Author Topic: scan tool  (Read 12729 times)

gmmechanic

• Scooter
on: December 28, 2013, 05:02:11 am
does anyone out there know where i could get a diagnostic scan tool for the r.e. efi systems???
2014 c5 military

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:18:49 am
   From what I understand , they were extremely expensive from Keihin and never acquired. :-\   But we do have a blinky light  ;D   But unfortunatly , the fault codes can't be cleared.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 05:26:08 am
tnx ghg...that needs to be rectified as a lot can be learned from real time diag flow readings..i do not have issues now but i always like to have all tools in hand when needed...
2014 c5 military

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 05:30:30 am
Yah.  That's what I heard too.

Only a dealer can buy one of the scanners and they cost him several thousand dollars so maybe Kevin will correct me but I don't think there is a dealer in the US who owns one.

Of course, the RE EFI has a self diagnosis feature that winks the engine check light several different ways to tell the owner what the problem is if there is one.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 05:38:54 am

tnx ghg...that needs to be rectified as a lot can be learned from real time diag flow readings..i do not have issues now but i always like to have all tools in hand when needed...

I agree..... it's enough to make trouble shooting maddening.  So remember, that when ever you have a sensor unplugged..... with key on. You Will store a code, which can't be cleared.  Whenever you ground the ECU test wire. ALL the stored codes will blink.  The Last code generated, will be the first code that blinks.  Sounds easy right ?...... Well try keeping track of more then a few codes that blink over and over, with no real warning as to when one code stops and the next one starts .  :o  Sucks !! ::)

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 05:41:48 am
ok...it is a shame though...i have a gm tech 2 scan tool and it so nice not to just read codes but to see real time data that caused codes...hmmm...i would think it should be a dealer required special tool...i am depressed :(
2014 c5 military

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 05:48:12 am
as we all know a fault code means that the ecu has recieved data from sensor that is out of expected parameters...it does not mean the sensor is bad...that is why we need to see a data stream...i shall investigate this further...heck i may be the first on my block with one ;D ;D
2014 c5 military

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 05:49:16 am
  You would THINK it would be required !...... Geez. How efficient and timing saving it would be for the Tech and Customer.   I would think that a scanner for another Jap bike, that uses the Keihin EFI system might work...... But maybe not?  Pricey experiment though.

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 05:58:33 am
there is ,i just looked, a moto 7000 universal scan tool for motorcycles...i am going to call tommorrow to see if it will work on r.e. ...it is around 1000 bucks which i think would be well worth it...the add says works on all bikes??????????????????????
2014 c5 military

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 02:32:45 pm
Surely it's just software! Maybe we could get some whiz kid to write a program?
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Markku

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 06:51:19 pm
In the youtube video's "Royal Enfield Classic 500 ECU scan vol.1" and "... vol.2" the scanning system is "multifunction vd100 motorbike diagnostic scanner motorcycle repair tool" from China (108 US dollars). The plug to K-line is not included, but it is type B6AP (1:12V, 4:K-line, 6:Ground). It is not OBDII system.
I ordered it, changed the plug and program works as in the video. First i got an empty cd, but after some e-mailing i got an address, where i could load the program. The delivery from China to Finland took 2 weeks and e-mailing 3 days.
Earlier i tried  TuneECU system (which works with KTM, same ECU and same plug), but it did'nt work.
The program runs in my XP laptop. The sensor values are shown but you can't see the map or make any changes to system.
REgards
Markku

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 08:33:17 pm
In other words you still can't delete codes that were resolved?
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 09:25:53 pm
I am getting frustrated...but I just wrote a letter to keihin usa...hope they will be decent enough to respond...all other bike systems have available scan and diag tools ...i will not rest until we do also >:(
2014 c5 military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 06:48:42 am
Try TechnoResearch.  They make hookups for almost every bike out there.  The one for my Ducati was great. 

Scott

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 04:14:23 pm
tnx scott...just called and they are closed until 1/3/14...will try then...
2014 c5 military