Author Topic: Itching to rewire my Bullet  (Read 26107 times)

Gexx

• Scooter
Reply #75 on: February 24, 2024, 07:12:07 pm
I just found a picture from my Bullet with the original Switches. I changed it to old 70's style switches . Thats is one of the reason why I will convert to full DC.  These old 70's style switches can't handle AC and DC simultaneously

Best regards
Robert

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #76 on: February 24, 2024, 10:07:03 pm
They weren't meant to. Your original switches in the photo are Indian copies of Suzuki items.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Gexx

• Scooter
Reply #77 on: February 24, 2024, 10:41:37 pm
...and as it's not confused enough I got today new informations regarding the alternator coils.

The 4-wire alternators (maybe this is limited to Export Bullet for European market, 5 gearbox) didn't have 2 pairs of paralleled coils and 1 single pair.
They have 3 coils connected in series for the DC circuit (purple/purple) and 3 coils connected in series for the AC circuit (yellow/amber)

The coils for DC have a different wiring compared to the coils for AC.  Thats why I got the recommentation not to connect it in parallel but in series.

Robert

Gexx

• Scooter
Reply #78 on: February 25, 2024, 05:08:34 pm
Hello AgentX
I have the 4 wires correct. In the stator the violet wires go to 3 coils of light wire in series, each coil being about 1 ohm so the resistance between the violet wires is around 3 ohms. The orange and yellow wires go to 3 coils of heavier wire in series, each about .3 ohms so the resistance between orange and yellow is around .9 ohms

I found this at another Thread...it was also a Bullet with Electric-start. It seems to be the truth that the alternator has 2x 3 coils in series

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: February 25, 2024, 07:56:14 pm
Another look at the picture of the stator Hitchcock's have for sale suggests that's true. I strongly suspect it comes down to who made the thing, Minda (OEM?) or another Indian (pattern) electrical parts supplier like Swiss. The one I fitted would appear to be 4+2 rather than 3+3, and from the rotor I'd say it's definitely a pattern part, although a quite decent one.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: February 25, 2024, 09:01:03 pm
On the subject of charging systems. i just fitted this reg/rec unit to my little Soviet 125. This one is off a Yamaha R1, picked it up for £25 off ebay. These are one of the best ones out there just now, they all look the same, some have one grey and one black socket. They use them on a lot of different bikes and also quads and skidoos, worth a mooch about on ebay to see if you can pick up a bargain (I'd suggest searching for used reg/recs, arranged by cheapest first and scroll down until you see one that looks like that). Beware Chinese copies, go for a used OEM one.

You can also buy a set of the correct (Chinese copy) connector blocks to hook them in for about a tenner on Amazon. I've just got it temporarily rigged up at the moment but I'll fit the connectors once it's all up and running. It's designed to take three phases but they run quite happily on two.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: February 26, 2024, 02:42:15 am
This one came with my 350 Bullet, fitted by some previous owner - anyone here recognize it?

A.

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: February 26, 2024, 07:35:52 am
It's a Honda type as fitted to CB500s among others, or a Chinese copy of one.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: February 26, 2024, 12:52:21 pm
Thank you, SW. It has been replaced by a more conventional universal item, albeit with a capacitor in it.

A.