Author Topic: My Lightning 535 2001- 597 Original KMS  (Read 937 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2024, 03:54:38 pm
I'm not sure if this was a private import. But the PO gave me proof of purchase from the dealership. Apparently that dealership is closed now, so can't confirm. I also got few manuals which was Xerox copies.

I picked up this one just because of the RH shift.

Thank you

RB

Could be the dealer felt the same was as you about the US DoT-mandated left-foot shift on official imports and arranged to bring a few "real" ones back himself, apparently you could do that at Chennai a few years ago. The Lightning was always an Indian domestic model, regardless of where various examples ended up! Quite a few RE AVL Machismos and Thunderbirds escaped to the UK despite never being in our importer's catalog(ue).

A.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Spudgun

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2024, 07:11:37 pm
I'm not sure if this was a private import. But the PO gave me proof of purchase from the dealership. Apparently that dealership is closed now, so can't confirm. I also got few manuals which was Xerox copies.

I picked up this one just because of the RH shift.

Thank you

RB

When I bought my Lightning. I got a complete history. The paperwork from the dealer in India. The paperwork from the shipping line that brought the bike to the UK. The Customs import paperwork. The paperwork from the bike shop where I bought the Lightning from.

In an interesting twist. When I removed the chrome panel from the backrest to polish it. On the inside. I found the name of the original purchaser!
1999 Royal Enfield 500 Lightning