Author Topic: 2018 classic 500 high idle speed question  (Read 5420 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 18, 2021, 07:33:09 pm
I'm downloading the iPhone version from the App Store. I'm hoping this app will be more accurate than the electronic wrap around ones.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Faemino

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: December 18, 2021, 09:12:08 pm
Thanks Haggis,

A guy for another bikes' forum also recommended that one. The drawbacks seems the accuracy depending the number of wire wrapping turns and that the battery can not be replaced.

The android apps should work Ok since it is not difficult to measure the frequencies and establish a pattern, but the opinions are not very good. Have you try, Silverback?

In any case both are cheap so I will give them a try

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: December 18, 2021, 11:42:13 pm
I down loaded and use it.  I havent checked it against any other source.   It works for my needs.
I use it as it is convenient and accurate enough for my needs.
Royal enfiled ideal is plus or minus 200 anyway.
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 19, 2021, 11:00:37 am
Thanks Haggis,

A guy for another bikes' forum also recommended that one. The drawbacks seems the accuracy depending the number of wire wrapping turns and that the battery can not be replaced.

In any case both are cheap so I will give them a try

Makes no difference on mine if I wrap the sensor wire round once or ten times.
I still get the same reading.
Also the back cover is just glued on and can easily be removed to replace the watch type battery should it ever go flat.
Off route, recalculate?

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 19, 2021, 11:41:47 am
Also the back cover is just glued on and can easily be removed to replace the watch type battery should it ever go flat.

Ditto- same experience and worked fine, those who remember Wildbill...he used them on some of his MANY bikes, and knowing Bills reputation it would have been binned/replaced VERY quickly  :)
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #20 on: December 19, 2021, 12:40:34 pm
Sorry for the late reply.

I use this flat ratchet wrench:
https://www.bahco.com/es_es/juego-de-puntas-y-vasos-peque--os-de-1-4----para-tornillos-ranurados--phillips--pozidriv--torxr-y-de-cabeza-hexagonal--26--piezas--pb_2058-s26-2_.html

Very useful for a lot of tasks.

Do you have guys any suggestion for a tachometer to check the idle?.
Maybe some phone app would do the trick?

Thanks!

Interesting little ratchet kit. For those in more western climes curious about it, it seems Amazon sells it for $41.13 with free delivery via Prime: Bahco 2058/S26 Bit-Socket Set (26-piece) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y8TIMY

Gearwrench offers a similar 35 Piece 1/4 Inch Drive MicroDriver Set - 85035 for under $20 at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062FSAVI
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 12:49:31 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Faemino

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: December 19, 2021, 08:46:02 pm

Great. Thanks to you all guys!

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 31, 2021, 02:37:03 pm
Funny you would say that, l just changed my exhaust for a gold star silencer and noticed the idle has gone up a bit, l ordered a right angled screwdriver so l can tweak the adjuster, if that don’t work l will get the torch out and make one, don’t fancy taking the seat and tank off again.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 31, 2021, 03:12:02 pm
You can slacken the throttle body clamp and rotate the body a little and let's you use a straight screwdriver.
Off route, recalculate?

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 31, 2021, 05:56:08 pm
I didn’t think of that yet another arrow for my bow.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: January 04, 2022, 01:36:54 am
Just thought of something else. Regarding changes to bike that impact engine function.  You would need to let.bike idle about 5 mins to allow for ecu to make any necessary ajustsments. Then run it to temo and check idle speed and adjust as necessary.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: January 04, 2022, 07:10:43 pm
Well that’s what l did and the speed has come down now, but it is to be noted changing the exhaust can initially effect idle speed, until the ecu adjusts.

rattonshaw

• Scooter
  • Classic Long Distance Trials
Reply #27 on: January 05, 2022, 08:08:47 am
Regarding changes to bike that impact engine function.  You would need to let bike idle about 5 mins to allow for ecu to make any necessary ajustsments. Then run it to temp and check idle speed and adjust as necessary.
Does that mean that the ECU on euro4 engines (2016 onwards) is capable of greater adjustments to the mixture as a result of silencer and filter changes than the Euro3 engines (pre 2016)?  From what I've read of other people's experiences, the Euro3 engines seem unable to cope with these sorts of changes unless you fit an equivalent part, or a Power Commander or similar.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: January 05, 2022, 09:42:36 am
Not sure.  Mine is 2012 classic chrome c5.  When i put my gold star silencer and ran it the idle was off. I saw one of Stuart filingham  videos where he suggests to let the bike idle for about 5 mins after such changes to let ECU read the changes and it worked.  His is about 1 year old.