Author Topic: 2019 R.E. 411 did i hurt the fuel pump?  (Read 1892 times)

drousy88

• Neophyte
on: February 13, 2021, 03:56:31 am
new to forum! vin # ME3FSM249KK436115
I unplugged the fuel line from pump and got nasty watery fuel so i tried to pump it out but would only run for a second. So i gave power to orange? wire and then it would run for 3 seconds, so i gave ground to darker wire and it pumped the whole tank out. Then i put fresh gas in and let it idle for 15 min, then when i tried to drive it it acts like its running out of fuel. when i discconect the fuel line and turn the key on, it shoots out with pressure for a milisecond and then just dribbles. Could i have run the pump backwards? Hurt the ECU? Ruined the pump? thx in advance!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 06:33:57 am
Welcome to the Forum! By "R.E. 411" in your topic I presumed you meant a "Himalayan", so I have taken the liberty of moving your question to this section of the Forum, where you are likeliest to get a knowledgeable response.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 10:33:51 am
As far as I know the fuel pump is just a DC motor - so as long as it is connected the right way and it is running it should work.

There is a nice YouTube video available servicing Himalayan fuel pump and it’s filter - may be that helps...

What could be checked: Is there any failure code in display or obd read out?

Regards
Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 10:40:12 am
Welcome to the Forum! By "R.E. 411" in your topic I presumed you meant a "Himalayan", so I have taken the liberty of moving your question to this section of the Forum, where you are likeliest to get a knowledgeable response.

knowledgeable?  ;D

He doesn't know us very well does he.

Now I need to make up a suggestion for drousy68
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 10:44:36 am
Did you run things completely dry and how long did you let it run after it was dry?
I believe (don't 'know' because I have a carby bike and that doesn't have a pump) the pump is cooled by petrol in the tank but I suspect you weren't hamfisted enough to run it for long enough to hurt it.
I think it's more more likely you've got an air lock in there so maybe google pump problems and how to bleed them. Instructions for a Himalayan would be good but the model or even brand probably doesn't matter.

Best of luck. It sucks when we hurt our babies by trying to look after them.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 12:42:00 pm
The first thing I'd do is remove the pump from the tank and give it a good cleaning. There have been a lot of reports of debris in the tank, paint chips, swarf etc making there way into the pump and clogging it up.

drousy88

• Neophyte
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 03:50:10 am
thanks guys, it was just trash in the tank. i took it off and dumped it and popped the fuel pump module off and blew it out, all good!

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 12:52:39 pm
There have been a lot of reports of debris in the tank, paint chips, swarf etc making there way into the pump and clogging it up.
Is there no fuel filter?
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 05:37:53 pm
Is there no fuel filter?
There is a mesh screen that's attached to the pump, it can be cleaned or replaced, but you have to pull the pump to get to it. There is no external filter.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 10:18:33 am
It won't help for what the factory left inside the tank, but for whatever you put in there a Guglatech filter is probably one of the better solutions!
https://www.guglatech.com/en/categoria-prodotto/fuel/?_sft_brand=himalayan-en
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 03:21:25 pm
Well the pump is only a motor simple on or off, many pumps have a separate pump filter check this is not clogged an efi system relies on a certain amount of pressure in the lines unlike gravity feed system, you need do a total investigation of whole system.