastically". It's not stock but not a super hotrod like Otto's one. Wish my big end luck!
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E