Author Topic: Euro 5 cold Starting Problem  (Read 2792 times)

Normsthename

• Scooter
on: December 14, 2021, 10:02:23 pm
Hi
I am new to the Forum 😀
A few months ago I bought a Brand New Euro 5 (with Tripper) Pine Green model
Everything has been fine except for a cold starting idling issue.
The Bike fires up from cold easily enough but for about 30 seconds the bike will not idle and I have to hold the throttle at a fast tickover.
After 30 seconds the bike warms up a little and it will tickover.
I have heard about an adjustment that can be done to cure this fault but cannot find out how to do it.
The Bike has done 250 miles and I plan on doing the first service myself.
I have no trust at all in the dealer that I purchased the bike from, the PDI was very poor so I don't fancy letting them loose on the bike again!
Any ideas greatly appreciated 😁

Andy
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 10:04:27 pm by Normsthename »

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 09:05:16 am
Simply, take it to a dealer, if not the one you don't like, then another one. The adjustment should be easy enough but there seems to be a variety of settings it should be set at. It could be there are other things that need looking at.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 12:38:05 am
Are you using the fast idle lever on the left handlebar? Often mistaken for a choke lever.

I am about to get a Himalayan, but own a Classic 500 which has a similar arrangement. For cold starts I use the lever and back it off after about 10 to 15 seconds, and the bike idles fine after that.
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C

Normsthename

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 02:08:17 am
Are you using the fast idle lever on the left handlebar? Often mistaken for a choke lever.
It's a 2021 Euro5 Model and does not have the fast idle lever 😀
That would have solved the problem!
Simply, take it to a dealer, if not the one you don't like, then another one.
Like I said the dealer is useless and not to be trusted with a Pushbike! No other RE dealer close.
After the awful PDI they even managed to fit the numberplate to the wrong Bike!!!
Had a letter from DVLA asking me to confirm the VIN number etc.
Turns out the VIN and Engine Number were wrong on the V5 and I am currently getting them changed to the correct numbers...

Andy

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 08:42:59 am

I am about to get a Himalayan, but own a Classic 500 which has a similar arrangement. For cold starts I use the lever and back it off after about 10 to 15 seconds, and the bike idles fine after that.
During my Himmy break in (1,800 miles)  I held the fast idle lever a good 60 seconds on cold morning start ups. Now that I have 9,000 miles on it I only need to hold it 15-20 seconds.  My RE 500 UCE motors have always started much easier on cold mornings.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 04:24:59 am
It's a 2021 Euro5 Model and does not have the fast idle lever 😀
That would have solved the problem!

Andy

Ah. I had no idea the newest model have discarded the fast idle. There is absolutely zero mention of it in any review I’ve read or watched. Wow. Ah well, I dunno then. I guess do the Royal Enfield solution, stand there holding the throttle slightly open while the engine warms up. 😂
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 03:44:12 pm
Those relays can be a bone of contention on the new model lots of people are having issues with them on the web.

Normsthename

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 06:31:09 pm
Those relays can be a bone of contention on the new model lots of people are having issues with them on the web.
I have read about the fuel pump relay problems.
I took the precaution of buying a spare relay and storing it under the seat wrapped in bubble wrap 😀

Andy

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 10:29:41 pm
I have read about the fuel pump relay problems.
I took the precaution of buying a spare relay and storing it under the seat wrapped in bubble wrap 😀

Andy

FWIW that seems to be more of an Inteceptor issue than one concerning the Himilayans, and manifests itself with random shut-offs, not hard starting.  But in any event it never hurts to be prepared.

Normsthename

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 06:03:32 pm
FWIW that seems to be more of an Inteceptor issue than one concerning the Himilayans, and manifests itself with random shut-offs, not hard starting.  But in any event it never hurts to be prepared.
The latest Euro5 Himalayan model is very troublesome.
A lot of owners have been stranded by the side of the road when the relay has failed.
Royal Enfield must be using a really cheap relay.

Andy

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 01:59:41 pm
The latest Euro5 Himalayan model is very troublesome.
A lot of owners have been stranded by the side of the road when the relay has failed.
Royal Enfield must be using a really cheap relay.

Andy

That's news to me, but all the owners I know own Euro4 versions. I'm also a little confused because the OP was concerned about his bike's reluctance to idle when cold, which almost certainly isn't a relay issue, just a matter of the mapping being a little lean.

Has anyone actually tested a relay and found it to have an open circuit or some such or do they just assume that the thing has failed? And by the same token does installing a new or higher quality relay solve the problem?

When the issue first appeared on the Interceptors guys went nuts cleaning and replacing relays but there was never a definitive problem found and it didn't always cure the problem. Complicating the issue is the fact the Interceptors always seem to restart simply by cycling the key. Do the E5 versions restart after dying ? From your comment that the owners are left stranded I have to assume the bikes won't restart, which hasn't been the case when an Interceptor suffers from a random shut-off problem.   

I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to determine if the relay is really the problem or if there is something else going on. For example an intermittent connection that causes the relay to suddenly open, or even an ECU issue.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 02:03:30 pm by zimmemr »

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 03:11:40 pm
Well my conclusions are based on these euro 5 bikes get more complexed as they go along, l don’t think they want owners working on them, but what good are unreliable bikes no good at all. What love for a set of points and carb just like the old days real reliability.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 03:13:53 pm by Carl Fenn »

Normsthename

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 07:56:07 pm
I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to determine if the relay is really the problem or if there is something else going on. For example an intermittent connection that causes the relay to suddenly open, or even an ECU issue.

https://youtu.be/PeLSFTBPG3w

Andy

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 09:26:21 pm
https://youtu.be/PeLSFTBPG3w

Andy

Interesting, on the surface it sounds exactly like what's happening with some of the Interceptors. They shut off for no reason usually when the throttle is shut as you'd do entering a turn, and then restart after the igntion has been cycled from on to off and back to on.  To the best of my knowledge RE hasn't done a thing to resolve the situation with the Interceptors, so I'm curious as to what they'll do if the problem becomes more wide spread.

Part of the issue is that it's an intermittent problem and for all practical purposes impossible to duplicate in the shop. A few of the Interceptors that are afflicted with random shut offs have had every relay on the bike replaced without fixing it, though in a couple of cases the issue went away, only to resurface after several thousand miles.

There are a bunch of theories as to what's going on. While the relays are or were the prime suspect guys have replaced or in some cases eliminated  everything from the ignition, clutch, kick stand and roll over switches to the kill button, all with a notable lack of success.  I haven't encountered anyone that's replaced the wiring harness or ECU (yet), but it strikes me that the solution may involve exactly that.

In any event until RE admits there's a problem with some of the Interceptors and apparently the Euro 5 Himalayans we'll probably be seeing a lot more videos like that.

OurDee

• nobody
  • Neophyte
  • Summum Bonum
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 08:13:14 am
Almost sounds like a bank angle sensor on the Interceptors.
ride