Author Topic: Lake Blue Himalayan coming my way!  (Read 5961 times)

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
on: May 20, 2021, 09:47:57 am
Today I signed on the line for a Lake Blue, 3/2021 complianced Himalayan.
This explains why you will start seeing queries and comments coming from a GT650 owner, in this part of the woods  ;D

The reason I’ve gone for the current (Australian) model is that
- it appears to be 8kg lighter than the GPS equipped latest Euro models, which have another muffler in the vertical portion of the header pipe
- didn’t want to buy into the dramas of “can or cannot” modify latest Euro model
- I expect a price rise for latest Euro model
- and best of all I can pick it up tomorrow so no waiting.

I fired it up today as it has already had pre-delivery done and just needs a full tank of fuel and number plate fitted.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 10:29:17 am
Woo  hoo. Glad to see another rider upgrading to the Himalayan. Nice colour too.

What are your plans for the weekend?

Join us on facebook on the Royal Enfield Himalayan Australian Group  ;D  Some of us are almost normal (though they do let me post there)
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 10:49:45 am
Cheeky ...... cross-grade maybe ;D
I’m definitely keeping the 650, such a sweet ride. The Himi’ is all about keeping the 650 off the gravel - it’s an exercise in “horses for courses”

I usually stay away from FB but I’ll catch up with your YouTube videos for tips.

Of course, the weekend will see the new steed being run in. 😀
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 10:58:19 am
I wouldn't stay away from the Himmy fraudbook page because it's a way of keeping in touch with Himalayans in Oz. More of a forum than anything else. It'll also keep you in touch with local rides (not all are big, I personally prefer groups of two or three like minded nutters).

With a bit of effort, the weekend should see you at your first service - I'm a big fan of running in quickly (ie, in a short period of time) because you can have fun sooner and you're less likely to forget it's new.

You don't think the 650 would do well on dirt roads? I've sometimes pondered that the Interceptor would make an awesome scrambler, a modern replacement for the 500 scrambler. No, NOT a replacement for the Himalayan, just a bike that could be made to soak up dirt roads.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 11:08:26 am
Ok, I’ll check them out on FB.

The reasons I don’t want the Continental on dirt are:
1. I don’t want to get it filthy dirty or scratched and spoil the gleaming paint and bright finishes and then spend a lot of time cleaning it.
2. I want to keep good bitumen tyres on the Continental to maximise it’s handling and road holding up in the twisties.

That’s why I say horses for courses.
I want good dirt tyres on the Himalayan.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 11:16:25 am
The stock Himmy tyres are good enough. They'll also wear out quickly but that's fine, by then you'll know how much dirt you're actually doing. I've now got Mitas E07 tyres on mine though there are a number of other 50/50 tyres that'll work (it depends on availability which is troublesome at the moment).
I wouldn't change immediately, get to know the bike and your usage first, the stock tyres are plenty good enough to do that.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 11:20:59 am
Yes indeed. Thanks for that.

It comes with the new Indian Ceat supplied tyres and I’ll definitely use them up....... I’ve just paid for them after all 😆.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 11:29:40 am
Yes indeed. Thanks for that.

It comes with the new Indian Ceat supplied tyres and I’ll definitely use them up....... I’ve just paid for them after all 😆.

I know nothing about the Ceats except there've been no complaints about them. Most people seem happy.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 06:10:36 pm
Of all the bikes I've owned or ridden in my 50+ years of riding, racing and working in the motorcycle industry the Himalayan is my all time, most favorite bike. It was so good I traded my Triumph in on an Interceptor, which is my 2nd favorite. Best of luck with the bike, I hope you like it as much as I like mine.

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 01:12:19 pm
Of all the bikes I've owned or ridden in my 50+ years of riding, racing and working in the motorcycle industry the Himalayan is my all time, most favorite bike. It was so good I traded my Triumph in on an Interceptor, which is my 2nd favorite. Best of luck with the bike, I hope you like it as much as I like mine.

Thanks for the comments.
I’ll definitely enjoy the new acquisition and I’ve put 90 kilometers on her this afternoon, after collecting from the dealer just after lunch.

She’ll go in for first service, Thursday next when I’ll have the 500k up.

Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 11:30:52 am
I’m working my way through the run-in phase, as the 60kph limit for the first 500 kilometres takes some concentration to adhere to. The trick is finding semi-rural and outer urban roads which are quiet, traffic wise.
So far so good and only another 140 k to go.

The weather has been brilliant for the exercise and that’s a bonus.

Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 08:17:56 am
I’m working my way through the run-in phase, as the 60kph limit for the first 500 kilometres takes some concentration to adhere to. The trick is finding semi-rural and outer urban roads which are quiet, traffic wise.
So far so good and only another 140 k to go.

The weather has been brilliant for the exercise and that’s a bonus.
Forget the 60km/hr for the first 500kms. That's super conservative and arguably not the best for your motor anyway. What you want is to not put in under load (ie, don't lug the thing in a low gear), don't rev the rings off it, lots of variation in the engine revs being used and lots of gear changes (you're running in the gear box as well). Do you know what that sounds like? Going for a ride in the hills, just not working the bike hard. It's fun, it's interesting and it's good for the bike.

If you have any mechanical sympathy, run up the revs occasionally and you'll feel when it starts getting a tad rough. Change up at that point. Do that periodically, and you'll find that point getting higher and higher in the rev range as the motor beds in. It's also been argued (and argued against I might add), that this pushes the rings against the bore and helps them bed in faster and more completely. But you don't have to do that if you don't want to, just for for a ride in the hills.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 08:48:41 am
Mechanical sympathy is something I have spade loads of ;D

Labouring the engine is a no-no for running-in ....... and for ever after.

With sportier motors and with finer tolerances, I’m quite prepared to run engines in “the other way”.

This motor sounds like the big end bolts are lying in the sump and the piston is hanging out the side of the block. She’s as agricultural as they come and that is the charm.

Btw, I seem to recall some of the long-time Classic 500 and Bullet owner’s recommending the slow run-in method. This clunker is closer to those than the 650s.

Accordingly, I’ll run it in by the book. Only 90 k to go so I’ll remain patient until Thursday’s first service.

On another matter, did you pick up a spare oil filler cap? The dealer reckons they haven’t any and they have to come from India.
I just want the standard plastic item but I don’t know if they’re a generic item, thread wise, that you can get anywhere.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 08:06:03 am
This motor sounds like the big end bolts are lying in the sump and the piston is hanging out the side of the block. She’s as agricultural as they come and that is the charm.

That's pretty normal when new. Mine sounded like I had a hysterical git under me bum bashing on a tin can. By 1,500 kms, it'd mellowed right out and by 5K sounded just like a normal motor. A mate suggested that it needed time to build up some soot in the header - maybe he's right.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 09:11:45 am
That's pretty normal when new. Mine sounded like I had a hysterical git under me bum bashing on a tin can. By 1,500 kms, it'd mellowed right out and by 5K sounded just like a normal motor.

Cool. Looking forward to it.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650