Author Topic: Ton up...  (Read 3567 times)

Semanticks

• Grease Monkey
  • 2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red
on: April 19, 2021, 12:53:39 am
Did a ton on my interceptor on Wednesday...HD rider today asked how fast my Enfield would go... He seemed surprised and maybe his nose got a little out of joint 8) 8) 8)
South Okanagan BC

2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 01:01:47 am
How did that feel?  I hit 90 and didn't like it.  It does not seem to excel at high speed

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 01:04:09 am
Good for you if it's your thing. I'm happy at 60, doing 70 if need be. Glad to know the 650 is good for a ton if the situation arises.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 01:36:40 am
How did that feel?  I hit 90 and didn't like it.  It does not seem to excel at high speed
I've lost track, have you changed you tires yet?
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Jared_Lee

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 01:45:41 am
I went ton up bone stock and felt great. Handled 90 on I-95 yesterday with no issues after my modifications that do not include suspension. It pulls 70 to 90 easily. That being said, I have the most fun between 45 and 65.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 02:02:24 am
I've lost track, have you changed you tires yet?

It could just be me that doesn't do well at that speed. I did tires, great improvement. Bike is solid to 80 then just feels a bit shaky to me after. New York roads are pretty bad, though. I also think maybe I have a slight off balance on the front tire. My last bike was regularly around 100 so I just figured it was the bike

I don't need to be going 100 very often,though. It's just nice to k ow I can

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 03:16:54 am
It could just be me that doesn't do well at that speed. I did tires, great improvement. Bike is solid to 80 then just feels a bit shaky to me after. New York roads are pretty bad, though. I also think maybe I have a slight off balance on the front tire. My last bike was regularly around 100 so I just figured it was the bike

I don't need to be going 100 very often,though. It's just nice to k ow I can
Yeah, 80 is plenty fast. If I recall our bike are delivered with the fork tubes a bit proud out the tops of the top yoke. Maybe 5 to 10mm. I noticed early on and with the OEM tires that at the upper end speeds the front end felt a little "animated". Lowered the tube dow to nearly flush (those top yokes aren't a flat surface). That very little change (rake) steadied it out, particularly on the highway sweepers. Same principle as when folks do the opposite to "make it turn quicker". This makes it less "turny". New word, I know.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Semanticks

• Grease Monkey
  • 2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 03:56:52 am
I don't really go that fast (160km/h is what I checked the speedo on) that often, but the bike feels really happy at 120.... What's that? 60-65mph? It did 140 up Anarchist Pass which is a big long uphill with some really tight switchbacks. I think the grade is between 8-10% but don't quote me. No more snow on the pass at almost 1300 m, so there were more bikes than cars out today.

It felt stable enough for me. I'm not super experienced. It didn't wobble, but it vibrated and in a tuck it didn't really want to turn, but I wasn't looking to turn. The pass is a wide open desert plain and visibility is excellent where I was pushing it. Luckily I beat out the wind... A storm rolled in just after I got back home :o
South Okanagan BC

2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 04:24:15 am
Yeah, 80 is plenty fast. If I recall our bike are delivered with the fork tubes a bit proud out the tops of the top yoke. Maybe 5 to 10mm. I noticed early on and with the OEM tires that at the upper end speeds the front end felt a little "animated". Lowered the tube dow to nearly flush (those top yokes aren't a flat surface). That very little change (rake) steadied it out, particularly on the highway sweepers. Same principle as when folks do the opposite to "make it turn quicker". This makes it less "turny". New word, I know.

It’s actually closer to 12mm.  I know precisely because I pulled the forks off this weekend.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 11:31:09 am
I road tested mine up to a ton a few weeks ago it certainly has enough power to get there, the problem was it was not that comfortable sitting upright and the front end seemed to go a bit light, l felt a different riding position and fairing would have been the answer, but in saying that the bike is run best at 60 to 70 l feel, most comfortable speed.

greentrumpet

• Bulleteer
  • UK, 2019 Interceptor
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 02:19:24 pm
Mine pulls quickly up to 95, I know cos I did it unintentionally after overtaking, glanced at clock and thought, "that's a bit fast, watch your licence!" It felt like there was easily more to come. With an upright stance and wide bars the steering is likely to feel light, being a short house I fitted 20mm shocks on the back (same effect as raising front by dropping tubes flush) this seems to help a little. Most old style bikes get a bike shaky at times and the Interceptor feels safe to me.

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
  • I like to move it move it.
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 02:48:20 pm
Need to do the ton this summer just to check it off the list.  I've done it on every bike i've owned so may as well not break tradition.

The bike seems to cruise at 75 on the interstate just fine.  You will get wind buffeting by the nature of style of bike; it has nothing to do with the chassis, etc.

But yeah...i tend to be happiest at 25-65mph on a back road these days.
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 03:21:59 pm
I have done it a couple of times just to test how the bike would feel at those speeds... Feels good, no issues.

When riding on the highway here, just to keep up with traffic, I stay around 70-80 mph... Bike feels great and the small screen helps reroute the air over my helmet.

On the backroads, I get to relax and enjoy the scenery...

Stock tires for now.  Will wear these as I have not had any issues or scares with them and replace with Michelin when the time comes...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 03:32:45 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 03:39:10 pm
I have done it a couple of times just to test how the bike would feel at those speeds... Feels good, no issues.

When riding on the highway here, just to keep up with traffic, I stay around 70-80 mph... Bike feels great and the small screen helps reroute the air over my helmet.

On the backroads, I get to relax and enjoy the scenery...

Stock tires for now.  Will wear these as I have not had any issues or scares with them and replace with Michelin when the time comes...

Ride fast and dangerous, it blows out the cobwebs ;)

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 03:40:09 pm
I haven't done the ton because it feels unpleasant being bashed by the wind at that speed, even with earpliugs. But I suppose now it's been mentioned I'll have to give it a try if I can find a clear stretch that's long enough (on a private road of course).

I usually avoid motorways, but on one longish night trip last year, when I was trying to make time, I found the stock Interceptor's motorway speed naturally crept up to 80-85mph with no determined effort on my part and no great effect on handling. Easily enough for cruising substantial distances, but I would definitely get a proper screen if my aim were to munch miles.