Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 4746 times)

bd311

• Scooter
on: March 14, 2011, 08:23:06 pm
In what year did they first come out with the UCE engines and were they reliable at first or did they get better after a certain year? Im looking to buy my first royal enfield and didnt know if I should look for a bike after a certain year. Any help/advice will be really appreciated. Thanks

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:27:50 pm
09 was the first year, mine has been rock solid from day one. Welcome to the forum!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

bd311

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:43:41 pm
Should I go with the UCE or is the older style engine just as reliable?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 09:04:22 pm
Welcome aboard bd311.

The answer to your question depends on you.

Would you rather ride/wrench/ride or just ride ?

The UCE is the toughest most trouble free single that RE has made to date.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:27:22 pm
The new engine makes more power, requires less maintenance, and runs much cleaner than the older models.  Additionally, the older models are being phased out of production.  Unless you buy used or left over stock, you probably can't get an old iron barrel or AVL model.

Get the UCE, it's better all around.

There was a recall for the transmission on some of the early UCE models, it was all sorted out.

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:24:09 pm
Hiho bd311!

If it´s about reliability the answer is clear as mud: the UCE is your bike. I´m around the US,  British and German RE-forum and I never read about a major blow-up. Scotty just described the advantages of the UCE over the iron barrel.
At the start of the series in 2008 there was a faulty shaft in the gear box, but this issue was resolved by a genaral recall of all affected bikes. Some bikes develop problems with the starter and the handling of the Bullet Classic is - in certain cases - highly dependent on proper adjustment of all components of frame and suspension. If anything that´s about all you should worry.
Don´t get me wrong: the UCE-Bullet is a modern motorcycle, build by people who pay attention to traditions in machinery construction in an uncommon, very intensive way. That´s what many RE-fans really like a lot.
There is, however, a way to get a (almost) new original 50ies-bike: the iron barrel-Bullet, sold new up to 2009. These bikes are easy to get in the US (as well as in Europe) with low mileage. Alas, maintenance is critical and time-consuming, in addition nobody should be surprised by breakdowns once in a while, as Indian machining quality was sometimes a bit unsteady in the days before UCE.
The result of this effort, however, is the unique opportunity to get grandpa´s 1954-bike without a restoration and acess to  wordwide aftermarket part supply.
Whatever you´ll take: you get a big grin stamped in your face whenever you´ll ride your Bullet. For free - guaranteed!

2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 02:00:03 am
I love my AVL.  Getting old oil on my hands takes some of the mystery out of what's going on in there.  When someone compliments the bike, I can take a little more credit than just having had the money to go buy it- I help keep it running like this. 
Run what ya brung

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 02:41:59 am
The UCE is not simply a turn-key operation.  I've spent more time fussing over the C5 than my last three motorcycles combined.  New muffler, air filter, rear pillion, wax, chain lube, tighten loose nuts and bolts, two oil/filter changes, check spokes, etc. 

That's mostly a good thing as now the C5 and I have become decent friends, so to speak.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

bd311

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 02:46:51 am
I really want one of the C5 UCE but would like to start off if a used one. Does anyone have any ideas about finding one?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 02:55:49 am
I've built and maintained motorcycles and engines of all types all my life, it's not a novelty to me. I truly enjoy riding a classic style bike that I don't have to constantly screw with. you will do routine maintenance on anything you ride, but to me less is more.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:30:51 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 08:26:39 am
I've built and maintained motorcycles and engines of all types all my life, it's not a novelty to me. I truly enjoy riding a classic style bike that I don't have to constantly screw with. you will do routine maintenance on anything you ride, but to me less is more.

Funny thing...
Now that you mention it, for some reason I sort of got to feeling that way about the Flatheads I had.  Now I wonder why I don't feel that way about the Enfield. 
Run what ya brung

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 08:48:56 am
Age.  The older you get the more you need things that need you ;)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 12:34:53 pm
That's funny, flatheads are one of my favorite tinker toys. I don't mind working on them at all :D
Iron Butt Association

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 02:19:40 pm
I really want one of the C5 UCE but would like to start off if a used one. Does anyone have any ideas about finding one?

There are lots of used Enfields on Ebay and Craigs List.  Be patient, the right one will show up.

Good luck.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 03:46:37 pm
If you're considering and older model I recommend you pick up Pete Snidal's manual for them.  It's about $30 and tells you everything you'd need to know to keep one running.  It's good to know what you're getting into.

Scott