Author Topic: Bar end mirrors  (Read 24062 times)

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 12:49:27 am
Sure!  On bicycles and tennis rackets we always just use electrical tape to finish and hold the end of the wrapping.  You can get all colors including a brown shade.  Or your team colors!

Cookie

I have the same grips but in black. I used black electrical tape around the inner end of the grip, which is invisible over the black leather. Works great.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 12:52:04 am
My local hardware store has a good selection of black, nylon plugs and caps.  I've found ones that fit perfectly in the mirror holes on my bikes which have bar end mirrors.

Cookie

A plug for the mirror hole. Took some superglue to hold it.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 11:48:17 am
My local hardware store has a good selection of black, nylon plugs and caps.  I've found ones that fit perfectly in the mirror holes on my bikes which have bar end mirrors.

Olhogrider - I know you've probably seen this already, but for others...

Napa part #6652391. Black plastic, press-fit. $6 for 18 of them - no superglue needed...

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6652391

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 03:36:23 pm
So off I went to Cyclegear. They had them. $40 for one, $50 for two.

Forgot to ask: which specific ones did you get at CycleGear? I'm looking at their webpage now and can't match up anything on that page that looks like what you got. I won't be able to get to our store until Saturday, and I'd like to have an idea of what I'm looking for when I get there.

Options that look close:

2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

Tuchulcha

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 04:54:33 pm
Olhogrider-I'm about to order some similar, as the "Mickey Mouse" ears just have to go.  Those you have look good!  Where did you have that tank done?  That looks cool as hell.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 09:03:57 pm
Forgot to ask: which specific ones did you get at CycleGear? I'm looking at their webpage now and can't match up anything on that page that looks like what you got. I won't be able to get to our store until Saturday, and I'd like to have an idea of what I'm looking for when I get there.

Options that look close:

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/speedmetal-billet-bar-end-mirrors

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 09:05:35 pm
Olhogrider - I know you've probably seen this already, but for others...

Napa part #6652391. Black plastic, press-fit. $6 for 18 of them - no superglue needed...

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6652391

That's what I wanted! I should have asked here first ::)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 11:01:35 pm
That's what I wanted! I should have asked here first ::)

:D

Always check here first... either by asking, or searching the archives.  I learned about those plugs here on this forum -  seven years ago...

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2019, 11:16:43 pm
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/speedmetal-billet-bar-end-mirrors

Outstanding. Thanks! Placed on reserve at our local Cycle Gear and will pick up tomorrow or Saturday.

No issues with vibration at speed, like some of the reviews mention?

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #24 on: November 23, 2019, 03:27:59 pm
Picked up from CycleGear and added mine last night. Easy install; didn't file down the raised edge on the exposed inner end after the end cap came off so a bit tilted on the bar end itself, but only like 5 degrees and doesn't affect anything. Bigger issue is one mirror is still pretty loose no matter how much I tighten. I think I have it tight enough but first ride will tell the tale. Pics soon.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:31:25 pm by mwmosser »

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #25 on: November 23, 2019, 04:40:33 pm
No issues with vibration at speed, like some of the reviews mention?

My bike is remarkably smooth at all speeds. I mean there is hardly any felt vibration on my grips through the handlebars, and I can't see any evidence of buzz visually on the mirrors, either. Very pleased!
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #26 on: November 23, 2019, 06:12:12 pm
Still making up my mind on these. Seem a bit wide. Was thinking they would go up more than they do, but rather they go out first and then up. I know why - to eliminate blind spots. But the bike now seems a lot wider than it was before.

Of course, I could reverse them, and make the mirrors go inboard instead of outboard.... ???
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 06:55:24 pm by mwmosser »

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 23, 2019, 07:57:07 pm
Picked up from CycleGear and added mine last night. Easy install; didn't file down the raised edge on the exposed inner end after the end cap came off so a bit tilted on the bar end itself, but only like 5 degrees and doesn't affect anything. Bigger issue is one mirror is still pretty loose no matter how much I tighten. I think I have it tight enough but first ride will tell the tale. Pics soon.

There is a trick. Loosen the Allen bolt farthest from the mirror, then tighten the one closest to the mirror until the mirror is as tight as you like. Then go back and retighten the other bolt.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 11:03:15 pm
There is a trick. Loosen the Allen bolt farthest from the mirror, then tighten the one closest to the mirror until the mirror is as tight as you like. Then go back and retighten the other bolt.

Thanks - think I might have discovered this on my own, as I did get it tighter this morning. But not yet ridden to confirm it's as tight as I want.

Any issues with the width? The bike's a full foot wider than it used to be now. I don't plan on lane-splitting so that's not an issue, but just wanted your impression.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 02:10:34 am
Yes, this style of bar end mirror sticks way out, making the whole bike really wide.

I have this type on my Cafe Racer, but only one mirror, so it is wide only on one side, but a real pain trying to fit it into my garage, the mirror gets in the way and gets bumped.

On another bike I got the kind of bar end mirrors that stick up rather than out.  Down side is my arm and elbow is a bit in the picture.

Another option is fold-able bar end mirrors, which you fold flat against the bike for parking in a tight spot, and they unfold to the original correct position.  "lane spliters" it think they are called

FWIW....I seem to see the exact same mirrors, sold under many different brand names, for wildly varying prices.  Probably all made in the same factory in China.

I think my stand up type bar end mirrors cost only $16 for the pair!  I would say "good Chinese quality"

The mirrors I lust after...I forgot the brand name....but they are not glass...they are curved and polished aluminum...special coating...they a super thin and super light...but over $100 a pair (so above my cheap ass budget)

Cookie

Still making up my mind on these. Seem a bit wide. Was thinking they would go up more than they do, but rather they go out first and then up. I know why - to eliminate blind spots. But the bike now seems a lot wider than it was before.

Of course, I could reverse them, and make the mirrors go inboard instead of outboard.... ???