Author Topic: Dekelevic (Delkevic)  (Read 3965 times)

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
on: June 01, 2021, 02:26:19 pm
Aft’noon.

Delkevic header/system, being made of Stainless Steel 😍 I’m curious/tempted to indulge and purchase a down pipe.

The down pipe isn’t a lot of money, and on the web site..

https://delkevic.co.uk/downpipes/Royal%20Enfield/Himalayan/2020/

Reads fine, can I justify buying one on a whim? I fail to see any direct advantages, other than aesthetics.... which is 80% for me.....Stainless Steel 😍 Already have a shopping list to replace nuts and bolts and fastenings with Stainless Steel 😍 (😂)

So, if you have a Delkevic down pipe/system on your Himalayan or considering one, please let me know your views. My bike is fitted with an after market Silencer/end can / muffler, can’t remember the make, other than a big red X on it. Bike being delivered tomorrow 😎

Thank you in advance

Stay safe and have fun

G🥸

15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 08:06:12 am
Fitting it will remove the catalytic converters which I believe life in the pipe - I may be wrong on that and I'd like it confirmed one way or another.

The header pipe will not stay bright and shiny very long, it'll tarnish up within weeks and just keep developing more character. I like it, but if you're addicted to your shiny pipe, you may not.

The header curves further forward than the stock pipe. This is nice because instead of that oil pipe nearly touching it, you'll have about 1cm clearance. However, I don't know how this fit with some of the engine bars out there.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 08:42:23 am
A couple of photos.
The light isn't the best unfortunately.
You can see the tarnishing on the header - refer to the muffler which is silver.
The close up shows the header passing that oil pipe. The stock header was actually touching that pipe when I got it but I was able to move it slightly. With the Delkevic header, there's a good 1 cm clearance.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Guldner

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 11:10:04 am
Lo,

Thank you for the reply, I understand what you are saying re the cat. However on earlyish Himalayan I think that the cat is in the Silencer....not the down pipe. 2021 bikes have it in the down pipe...cats need to get hot quickly and sustained to work correctly hence the move...photo is of a 21 model (Euro5?)  with a noticeable lump....
Your feed back is much appreciated....the patina colouration isn’t an issue....unfortunately I know on Stainless 😍 there isn’t going to be any “Blueing “ just straw colour ....I find you comment on the original pipe touching the oil pipe alarming...so much for PDI checks...

Have fun and stay safe

G🥸

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 12:03:38 pm
Thank you for the reply, I understand what you are saying re the cat. However on earlyish Himalayan I think that the cat is in the Silencer....not the down pipe. 2021 bikes have it in the down pipe...cats need to get hot quickly and sustained to work correctly hence the move...photo is of a 21 model (Euro5?)  with a noticeable lump....

There's certainly no doubt about that "lump", is there? It's right in your face unlike the invisible "hot tubes" that, like on my AVL (and others), were hidden inside the header pipe & had to be cut out with a Dremel.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 12:32:04 pm
Lo,

Thank you for the reply, I understand what you are saying re the cat. However on earlyish Himalayan I think that the cat is in the Silencer....not the down pipe. 2021 bikes have it in the down pipe.

That would explain my confusion, mine's a carby bike but I've probably had feedback from efi owners.
Anyway, no cat there now, just a lovely, deep thump, though it is a little loud under load.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 02:03:25 pm
My understanding is that the latest BS6 Royal Enfield air-cooled singles (I don't know about the twins) now have two different types of catalyzers, one located in the exhaust header and the other still located in the muffler. In order to comply with the latest EU5 (or is it EU6?, I loose track) emission regulations that are now requiring the treatment of another bad-for-the-environment combustion exhaust component, two catalyzers are needed.  :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 12:38:16 pm
You guys sure about that CAT being in that bulge in the header. That looks just like the bulge in the Powerbomb headers another company made semi famous, might have been FMF. Anyway, I have one of those headers, or a Taiwanese copy, on one of my trials bikes. Supposedly it changes the torque characteristics and sounds different. RE puts the CAT for the 500 and the 650 twins in the muffler.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Guldner

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 06:52:40 pm
😁 update (regardless of no update for 120days+)

Watch out Himaarlian your life is about to change….

Guldner

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 06:57:33 pm
Yes I know the pipe is laid on bare concrete….I’ve already “bin done” for that…..I was exited & me Tea was ready…Now I’ve got to wait to fit …Dark nights when I get home! 😖busy this weekend! 🙄 On holiday; going away next weekend 😔

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 06:33:53 pm
Very happy with mine.  :)
Full system with 350mm oval silencer. Not too loud.
No blueing or dulling.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 11:35:38 pm
Very happy with mine.  :)
Full system with 350mm oval silencer. Not too loud.
No blueing or dulling.
I've got the same, also very happy.
Not too loud? Mine's playing heavy metal all the time.
Blueing or dulling? Mine's disgusting... which sort of fits with the look of my bike.

Funny how they're so different.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 09:47:27 am
I've got the same, also very happy.
Not too loud? Mine's playing heavy metal all the time.
Blueing or dulling? Mine's disgusting... which sort of fits with the look of my bike.

Funny how they're so different.

Yes. They maybe changed their material spec.
I've kept the baffle in.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 05:39:36 am
Yes. They maybe changed their material spec.
I've kept the baffle in.
I don't even know how to take it out. I guess it's obvious, but I'm not going to do it. It's louder than I'd normally choose but it's made the exhaust a character in my videos whereas the stock one just came across as a muted mutter.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Guldner

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 07:42:03 am
Morning Folks,

Well, I’ve finally fitted the exhaust system and silencer.
Not a straight forward job, emphasise no fault of Delkevic.

Removing the header pipe proved difficult, the flange studs are not parallel 😖

But what the hey, it’s on, looks good, sounds good, a nice deep burble.

The bike turned over for what appeared to be an age before firing up 😧

I let it sit and tick over while I put my tools away, turned off, then took for a run.

I don’t know if it’s my imagination, the bike appears to accelerate quicker and smoother. Most probably wishful thinking 🤪

Due to the weather, I only put about 6 miles on the bike, but yes I’m very pleased with it, and it’s turning a nice straw/gold colour

Next fit the cam and seriously look at a Power Tronic ECU.

🤔 wonder if I’ll stop spending 😂😂

Have fun stay safe

G😎