Author Topic: Euro5 Interceptor low speed stalling  (Read 11342 times)

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: November 07, 2021, 07:11:15 am
i have a euro4 bike and i've now had my 2021 gt650 stall a couple of times going off the line at stop lights. today the light turns green, i give some throttle and ease off the clutch as per usual. bike just dies. i've had this happen maybe 3 times total on this bike with about 2500km. which isnt terrible. but thats about 3 times more than its ever happened on my other bike with nearly 20,000km. i've never stalled just trying to get going and its embarrassing since cars are behind me.

i also cant tell from the analog dial, but it seems my bike has been idling closer to 1000rpm than 1200rpm. it kinda dances a bit. the temp here in canada is definitely getting colder recently (been riding in 0-10C or 32F-50F) so i dont know if that has anything to do with anything.

i did replace the exhausts with a pair of scorpions, but this also happened when i had stock exhaust still on there.

does this have something to do with the ecu and 'quickly switching from idle circuit to its low-speed circuit, and back again'? each time i have no idea if its 'dipping below to 800rpm' or anything since i'm not looking at the tach while riding.

nic_23

• Neophyte
Reply #31 on: November 08, 2021, 08:26:48 am
Hi All, did anybody solve this issue? I’m facing the same situation with an almost brand new interceptor and it’s quite annoying.

Browner

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: November 08, 2021, 09:41:39 am
Mine did exactly the same thing from new. Went back twice to the dealer who replaced the ecu. Completely different bike now with no issues. Good luck.

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: November 08, 2021, 10:09:32 am
Mine still does it!!! :( :( :( :(
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

SDias

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: November 24, 2021, 11:59:00 am
Hi guys

Same issue with my new 2021 EU5 Continental GT 650... it did it in the very same day I went to the dealer to pick it up! I tought it should be down to the bike being in the break-in period, but with all these comments here in the forum, I guess it´s not.

Still with only 200km (124 miles for you UK folks out there  ;)) it has happened 2 more times, always under the same circunstances. Small blips in the throttle at low revs, the rpm drops to 800 and if the blip occurs when the rpm is in that low range and it stalls. It always happens during very low speed manouvers, like in heavy traffic when you are squeezing through cars. It makes sense, because that´s when you´re giving small throttle inputs.

It seems it has to do with fuel managment by the ecu and not with any faulty sensor.

I guess I will wait for the post break-in first service at 500km (310 miles) to inquiry the dealer if they are aware of this issue and if there are more complaints from other owners or even a service bulletin issued by Royal Enfield regarding this issue.

I´ll be following this post and reply when the time comes.
2021 RE Continental GT650 Dux Deluxe 🏍️
Portugal

mowerman2005

• Bulleteer
  • 2021 Continental GT650 Ventura Storm
Reply #35 on: November 24, 2021, 06:08:07 pm
I had the same issue on my 2021 euro 5 spec conti GT....especially on the way home after picking it up new from the dealer, happened a few times on the 25 mile journey home. It did get better after about 400 - 500 miles (650 - 800km) but I did find that on the end of the throttle cables, under the side cover to the throttle body, that the tiny rubber end caps had come off the adjusters and got stuck in the groove of the throttle body cam and was effectively changing the position of the throttle...I fitted them baack onto the ends of the cable adjusters and also adjusted the cables as they had way to much play and that improved it a lot, never stalled since...... might not be the issue but thought I would put my experience out there.

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: November 24, 2021, 06:51:04 pm
When using E10 fuel my bike does not tickover as smoothly as when running on E5.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: November 24, 2021, 07:48:18 pm
I had the same issue on my 2021 euro 5 spec conti GT....especially on the way home after picking it up new from the dealer, happened a few times on the 25 mile journey home. It did get better after about 400 - 500 miles (650 - 800km) but I did find that on the end of the throttle cables, under the side cover to the throttle body, that the tiny rubber end caps had come off the adjusters and got stuck in the groove of the throttle body cam and was effectively changing the position of the throttle...I fitted them baack onto the ends of the cable adjusters and also adjusted the cables as they had way to much play and that improved it a lot, never stalled since...... might not be the issue but thought I would put my experience out there.

You mean like this? I posted this a while back. Mine was the same.

Ciao

Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

SDias

• Scooter
Reply #38 on: November 25, 2021, 12:55:21 pm
Well, doesn´t hurt to check it out! Thank you guys for sharing feedback and also for the picture... it helps a lot in knowing what to look for  ;)

As for the type of fuel I´m using, it´s premium E10... that´s what the dealer recomended.
Portugal

cafegtgirl

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: November 25, 2021, 08:08:46 pm
This sounds like a similar issue the early GT 535's had. Yes, different motor but very similar issue. I cured it on my 535 by installing a PC 5. Not suggesting at all that is what you need to do though.
I agree with others that have said take it to a different dealer for diagnostics.  Good luck!
2021 GT 650
2016 Triumph Street Triple RX
2014 Continental GT
2004 Buell Firebolt XB12R
1998 Honda VFR 800
1998 Buell Thunderbolt S2
1997 Buell Lightning S1
1994 Honda VFR 750
1991 Honda CBR1000
1988 Honda CBR1000 Huricane
1985 Honda VT1100 Shadow
1985 Honda Helix
1983 Honda VF750F Interceptor #96

SDias

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: November 30, 2021, 10:02:26 am
I´ve checked my throttle cable and sure enough, it had the rubber nipple out of place and jammed.  :o Dispite that, it didn´t seem to affect the normal functioning of the accelerator. I´ve put it into place, but the problem still persists. Still stalls when minimal throttle inputs are given.

As for the Power Comander V sugestion (or any other piggyback solutions) sadly being an Euro5 model (2021), means that those devices are not compatible, since the ECU´s are built with extra security measures that monitor and detect suspicious sensor reading values, wich would trigger fault codes and impair the normal functioning of the bike. At least, that´s what I read somewhere... .

Oh well, it´s not a big deal, I still enjoy riding it and I can get around this issue with a slight change in my riding style. I´m still going to bring this matter up to the dealer when the time comes for the 1st service. 
Portugal

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: November 30, 2021, 07:05:22 pm
I´ve checked my throttle cable and sure enough, it had the rubber nipple out of place and jammed.  :o Dispite that, it didn´t seem to affect the normal functioning of the accelerator. I´ve put it into place, but the problem still persists. Still stalls when minimal throttle inputs are given.

As for the Power Comander V sugestion (or any other piggyback solutions) sadly being an Euro5 model (2021), means that those devices are not compatible, since the ECU´s are built with extra security measures that monitor and detect suspicious sensor reading values, wich would trigger fault codes and impair the normal functioning of the bike. At least, that´s what I read somewhere... .

Oh well, it´s not a big deal, I still enjoy riding it and I can get around this issue with a slight change in my riding style. I´m still going to bring this matter up to the dealer when the time comes for the 1st service.

honestly that sounds like a pretty big deal to me and super annoying. its a brand new bike. having it randomly stall on low revs is unacceptable, nor should a PC be the solution.

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #42 on: December 07, 2021, 04:07:49 am
honestly that sounds like a pretty big deal to me and super annoying. its a brand new bike. having it randomly stall on low revs is unacceptable, nor should a PC be the solution.

Andy Mileham

• Neophyte
Reply #43 on: January 14, 2022, 05:23:13 pm
I’ve just had the same problem with my new Interceptor, 140 miles.
I checked the pipe connections to the throttle body and the cable connections to the throttle position sensor- all seemingly OK, but then found that the throttle body butterfly stop adjuster (located on the bottom of right hand throttle body) had not been screwed in enough to contact the throttle cable pulley, thus allowing the butterflies to bottom out on the Venturi. A small increase in the idle speed by tightening this a little has much improved the problem. I think that with Euro 5 specs a warm engine is always going to be touchy at low revs with such a weak mixture. I noticed the problem didn’t occur when the engine was cold and automatically enriched by the ECU. Good luck!

pedro__

• Scooter
Reply #44 on: January 16, 2022, 05:22:56 pm
I got bike back from dealer, they did some "adjust" to ecu....problem still persists. I couldnt talk personally to the mechanic...i talked to some helper who didnt even look me in eyes....i didn´t like him.

Bike is going dealer again....it stalls on decelaration when i press clutch... on idle once...

But worse is that theres a new problem ! Now gear box gets stuck sometimes. I find myself stuck on neutral and i cant shift to first...when eventually do i do, engine shuts off....or will outright not let me start on first, just neutral, eventually after 4 embarrasing minutes stopped by the road, the bike lets me go when it wants too.

I dont know how im gonna work tomorrow. Unbelievable.

Im not sure if im just unlucky....or if the quality control of these machines are just this bad.

Speedfight 50cc 1997 , Interceptor 650 2021