Author Topic: Decomp lever  (Read 2625 times)

mtrue77

• Scooter
on: July 31, 2021, 11:59:14 pm
I went out for a couple of 30-mi test rides today.  I'm still lacking confidence in the oil-check procedure.  After the first ride, I immediately checked the oil temp.  204°F.  Not bad, since a few days ago I recorded 206.  I spent some time checking the level, and added 100ml.  The later ride resulted in a 197°F temp, and I added another 50ml.  I don't see any leaks, and I'm not blowing any smoke out the pipe. 

When I got back, I let the engine run,  and took this video.  https://youtu.be/VLo2QngZQRc
I didn't use that decomp lever for 13 years, not being sure what it was for.  Now, based on advice in this forum, I try to remember to use the decomp lever for shutting down, and for prepping the kick-start (which I'm using exclusively). 

Today, I noticed that decomp component that's attached to the tappet inspection cover bounces around a bit.  Is that normal?  Also, I think that tic-tic sound is new.  Perhaps I need to adjust the tappet clearance? 

Probably seems silly, me talking ml's, but I'm trying to be a little scientific here.  A little precise.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:38:43 am by mtrue77 »
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 12:41:52 am
Clearly you're the "sensitive sort" like me. And that's a fine way to be nursing along these old beasts. Like I said in the video comments, it sounds tip-top to me. Your decompression assembly is different to my separate one in the predecessor Iron Barrel models in that it's actually a proper exhaust valve lifter instead of a separate little "mini-valve" atop the head, so I'd defer to the AVL experts like "Adrian II" or "Tooseevee" about that wigglyness of the operating lever. But if it ain't leaking oil, my hunch is that's a good sign.

As for those valve tappet adjustments, checking them is probably a good idea at this point--done while the engine's cool. Though I hear absolutely nothing untoward. One recommendation I might offer, which I picked up from our venerable user "Ace", who's likely forgotten more than I've ever learned about coaxing these beasts into a sweet disposition, might be to squirt a couple if ounces of that Lucas brand TB-Zinc Plus additive into your engine oil. I've been using it in addition to my own Mobil1 15W-50, and haven't needed to adjust my tappets in well over 11,000 miles. I check 'em now and then, sure, but that goo must be doing those flat tappets and cam followers the power of good wearwise. One can only hope that that those increased pre-SAE "SL" grade "old-timey" zinc levels are minimizing wear similarly elsewhere in the engine, and one bottle will do you several oil changes. Be sure not to overtighten that cover down when done with that central nut. Those AVL ones are known to crack if you even look  at 'em too hard. Just hoink it down gently with a single finger on the wrench/spanner, and you should be good.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:57:22 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 12:59:01 am
Thank you, Bilgemaster.  This still seems like the best idea to me.
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 01:21:36 am
Actually, until that trailing edge of a hurricane carried it off in an Act of God, my "Enfield Shed" majlis tent had a rather Harbor Fright-Bedouin Turkic flair to it with solar string lights and a sort of inferential and suggestive "dance pedestal" for the deranged. But you should just be you...

How tappets should move
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:28:18 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 12:10:40 pm

Today, I noticed that decomp component that's attached to the tappet inspection cover bounces around a bit.  Is that normal?  Also, I think that tic-tic sound is new.  Perhaps I need to adjust the tappet clearance? 

I won't comment on your oil thing. If you overfill it, it will just blow it out all over your air filter and muffler then you'll know.

No. That little lever on the tappet cover that rotates the cam* that prevents the exhaust valve from closing should NOT be bouncing up and down. Should not be moving at all.

* Nothing to do with the engine's camshaft.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 01:53:34 pm
This is a closer look at that decomp lever (I don't think my little camera is meant for close-ups).

https://youtu.be/vLsyWOKfYto

Snidal gives an adequate explanation of the decomp system, and how and when it's to be used.  A little light on maintenance, though.  My Super Factory Service Manual doesn't really help, either.

If I take off that center bolt to remove the tappet inspection cover, do I first have to remove that little retaining clip and lever so that the splined shaft can pass through the cover?
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 02:19:07 pm
I just gave up on the thing when the tappet cover on my Electra-X cracked and stuck a plan tappet cover on. Still managed to get 9 years out of the sprag clutch before the dreaded bang-crunch!

You can always strip the decomp arm and spindle out of the tappet cover, and clean grease and shim the thing on re-assembly, but for the arm to be bouncing up and down I suspect a bit of over-adjustment is causing the "top hat" sleeve on the exhaust valve stem to clout the edge of the cam every time the exhaust valve opens and closes. To remove the cover just undo the M8 nut in the cente, the cam assemble will come with it.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 07:03:38 pm
Is the spring missing between the flange on the tappet cover and the decomp lever? That may account for the slop and vibration.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 07:39:30 pm
Without a diagram (exploded, or otherwise), I don't know.  Or a photo, if you've got one.  Seems like there would have to be a spring involved.  The spring that the last 1-1/2" of cable runs through is there.  That's the one similar to what you'd find in a ballpoint pen.  I didn't have this issue until I started using the decomp recently for starting and stopping the engine.  Prior to that, it went for many years untouched.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:01:26 pm by mtrue77 »
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

allanfox

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 12:07:13 pm
Looking at how the level doesn't return when you lift it up with you finger I would guess the cable is sticking and needs oiling, I think the bouncing about is only because the cam isn't rotating enough, had similar with mine and cured by oiling and adjusting the cable.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 12:29:36 pm
     mtrue,

Have you had your tappet cover off yet? From your little video it looks like all you need to do is is pop the snap ring off the shaft, ScotchBrite it a bit, put a bit of grease on it and put it back together. There's no spring inside. Just the "ball point" spring on the outside. It's probably all OK, it just has "a little hitch in its getalong"

Maybe you've done this already.

And remember YooToob (and Google) is your friend. There are literally thousands of videos out there on every subject about these engines (and the rest of the bike). There are some (as usual) that are total bullshit so watch a lot of them and be discerning. Some people have made videos who obviously know NOTHING about the bike so be careful.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 12:30:41 pm
     mtrue,

Have you had your tappet cover off yet? From your little video it looks like all you need to do is is pop the snap ring off the shaft, ScotchBrite it a bit, put a bit of grease on it and put it back together. There's no spring inside. Just the "ball point" spring on the outside. It's probably all OK, it just has "a little hitch in its getalong". OR it might be the cable.

Maybe you've done this already.

And remember YooToob (and Google) is your friend. There are literally thousands of videos out there on every subject about these engines (and the rest of the bike). There are some (as usual) that are total bullshit so watch a lot of them and be discerning. Some people have made videos who obviously know NOTHING about the bike so be careful.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #12 on: August 10, 2021, 12:49:08 pm
The parts book shows no return spring apart from what's on the tappet cover end of the cable. This set-up relies on the exhaust valve spring to return the valve to its seat if it works on the same principle as (e.g.) the BSA Victor.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 10, 2021, 02:04:33 pm
     I don't know how that Reply #12 happened. I guess I somehow quoted myself by some cosmic confluence of brain farts.

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: August 10, 2021, 10:50:46 pm
Certainly quotable.  No matter by whom.
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 05:54:13 pm
     I don't know how that Reply #12 happened. I guess I somehow quoted myself by some cosmic confluence of brain farts.

LOL! Maybe you were hit by one of those Jewish Space Lasers.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 10:00:01 pm
Certainly quotable.  No matter by whom.

Yabbutt, isn't that the height of arrogance of me to quote meeself?  :)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 10:58:52 pm
" Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken... "  ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.