Author Topic: Round one break in done:)  (Read 1585 times)

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
on: March 12, 2011, 02:30:03 am
Hey guys, had a little milestone on my 07 bullet tonight. Hit the 310 mile mark which puts an end to the super slow running which is a huge pain in the Chicago area! So happy i can accelerate a little quicker now and can at least cruise decently at 40-45 mph. Still gonna baby it but at least i can be a little more free now. On a side note, holy crap does this Goldstar exhaust make some noise! Sounded nuts at 40ish lol.

And the funny part for good measure, i didnt hit the "new top speed" until i hit 311 miles ;D She is running pretty decent though. Still a little finicky at cold idle but alot better now that i am priming the bike properly and can get her to go at 1-2 kicks. It stalled on me once today at cold idle and i accidently hit the choke lever down when getting ready to kick it over so that had me stumped as to why it was hard to  get it kicked over but i quickly found out why. So many little things to do but it is fun and a learning experience. Im hoping to get through this next break in round a little quicker as its warming up here now and i should have more chances to get out regularly. Its also easier to run it when you can go quicker haha!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 02:47:00 am
the bikes are so much fun..u know that their not the  fastest things but they handle like u on a rail and their just like a dam drug when u on them...that why we looked stupid stony shit smiley face....most of us goofy anyway, just makes it worst..r u sure u need this..
Oh Magoo you done it again

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:03:07 pm
I think you must be getting a pretty good ritual going on start up if it is down to 1-2 kicks."bout as good as it can be.Sounds like you are really doing the break in rite,still.Good time to check the fasteners and have you been in to the primary yet?My alternator was loose from the start and ate itself,if I had checked early on,could have prevented failure.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:20:51 pm
the bikes are so much fun..u know that their not the  fastest things but they handle like u on a rail and their just like a dam drug when u on them...that why we looked stupid stony shit smiley face....most of us goofy anyway, just makes it worst..r u sure u need this..

I am up to the task ;D Ive had 2 previous other bikes, both being fully dressed cruisers and i wanted something old school and simple, no bags or shield etc. Now that i have the enfield and my monster cruiser i think i have the best of both worlds. One for long rides and touring, the other for bike shows and local putting around. Not bad!

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 01:24:55 pm
I think you must be getting a pretty good ritual going on start up if it is down to 1-2 kicks."bout as good as it can be.Sounds like you are really doing the break in rite,still.Good time to check the fasteners and have you been in to the primary yet?My alternator was loose from the start and ate itself,if I had checked early on,could have prevented failure.

Hey single. Ya ive checked all fasteners and was in the primary when i got it to change all fluids. You had mentioned the stator bolts then and i checked and all was well. I am gonna do all the fluids again at 600 and ill also recheck the stator bolts. So far so good. I have done the trans and primary oils once, and the engine oil a few times. Im really trying to keep clean fluids in this at all times esp during break in. Chain is still nice and tight and well lubed. Cables are also lubed and tensioned properly. Cant wat to get past that 600 mile mark though and let the bike run a hair more.

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:10:54 pm
their just like a dam drug when u on them...that why we looked stupid stony shit smiley face....most of us goofy anyway, just makes it worst..

I am almost 300 mile in on the re-build break in for my '99...starts..runs..and rides way diff. Almost like having a new bike.  :)   Do it slow...do it right and it will save you in the long run... ;D 
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 02:48:46 pm

I am almost 300 mile in on the re-build break in for my '99...starts..runs..and rides way diff. Almost like having a new bike.  :)   Do it slow...do it right and it will save you in the long run... ;D 

Absolutely! I am glad i was a lurker here for a few years. I learned alot just by all the posts and knew that i had to baby the bike in the beginning to help it in the long run etc. The previous owner only put 201 miles on it but knew what the bike needed too so it had a decent start, just had been sitting for a bit and needed some TLC to get going but nothing major. The good thing with me is i generally take it easy on my bikes anyway, its just good to know that after a certain amount of mileage ill be able to get it on when needed or for the hell of it with no worries.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 08:21:33 pm
 Glad to hear it a br. greek.

If yours is like mine around the 500 mile mark she wanted to GO a bit more and then at around 1,500 she REaly woke up  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 03:52:45 am
Glad to hear it a br. greek.

If yours is like mine around the 500 mile mark she wanted to GO a bit more and then at around 1,500 she REaly woke up  ;D

Thanks Ice! Ya she definitely was not complaining about going a little faster. In all honesty i think she has been ready for a little while now. Maybe its the free flowing Goldie with the K+N filter and she is breathing better and breaking in easier etc. Its funny too as i had a buddy of mine come by today an he has not seen the bike since i got it and had the carb slide issues etc. In other words, the bike was in limbo then so today was a good day to fire it up since things have improved big time since that day. Crazy thing is that it seemd to cold idle a hell of alot better since the last time i rode it(yesterday:) . Maybe i blew some crap out of it on the "hard run" yesterday haha!  ;D Anyway he was pumped to hear it thumping and felt the bike vibrating like crazy. Good times man!