Author Topic: DNA airfilter and intake bracket for Meteor  (Read 4826 times)

Indobiker

• Scooter
on: August 25, 2021, 04:09:41 pm
I'm currently awaiting delivery of my Supernova Brown Meteor, and counting the days  :D... Wondering if anyone has upgraded to the DNA air filter and bracket (available from Hitchcocks and others), which apparently lets a lot more air into the engine and thereby increases performance?
Meteor 350 Supernova Brown

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 09:03:54 pm
I'm currently awaiting delivery of my Supernova Brown Meteor, and counting the days  :D... Wondering if anyone has upgraded to the DNA air filter and bracket (available from Hitchcocks and others), which apparently lets a lot more air into the engine and thereby increases performance?

I wouldn't call a 4.82% increase in airflow "a lot more air" by any stretch and whatever change you make with that will be compensated for by the EFI system and I doubt you will be able to tell any difference in the performance. It's a 350cc engine. Te really "hot it up" you would need to do larger pistons, hotter cams, different exhaust and a lot of fuss with the ECU.

Also, any air filter that allows more air than what the engineers designed the engine to have and the filter to supply that air, has to allow another level of fine particulate matter to enter the engine.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 12:23:04 am
A filter alone generally won’t do much but as Dexter points out, this would be part of an overall upgrade requiring multiple components.

A K&N filter alone seemed to negatively impact the power on my C500…..took porting, polishing, cams, springs, valves, piston, PC-5, UNI filter, header, exhaust, pushrods and a bunch of other mods to turn it into a beautifully performing hotrod engine.

Go for it and will await your observations as we plan our own upgrades  :)
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Indobiker

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 07:45:18 am
I wouldn't call a 4.82% increase in airflow "a lot more air" by any stretch and whatever change you make with that will be compensated for by the EFI system and I doubt you will be able to tell any difference in the performance. It's a 350cc engine. Te really "hot it up" you would need to do larger pistons, hotter cams, different exhaust and a lot of fuss with the ECU.

Also, any air filter that allows more air than what the engineers designed the engine to have and the filter to supply that air, has to allow another level of fine particulate matter to enter the engine.

4.82% improvement is for the filter alone. When combined with the Stage 2 bracket (which greatly increases air intake versus the stock 'snorkel'), DNA claims airflow increases by 99.48%, which should theoretically improve performance.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 08:09:24 pm
Will be interesting to see what TEC Bike Parts come up with.

Looks like they're very busy people at the moment.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 12:19:35 pm

That ought to really wake that mill up. Let's see a 20 hp slogger with a DNA filter would probably make about what? Maybe the exact same 20 hp? That's four less than my lawnmower. :o

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 04:13:39 pm
That ought to really wake that mill up. Let's see a 20 hp slogger with a DNA filter would probably make about what? Maybe the exact same 20 hp? That's four less than my lawnmower. :o

Sounds like one hell of a lawnmower!!
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 05:40:31 pm
Sounds like one hell of a lawnmower!!

I've got a lot of lawn to mow.   ;D

FWIW it's got a V-twin spinning the shafts.  :o

Indobiker

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 02:51:02 pm
Anyone here added the DNA air filter and bracket yet, or thinking of doing so? Just wonder if it makes an appreciable difference to performance, given that the combined cost of around GBP 80, plus shipping, is not insignificant.

markm228

• New RE & Meteor 350 Owner
  • Scooter
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 04:10:20 am
Guys,

I installed the DNA filter and airbox cover, and it makes a noticeable difference. While it won't turn the Meteor in to a superbike (it's a 350, after all), it'll make a difference you'll notice. My bike accelerated better in all gears; it had better throttle response. It even pulled better in fifth gear! Before the change, my Meteor would barely pull in fifth, especially if I was doing 40-45 mph when I shifted. Now, it pulls better in fifth gear. Plus, the intake noise is better.

Now, if you install the filter and airbox cover, MAKE SURE YOU LET IT IDLE FOR 10-12 MINUTES, MINIMUM! Between the DNA filter and airbox cover, a lot more air will be going in to the engine. The ECU needs time to learn the changes. This mod will flow more air, which will be seen at the O2 sensors. The ECU will make adjustments in response to the change. If it's cold outside, then allow more time to reach operating temperature. When you've reached operating temp, go for a brief 2-3 mile ride to make sure things are all right. If that's a go, then take a longer ride and ENJOY your bike!

What would really be interesting is doing the Red Rooster exhaust mod. Guys all over India are doing this to their Meteors, and you can find videos about the mod on YouTube. The muffler has a removable part that makes it even louder! The Indian boys call that piece a "DB killer". The Red Rooster mod is a high performance exhaust system that takes out the cat and the collector box, and replaces it with a straight pipe to connect the muffler with the head pipe. There's a bracket to stop the center stand, since the collector box is no longer there to do so. That would be interesting to do in concert with the filter mod. With the increased intake and exhaust flow, one might need to do a Power Commander with it.

But yeah, I installed the DNA filter and airbox cover. While it didn't make the Meteor a superbike, it made a noticeable change in the bike's performance. It pulled better in all gears, including fifth. Plus, it sounds better. All I can say is do the mod; you'll be GLAD you did!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 04:14:34 am by markm228 »
Previous Rides:
Motobecane Moped
Honda Expess II
Honda Express SR
1978 Yamaha XS400
1983 Yamaha Seca 750
1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2000 Kawasaki W650
1993 Honda Helix
2004 Honda Helix
2011 Suzuki Burgman 400

Current Rides:
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Indobiker

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 02:53:01 pm
Guys,

I installed the DNA filter and airbox cover, and it makes a noticeable difference. While it won't turn the Meteor in to a superbike (it's a 350, after all), it'll make a difference you'll notice. My bike accelerated better in all gears; it had better throttle response. It even pulled better in fifth gear! Before the change, my Meteor would barely pull in fifth, especially if I was doing 40-45 mph when I shifted. Now, it pulls better in fifth gear. Plus, the intake noise is better.

Now, if you install the filter and airbox cover, MAKE SURE YOU LET IT IDLE FOR 10-12 MINUTES, MINIMUM! Between the DNA filter and airbox cover, a lot more air will be going in to the engine. The ECU needs time to learn the changes. This mod will flow more air, which will be seen at the O2 sensors. The ECU will make adjustments in response to the change. If it's cold outside, then allow more time to reach operating temperature. When you've reached operating temp, go for a brief 2-3 mile ride to make sure things are all right. If that's a go, then take a longer ride and ENJOY your bike!

What would really be interesting is doing the Red Rooster exhaust mod. Guys all over India are doing this to their Meteors, and you can find videos about the mod on YouTube. The muffler has a removable part that makes it even louder! The Indian boys call that piece a "DB killer". The Red Rooster mod is a high performance exhaust system that takes out the cat and the collector box, and replaces it with a straight pipe to connect the muffler with the head pipe. There's a bracket to stop the center stand, since the collector box is no longer there to do so. That would be interesting to do in concert with the filter mod. With the increased intake and exhaust flow, one might need to do a Power Commander with it.

But yeah, I installed the DNA filter and airbox cover. While it didn't make the Meteor a superbike, it made a noticeable change in the bike's performance. It pulled better in all gears, including fifth. Plus, it sounds better. All I can say is do the mod; you'll be GLAD you did!

Great info. Did you install the new filter and bracket before or after the running in period?

markm228

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2021, 09:38:23 am
Great info. Did you install the new filter and bracket before or after the running in period?

Though I'm still in the run-in period, I installed the filter and airbox cover after doing the first service. Every time I take my bike out, I feel the engine loosen up more. Every time I take the bike out, it runs better.
Previous Rides:
Motobecane Moped
Honda Expess II
Honda Express SR
1978 Yamaha XS400
1983 Yamaha Seca 750
1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2000 Kawasaki W650
1993 Honda Helix
2004 Honda Helix
2011 Suzuki Burgman 400

Current Rides:

Indobiker

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2021, 04:55:06 pm
Thanks, I've just ordered the DNA air filter and cover bracket. Will share my experience of this upgrade in due course.

markm228

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 12:53:21 am
Thanks, I've just ordered the DNA air filter and cover bracket. Will share my experience of this upgrade in due course.
Great, I'm eager to hear your experiences with the DNA filter and airbox cover!
Previous Rides:
Motobecane Moped
Honda Expess II
Honda Express SR
1978 Yamaha XS400
1983 Yamaha Seca 750
1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2000 Kawasaki W650
1993 Honda Helix
2004 Honda Helix
2011 Suzuki Burgman 400

Current Rides:

applegrjoe

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 04:46:16 pm
I have 1000 miles on my Meteor and just installed the stage 2 DNA air filter on my Meteor.  It’s a little pricey in my opinion, but well worth it.  I will also state for a fact that the increased throttle response is very notice especially in third to fifth gear which lends itself to less downshifts going up hill.  The intake noise is amazing when accelerating and only adds to the visceral experience of riding a Meteor 350.  Spend the money you won’t regret it!