Author Topic: The Bullet "Commuting" Big Time  (Read 1932 times)

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
on: March 14, 2011, 11:45:40 am
We are all familiar with epic travelogues from the like of Ted Simon (on an old Brit Street Bike, and repeated more recently on BMW) and Ewan McGregor /Charley Boorman (also on BMW) , and even some of the unfolding Ural world travels (Burro has Three Wheels / or the French guy whose name I can't at this moment recall who is on a continuous world tour on Ural equipment) but I think, due to the unusual history of RE that we in North America are probably unaware of the extent to which this brand has proved it's worth in this regard.   Though there are lots of "India" travel stories it would be a mistake , I believe , to think of this machine as an "Indian" brand  in some way only suitable for "Indian" travel.  The link attached  highlighting  a trip from the early 70's  underscores this.  I am not sure if there are extensions to the link:  The author referes to extensive pics, so maybe there will be more forthcoming in "The Trip" one of RE's newsletters.   What is here is short and sweet but tells a story.  Enjoy    Nigel

http://www.royalenfield.com/community/trip/WorldTour197172.aspx

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 03:22:56 pm
nice...

met Mr. Simon at our local BMW dealership. He was giving a lecture on his travels on the BMW.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 01:59:03 pm
The "French guy's" name came to me this morning:  Hubert (Sorry Hubert, no disrespect intended)  .   Anyway, my main intention in starting this thread was to point out that 4 guys travelled 2 up with gear  on two  stock  350 cc Iron Barrel  Bullets (175 cc each) travelled around the world (ie far away from any local network of support in India for repairs etc) in extremes of climate over  undoubtedly bad to non existent roads over 100,000 kms. in one year .  That's a feat .   That's the kind of endurance other brands dream of advertising.  And this happened in the early 1970s well before "Adventure Touring" had become the "thing to do"   These four guys just hopped on their bikes and went.  They trusted their machines that much.   
Now, modern manufacturer's seem to want to tell us that we need ABS, global positioning, water cooling, high tech multivalued overhead cam engines with special high tech telelever forks , self checking tire inflation and 1200 cc of displacement to do what these 4 intrepid characters did on the humble Bullet 350. 
The mere fact that this happened and is not part of the advertising for RE (so far as I know)  is a testament in itself to the brand.   And if they did it on less sophisticated higher maintenance Iron Barrels with only 350 cc two up , what could a solo rider on 500 cc UCE accomplish.  Again, I come back to saying that to me , the unsung strength of the reincarnated Bullet is none other than its role as a rugged reliable long distance hauler. It is absolutely perfect for this.  (Doesn't mean you can't monkey around with it to get a little more performance mind you, though you absolutely don't need to to do this job.  )  and if it can do that, I think it will fill most of our ordinary commuting needs.

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 03:18:34 pm
This story I want read so how do I get hold of it?Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 03:42:43 pm
Not sure: ,  The link I posted was RE's own newletter , or one of them anyway.  That may be the story.  Perhaps an email to "The Trip" would induce them to run the full story with pics, or maybe they are planning to do that anyway.  The fellow did say it was the 40th anniversary, so I am sure they were planning a bigger splash than this. I would like to read the whole thing too, so will try to email the editor of this newsletter to see whats up.    Nigel.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 03:55:08 pm
My note to RE customer service:

Reply |Nigel Ogston to customerservice
show details 11:51 AM (2 minutes ago)

Hello   Your December 2010 Issue of "The Trip" featured a short (1 paragraph) article without pics noting the 40th anniversary of a World Tour on 2 RE Bullet 350s undertaken by 4 fellows (Subhash Sharma et al) .   There did not seem to be any further links or blogs attached.   You have us all intrigued.  Will there be more?  Pictures?  When-what issue?  If Mr Sharma and the others need encouragement to finish this article please assurethem that readers in North America and elsewhere (who follow the US forum)  are very keen to see the travelogue of their epic journey, and that this kind of brand  awareness is fantastic for your growing overseas market.   Thank you in anticipation of your reply.  Nigel Ogston, Canada.   

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:43:38 pm
To those who are interested, here is the reply from RE customer service with the information on coverage of the 1972 World Tour on RE 350s . 

Dear Nigel,

Mr Sharma did come down to India and with his fellow riders  came to the Royal Enfield factory to celebrate the 40th anniversary of his epic world tour. We shall be coming out with an article on his visit and the world tour memories in our subsequent issue of THE BEAT.
  "THE BEAT" is another of RE's free publications avaiable on the India Website.  If you haven't looked at back issues, it is actually quite good   Here is a link (I am getting better at this!)

http://www.royalenfield.com/company/re_publications.aspx     

Nigel
Regards

Praveen P Sathaye