Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 391321 times)

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #1185 on: November 21, 2020, 05:02:22 pm
Strange one today [...]

Turns out this was nothing strange, changing the map must have just coincided with the bike cooling down. All well today until about 20 miles of fairly harsh riding and the misfire returned. Stuttered and surged my way home with it getting progressively worse. Pretty sure it's the coil, it's in spec when I test it but that is after cooling down a bit as I can't get my hand there to get at it when the engine is roasting. Bike behaves when cooled down, gets hot and misfire (only under load) returns.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1186 on: November 21, 2020, 05:12:37 pm
I gave up trying to get the Sport Demons off and bribed a mate that does it for a living, I got to the point my brain was taunting me that I was either going to break my lever or wreck the rim. Got Sport Comp on there now.

I like the looks of the Sport Comp, quite vintage IMO. Hopefully, I may try them next.

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #1187 on: November 21, 2020, 05:28:58 pm
I like the looks of the Sport Comp, quite vintage IMO. Hopefully, I may try them next.

First 20 miles before my misfire issue they seem decent. We've had lots of rain lately though and roads have lots of loose crap on the corners so I've not tried tipping them to the edges. No squirms or sliding though under hard braking and hard throttle.

I thought the Sport Demons were pretty good, only reason I didn't stay with them was the prices were high. I'm hoping these ones give me more than 4000 miles on a rear.

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #1188 on: December 03, 2020, 07:29:51 am
I finally sorted my misfire (I think)!

Tried a new ignition coil as the symptoms pointed that way. Still had the issue. Removed the PCV, issue gone. Last night i refitted the PCV, issue returned once bike got hot.

Now I couldn't get my head round why a fuel controller only misbehaves when the bike is hot. The PCV connection to the coil I hadn't cable tied to the frame, I'd let it hang about half way between the frame and the rocker cover. I cable tied this higher to the frame. A short ride and the issue seems to have gone, by this point it was very dark and freezing outside so the test was short. It'll need a much longer test ride to be sure but it seems when the connection between PCV and coil was getting very hot it was disrupting the coil and giving the symptoms of a coil breaking down when hot.

I hope I'm right, I can't think why otherwise a PCV would go haywire only when the bike is hot.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1189 on: December 03, 2020, 09:53:59 am
I hope you're right! Good luck!
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1190 on: December 03, 2020, 10:01:12 am
My GT, the handling has gone off a bit. I've made a few changes and each time seems to help but the pricked comes back. It's mostly wallowing in fast bend. I think the fixes I've done have had a positive effect but once they're gotten used to, I can feel the underlying problem. I've changed tyres, fork oil and steering bearings. They all needed doing anyway so it's all good. Lately I've noticed the forks diving more than they ought to. I guess I'm noticing it now because I've been riding another bike and have gotten unused to the way this one is. I can get the fork to fully compress under brakes. It looks like the springs might be saggy. Think I'll order a new set of springs and emulators from YSS and see how that goes.
The fork still feels pretty solid over sharp bumps but compresses all the way with brakes. Damper rods doing their thing...
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #1191 on: December 03, 2020, 11:05:37 am
Be interested to know how the YSS kit works out. I bought mine with 237 miles on the clocks and the front forks were/are like you describe.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1192 on: December 03, 2020, 11:53:41 pm
I'm using a Dyna Coil, zero resistance cable and cap, Iridium plug. Which one looks like it makes the better spark?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1193 on: December 04, 2020, 12:13:51 am
How can you tell?
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1194 on: December 04, 2020, 01:17:42 am
Butt dyno.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1195 on: December 04, 2020, 01:42:30 pm
I take one coil and the wire please.  :)

Sticking with one, cos I like the decomp. in there.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1196 on: December 04, 2020, 02:17:58 pm
I take one coil and the wire please.  :)

Sticking with one, cos I like the decomp. in there.

Speaking of spark plug wires and Continental engines, my friend owns a private airplane that is powered by a flat four Continental engine. He told me yesterday that his airplane had its yearly safety inspection last weekend. He was forced to replace all of the engine's spark plug wires (I don't know if it uses four or eight wires). Then he told me that the cost for replacement wires was $1000 USD. Wow! That is even more than BMW charges for spark plug wires.   ::)  It sounds to me like owning an airplane is even a bigger waste of money that owning a boat.  :o
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 02:22:26 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1197 on: December 04, 2020, 02:26:10 pm
Speaking of spark plug wires and Continental engines, my friend owns a private airplane that is powered by a flat four Continental engine. He told me yesterday that his airplane had its yearly safety inspection last weekend. He was forced to replace all of the engine's spark plug wires (I don't know if it uses four or eight wires). Then he told me that the cost for replacement wires was $1000 USD. Wow! That is even more than BMW charges for spark plug wires.   ::)  It sounds to me like owning an airplane is even a bigger waste of money that owning a boat.  :o

Only if you keep paying the Inspectors.  ;)

8 wires on a continental/lycomming. Dual spark, nothing to do with marketing in this case but with redundancy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:03:01 pm by derottone »

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1198 on: December 04, 2020, 06:01:48 pm
My parents used to own a Partenavia P68B. Holy crap that thing could suck up money. My old inboard ski boat is a snip to run in comparison.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1199 on: December 04, 2020, 06:07:15 pm
My parents used to own a Partenavia P68B. Holy crap that thing could suck up money. My old inboard ski boat is a snip to run in comparison.

That would be 2 times Lycoming io-360, that makes 12 cylinders and 24 wires in total.  :D

With that amount of cylinders the amount of ignition redundancy may not even be necessary.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:37:52 pm by derottone »