Author Topic: Member Map  (Read 5169 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: October 11, 2019, 10:59:53 am
This came up about a year ago, with no conclusions drawn...

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=26580.0

In a nutshell: there is a member map link in the top menu bar - it isn't clear whether anyone can add their location, despite there being a link for doing so, nor how to do it.

I wonder if the new "administration" can get it sorted; I think it's a great idea to have one!  No need for exact locations, but a general area (like a city) to have a rough idea where all my friends are would be nice...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 09:46:30 pm
Agreed.
All the link does is pop you into your profile, with no way to add your pin.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 11:11:29 pm
I am still getting the "data base error" warning when I tried to post a "cut and paste" joke today.   :(

I wish I knew what the rules were that would avoid the "error" issue.   ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 02:53:39 am
I am still getting the "data base error" warning when I tried to post a "cut and paste" joke today.   :(

I wish I knew what the rules were that would avoid the "error" issue.   ???
What your seeing is the new "Joke Value Detector" or JVD in action.

It reads your joke and if it isn't funny, it dumps it into the "Crappy Joke" folder.  Even the JVD can't retrieve it from there once the joke is dumped.

Now, if your jokes were always funny like mine are, the JVD would be happy and your joke would appear on the forum for everyone else to enjoy.

OK.  I'll admit it,  It didn't like my joke about the Old man with a dog who was sitting in the park...%%$&*($#@@@%%^^^^^^^^error!  ERROR.....spitttssssss,,poppoppoppop  Bzzzzz!

DAMN!  I thought that joke was funny but I guess the JVD remembered it. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 11:42:38 am
What your seeing is the new "Joke Value Detector" or JVD in action.

;D

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 01:59:44 pm
But my joke was about spandex-wearing bicycle riders road-blocking vehicle traffic.  :o Who could complain about that kind of joke?   ;D

It was titled:  THE CYCLIST (homo-bicyclerus)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 04:37:27 pm
But my joke was about spandex-wearing bicycle riders road-blocking vehicle traffic.  :o Who could complain about that kind of joke?   ;D

It was titled:  THE CYCLIST (homo-bicyclerus)

You just cannot! criticize urban bicycle riders. They are a special class protected by the laws of political correctness. They have the moral high ground and are saving the planet - just ask them. AND they elect Progressives who hover over them like an old brood hen.

Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of men? The Al Gore Rhythms know.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 04:43:48 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 08:12:21 pm
Who cares who rides what?  As long as they're a member of this forum, why can't they be on the map?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 10:05:40 pm
That 'Members Map' may well have been a feature of the old pre-updated Forum system of a couple years back no longer supported by the new one, or its data may never have been re-imported during the swap. I suppose in a pinch one could direct that link to a current-day DIY Google Map similar to these versions I cobbled together for North American Dealerships. (NOTE WELL-- Please do not add your home address to these unless you're happy to rebuild random strangers' engines):

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:21:35 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 10:06:57 pm
Who cares who rides what?  As long as they're a member of this forum, why can't they be on the map?

Unfortunately, I put my comment in the wrong thread and then just decided to leave it there because I am lazy.   :-[

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 10:34:27 am
Unfortunately, I put my comment in the wrong thread and then just decided to leave it there because I am lazy.   :-[

Now... lazy is something I understand!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 10:37:13 am
That 'Members Map' may well have been a feature of the old pre-updated Forum system of a couple years back no longer supported by the new one, or its data may never have been re-imported during the swap. I suppose in a pinch one could direct that link to a current-day DIY Google Map similar to these versions I cobbled together for North American Dealerships. (NOTE WELL-- Please do not add your home address to these unless you're happy to rebuild random strangers' engines):

Yeah, that's always an option.  But the forum map, despite its antiquated data and non-current function, just seems like it would be ideal.  Can't just anyone add to or edit a Google Map?  Less chance of spammers and such on a forum map...

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 09:00:38 pm
I've not looked at the map, but I'd be wary of putting a location pin on one in a public forum. Personally speaking.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 11:06:57 pm
I just looked at the map and I see that I'm still on it so, the old data wasn't lost.

As far as posting my location on a public map goes, I agree that posting your address would be foolish.  That said, when I entered my location on that map I put it several miles from where I actually live.
I figure there are more than 10,000 houses within two miles of me so if anyone wants to use that map to find me, the odds against them finding me is at least 10,000 to 1.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 12:13:02 am
I just looked at the map and I see that I'm still on it so, the old data wasn't lost.

As far as posting my location on a public map goes, I agree that posting your address would be foolish.  That said, when I entered my location on that map I put it several miles from where I actually live.
I figure there are more than 10,000 houses within two miles of me so if anyone wants to use that map to find me, the odds against them finding me is at least 10,000 to 1.

Our Forum member 'Forced Induction' has one up on you in terms of misdirection. According to his Members Map entry he can be found somewhere in the pack ice off the Antarctic coast, as described here.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.