Author Topic: Silencer fit issues  (Read 909 times)

mistakes

• leanXburn
  • Scooter
  • countdown to sprag death
on: March 24, 2022, 04:26:27 am
Hello all.

I've recently purchased an '08 AVL Classic (Bullet frame, AVL motor). The stock header pipe was in horrible condition, so I replaced it with #91021 from Hitchcock's, the "longer" pipe. However, now my stock silencer (extra long and fat, maybe US only?) will not fit as the header pipe is too long for its short inlet. When I tried to install a friend's stock silencer from his '07 Bullet, it also did not want to fit as the inlet pipe was so long it was overlapping with the header too much and wouldn't slide all the way on. I've surmised I will need a "short style" silencer, but am a little unsure which will correctly fit. Hitchcock's has one specifically made for the Electra X and my header pipe, but I'm worried about differences in the frames.
Does anyone know what/if the frame differences are between a "normal" Bullet and the Electra X and if it will mount correctly? There seems to be a version of this silencer made for Bullets and one for Electra X and the brackets seem to be different lengths, which is making me wonder about frame mounting points etc etc.

If anyone has any insight that would be very helpful, thanks!
1 of 3 non-Korean Enfield owners in Korea

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 06:21:14 pm
With some ingenuity and a piece of 1" x 1/8" malleable steel strap & some 5/16" grade #8 bolts you can create a new triangulated hangar mount using the passenger peg bolt & the original muffler support tab. The "approved" fix is to buy the "short" muffler for the "long" header. The Bullet likes long pipes, as do I, so if I was buying a new muffler I'd look at the "long straight thru" version and build a bracket. And there are also a virtual infinity of $30 automotive round "glass-packs" that are adaptable if you don't mind a painted muffler. For about $300 you can get a beautiful system from H's, it all depends on your finances, mechanical aptitude & desire to tinker.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/11449?ref_page=Bullet%20Export%20500cc
PART No. 91050 ; SILENCER ASSEMBLY, SHORT, 500cc, INDIAN MADE ; £74.00
This Indian made silencer is shorter and more freer flowing than the ones fitted as standard to the Indian Export Bullet Models. There are numerous different suppliers and qualities of exhaust systems available from India and we have chosen this particular silencer (and associated longer pipe) as they offer the best compromise between quality, fit and price. This short silencer needs to be fitted with the longer front pipe as listed (see ''Related Items'' below for details). This silencer has an inlet diameter where the exhaust pipe fits of 1.3/4 inches (approx. 45.00mm). Suitable for Redditch built 500cc Bullets (1953-55) and Indian built 500cc Bullets (1988 - 2008) ONLY. See ''Fitting Guide'' for details.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/11433?ref_page=Bullet%20Export%20500cc
PART No. 91007 ; SILENCER, WITH LONG INLET, 1.75'' ; £138.00
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 07:46:39 pm
The Indian-made silencer Hitchcocks' sell under part number 91050 seems to have quite a mark-up on what you would pay on ordering the exact same item directly from an Indian eBay supplier!

I would however suggest that sort of silencer/muffler rather than a straight through type, with all due respect to AzCal! In fact any Emgo universal silencer or similar should work with your extended exhaust pipe, just make sure the inside diameter is 44.5mm or 1.75 inches. Be aware that some are louder than others.

The other option, if you DO want to use the silencer off a 2007 iron barrel, is to cut the some of the end off your new pipe to suit, just leave about 40mm or so overlap where the muffler fits on. The original Bullet design (as copied under licence by Enfield India) started out with a short silencer and long pipe, but as the noise regulations got tougher the silencers got longer, which meant to pipes had to get shorter to match, otherwise the silencers would have been sticking way too far our at the back of the bike. Some might argue that the later models did, anyway.

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...