Author Topic: Carberry vibration reduction plate  (Read 3876 times)

Manjirider

• Neophyte
  • 2014 Classic 500 & 2004 GS1200
on: July 14, 2020, 11:04:21 am
Has anyone fitted one of these to their Classic 500 Efi themselves? Any issues? Do they work?

Snotball

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 01:07:50 pm
I haven’t fitted one myself but know of two people who have. One thought it might have made a difference and the second thought it did not.

majstevetrevor

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 01:53:33 pm
Here are two videos on the plate, one on installation and one on the effects. The guy's a fan, though he recognizes that others are not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRidt9V3Dcw&list=PLmVgB9c9_om2V2eVrcKzMUPkQOyzEP154

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OXn9ec954Y&t=187s

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 06:31:14 pm
I fitted one, couldn't tell any difference so took it out again.

Frank

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 11:15:38 pm
Our esteemed Forum member 'Brad the Maddman' did an installation video as well:  https://youtu.be/SLnhYPl3_Cs
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 05:22:23 am
I put one in a couple of years ago and it helped reduce vibrations, but I had also simultaneously changed the piston, pushrods, valves and porting etc with ScooterBob and GHGs help.....still in the bike but my riding has been minimal recently so can’t provide a long term report.

GHG put one in but found that the bearings had worn out prematurely and took it out.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 08:32:44 pm
Was it really a couple of years ago it came out?

Feels like yesterday :D

MaxW

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 10:55:51 am
I haven't fitted one myself, but I've seen them fitted, and it looks pretty straightforward: just make sure you have access to a magneto puller (27mm, if I recall correctly.

Now, as to whether or not they work...  Like all things RE, it seems that it depends on the bike. Some people  claim amazing results, whereas some people say it made no difference. I actually know of one dealership that refuses to sell them anymore as they have fitted several to customers' bikes over the years, and have not noticed any difference.

Just my tuppence worth....

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 02:56:44 pm
Snake oil. I’m taking mine off when I service my bike after I rebuilt the engine. It never had any noticeable effect and anyway nobody said there was an issue with the timing side main bearing until the solution arrived.....
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 03:06:24 pm
I installed one on my C5 and liked it at first...

I think it changed the vibration into the foot pegs, and after awhile I started feeling the vibration in my spine.   :P

It all became very unpleasant, so that combined with fear the bearing may be bad, I took it it out.

Immediately my bike became the awesome ride I knew and loved again!  :)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 07:16:59 pm
Yes, I’m hoping for the same when I remove mine. I have a feeling it’s holding the l/h crankshaft rigidly and that it would be better off flexing a little. It reminds me of Matchless and AJS back in the fifties. They derided Triumph’s use of only two main bearings and the resultant flex in the crankshaft and hence vibration this set/up caused. So they decided to put in a third main bearing in the middle (an extra one on the drive side would have been a better idea). Result: worse vibration and, until they fitted nodular steel crankshafts to the later 650cc bikes, crankshaft breakages. The inherent vibration in these UCE bikes is down partly to the nature of a large capacity single without a balance shaft, partly because the engine is a stressed member in a potentially inaccurately built frame and partly because of indifferent quality control in crankshaft assembly at the factory. Occasionally all these factors come together to produce a bad ‘un. A weedy little needle roller bearing isn’t going to help much IMHO. Other opinions are available....
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 04:24:08 am
I haven't fitted one myself, but I've seen them fitted, and it looks pretty straightforward: just make sure you have access to a magneto puller (27mm, if I recall correctly.

Now, as to whether or not they work...  Like all things RE, it seems that it depends on the bike. Some people  claim amazing results, whereas some people say it made no difference. I actually know of one dealership that refuses to sell them anymore as they have fitted several to customers' bikes over the years, and have not noticed any difference.

Just my tuppence worth....

Yep ...by all accounts,  it seems like if your bike has a certain sort of shake to it the plate does wonders and the owner raves about it, but if its a relatively "good" bike or your vibration problems are of a different sort, it does nothing or can actually make the vibrations worse.  Seems very bike specific, will fix one bike and make the next one worse.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 05:47:47 pm
In my opinion, the Carberry vibration reduction plate is an answer to a question that was never asked.  Much adieu about nothing that introduces one more bearing that can possibly fail.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 05:05:34 pm
I’ve had one I mine since new. Smoother than I’d imagined (much better than what I remember my 535 to be.

Going to go to a 19t. Countershaft soon, I’ll take a peek at it then.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Markus Oz

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 08:44:18 am
Dealer installed one on my first service at 500km. 2019 Classic 500. Not sure if it really made much difference as I was still treating the bike gently anyway. However I have now done 2000 km and vibration seems to be what you would expect of a big single. Hasn't really bothered me at all, no sore hands etc. Dealer swore by it, so I just went with his advice. Watching the Youtube video it looks straight forward to do. I did buy myself a puller if need to use it in the future.