Author Topic: Oil diarrhoea  (Read 3022 times)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
on: March 16, 2011, 09:37:53 pm
Monday I fetched my Precious from my dealer, she just had her 6000 km maintenance. Apart from some other things that went wrong, on my way home after stopping at the first red light after 30 km, I noticed bright smoke ascending as well as a burned smell. Looking down at the silencer I realized oil everywhere - the lower right side was soaked in oil completely!
Obviously the mechanic overfilled the oil tank, as the stuff came out of the air filter box. The oil filter was, of course, also drowned. The rear tire´s flank was well lubricated, too - I was quite lucky not to have tried a deep right corner. I´m really pissed. Two days later after two hours of cleaning it´s still dripping  >:(
My question: had anyone made a similar mistake? I worry about my seals. The oil level, however, is now exactly on maximum - at least my bike has enough sense of proportion to adjust the level correctly.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:41:45 pm
In spades!! Same dealer experience.Your oil may still be too high: hot 1/2 is good. Cold, at bottom of glass.

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:33:22 pm
After my first service, I found some oil coming out of the airbox, though not nearly in the quantity you were saying, but enough to start smoking on the exhaust and make a bit of a mess. I spoke to the mechanic at the dealer, and he told me it's pretty typical and it's just how the bike finds the "right" amount of oil. After a few rides (and cleaning up afterword) it seems to have stopped and leveled off just below the half-full mark. But your case sounds like the dealer went overboard.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:04:23 pm
Joe - You are dead on here! As I've mentioned in some other threads - the oil level in these machines is CRITICAL. six ounces can over-run the separator baffle and cause it to puke like a college freshman after his first weekend at school .....  ;) I keep the Crash Test Dummy's oil level slightly below the sight glass low line - I have to tip the bike a little to see the oil. It's OK, however - no amount of shameless flogging can make it consume any oil ..... and when hot, the level is right smack in the middle of the glass. Any dealer who know this and abide by it after all this time isn't paying attention to what they know .....  >:(
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:04:23 am
Two days later after two hours of cleaning it´s still dripping  >:(

My question: had anyone made a similar mistake?

@Maturin:

Sorry to hear this unnecessary aggravation caused by overfilling.  I did not have this bad on my G5 but had close call when it was new.  If the bike is still dripping after two days, I would suggest the following -

1. Loosen the drain plug and drain some oil out so that its level is just below the Max line in the window.

2.  Remove the breather tube (picture below) and clean the inside thoroughly to remove oil residue that is sticking inside.  You can use isopropanol to rinse the inside of tube and then blow dry with a hair dryer.

3. Replace the air filter with a new one.

4.  Wash the bike thoroughly with soap / water.  

Hope it helps and by doing so all the traces of excess oil are removed from the bike.  And BTW - the bike always runs faster after washing so be careful - don't get a speeding ticket   :D.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:25:02 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 10:35:40 am
Aw, come on Singhg - you want to leave that oil ON there! It prevents rust ..... I hose MINE down with WD-40 because it WON'T leak enough!  ;)

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 07:15:55 pm
 :D :D got good point there bob especially after seeing my bikes condition recentley but I followed the Proffesers advice and put back the exact amount that came out back in and found this ideal also bike doesn't seem to be using oil well not that I can see in the last 400 odd mls so are these UCE bikes  oil efficient or have I got a "good un " know thats not a big milleage to tell enough  but didnt seem to use any from new.Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:30:33 pm
It shouldn't use any oil Don. My G5 never uses a drop between oill changes (2000 - 3000 miles). I don't think this is unusual with these bikes.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 09:16:42 pm
Mine didn't use a drop in the first 3,500 because it didn't go more than 1,500m between changes. From 3,750m I decided to leave it until the 7,500m service - which is tomorrow - and lo and behold I have topped up the oil a few times in that period. This was the case much more in hot weather when I guess it ran hotter than during winter. Rest assured I am not talking about more than 200ml or so at a time so maybe a total of 750ml over 3,000m which is well within handbook tolerances.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 09:36:05 pm
Aw, come on Singhg - you want to leave that oil ON there! It prevents rust ..... I hose MINE down with WD-40 because it WON'T leak enough!  ;)

May be I should have filled with 3 to 4 litres of oil, that would have taken care of right side of bike - and the silencer that caught rust without enough WD-40 on it  :D.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:03:09 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 01:03:18 am
May be I should have filled with 3 to 4 litres of oil, that would have taken care of right side of bike - and the silencer that caught rust without enough WD-40 on it  :D.

Hahaha! THAT woulda dunnit, me thinks .... !  ;)

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 01:53:43 am
The best way to prevent rust is to ride south of the equator from October - March  ;D

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 10:36:54 am
The best way to prevent rust is to ride south of the equator from October - March  ;D

I'd be all about that ..... Everyone I've ever dealt with from Australia or New Zealand has been a straight up, good fella ..... I could ride from place to place, pick up a little work and just visit for six months - then come back to the tundra in the spring .... PERFECT!  ;D