Author Topic: How concerned are folks about parts availability?  (Read 2707 times)

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #15 on: November 18, 2021, 07:48:54 pm
Although all the "consumable parts" like filters and rubber peg covers seem to be in good supply, I've already noticed that major lumps, like a spare engine or replacement frame, have increased substantially in price compared to the time before discontinuation of the UCE was announced, and gotten scarcer.  I think this is true of both IB and UCE models.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: November 18, 2021, 08:53:28 pm
In my experience, an example of that is Yamaha. While I don't know what the situation is now, in the past Yamaha parts for many discontinued models would be hard to come by within just a couple of years after Yamaha would give up on the bike and move on to another completely new design.  My daughter's first motorcycle, a 1987 SRX250TC, comes to mind.   :(
I remember finding out many years ago that Mitsui the Yamaha importers had a policy of deliberately scrapping all Yamaha spares held in stock a certain time (can't remember exactly how long but it wasn't long) after any model went out of production - they would just throw them all in a skip to be scrapped! So for that reason I have never bought a Yamaha - I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole!
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #17 on: November 18, 2021, 09:03:18 pm
I think the trick to a good parts supply is to pick a model that has been in production for years. Previously I owned a Yamaha Scorpio 225. It had the same engine as 500 bazllion other 225cc Yamaha bikes and I never had trouble getting parts for it. I'm sure there are plenty of other long lived models out there.

Wait, you had to buy spares for a Scorpio? What happened, are you OK.🤔😁
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: November 18, 2021, 09:36:50 pm
I probably worded that wrong gizzo. I had no trouble getting normal service parts. The bike had 50,000km on it when I sold it and it was still going great.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #19 on: November 18, 2021, 10:33:01 pm
That's good to know. I was just funnin' ya about needing parts 😉. We have a XT225 that appears to be immortal.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #20 on: November 19, 2021, 01:21:40 am
Compare production numbers for the 500 UCE vice any MG.  You will be able to get maintenance parts for the UCE much longer than Pagani will be interested in making them for MGs.  You might be buying them from India on eBay but they will be available.  PS I bailed out of my 2019 V7 III Stone and that was one of the reasons -- Pagani dumped the powertrain in 2021.

And a great powertrain it is! Changing from a 750 to an 850 isn't exactly "dumping" a powertrain, now is it? But I digress immediately. There must be 2 or 3 million bullets out there so I don't think parts will ever be a problem.
9fingers

PS - Pagani is an Italian car mfg. Piaggio owns Moto Guzzi.
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 19, 2021, 03:08:21 am
I think you make a goid point Bilge- 24-48hrs and I can get virtually any part (others may take a bit of searching) for my 56 MGA and 58 Austin Healey 3000 and they made  SHITLOADS more bikes👍
As far as Oz us concerned legislation says importers MUST make parts available for 29yrs after a model ceases sale.

SORRY GUY'S  - meant to say 10yrs!
however the point seems to have been taken that if parts for Old classic cars are available when they probably produced 1000 x more bikes then NO WORRIES as is the favoured response in Oz👍
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 23, 2021, 09:07:45 pm
Judging by the web l don’t think parts for Enfield will run out anytime soon.

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: December 31, 2021, 01:31:14 am
The problem with Australia is that most imported automotive parts as well as the brands are not official. They’re a third party business who has a go. Our market is tiny, therefore can’t sustain things on such a small scale. In addition to this the authorised distributors aren’t equipped supporting a brand of that magnitude.

Most markets in the world have an official marque supporting the brand and dealers. In Australia it’ll be some importer which has many facets of business, with perhaps Royal Enfield being one business product line.

Australia seemed to be a country where car manufacturers would come  in, fail to make inroads and quit, leaving customers high & dry! Last one was Opel who G.M sold a couple of models badges as Holden, so Opal opened dealership selling bigger range but same car at a "European" Premium Price .....lasted 13mths! but as .M no issue on parts, not same with others from Eastern Block, European, Malaysia, etc....
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 31, 2021, 07:58:34 am
The problem with Australia is that most imported automotive parts as well as the brands are not official. They’re a third party business who has a go. Our market is tiny, therefore can’t sustain things on such a small scale. In addition to this the authorised distributors aren’t equipped supporting a brand of that magnitude.

Most markets in the world have an official marque supporting the brand and dealers. In Australia it’ll be some importer which has many facets of business, with perhaps Royal Enfield being one business product line.
AGREED  - there's some very AVERAGE importers who carry numerous brands and if they don't move enough units they just pull the pin! same with electrical, tools etc... that said when someone like OPEL have an official network and walk after 11mths handing it over to Holden because both  G.M who can we TRUST 🤔 In Opel's (G.M) case it was GREED as they  thought we'd pay a premium for European  - Eh NO!  so rebadge as Holden, drop prices and Sells..... Mercedes tried it with Sangyong Ute's, and again with re clothed Nissans.... and Renault seem to yo-yo in & out....
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍