Author Topic: Quake in Japan  (Read 6158 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
on: March 11, 2011, 07:03:51 pm
The videos of the water rushing through is scary.  So devastating.  I'm not gonna post them, but I copy/pasted this bit of info below.

"Japanese media reported at least 1,000 people are presumed dead from Friday's massive 8.9 earthquake, most drowned by the wall of water that swept across the northeast coast of the island nation.
A dam broke early Saturday local time in Fukushima Prefecture, washing away scores more houses in an area where at least 1,800 homes were destroyed by the quake."

Just awful.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 07:06:46 pm
did u see that water just flowing like out of a hollywood set....they'll be lucky if only a 1000 perish....they are always prerparing for these kind of events but are u ever really ready....it's just awful....
Oh Magoo you done it again

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:06:28 pm
It was just reported that the nuclear plant took a hit, and the reactor cooling system is broken.
They are looking at a potential nuclear reactor melt-down.
Reports say that they are going to let some radioactive gas out to help relieve some of the pressure, and the US is sending special equipment and personnel there to try to assist them in avoiding a Chernobyl type event.

So, they are facing the triple disasters of earthquakes, tsunamis, AND nuclear reactor melt-down, all at once!
It's horrible!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:08:44 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:11:40 pm
It was just reported that the nuclear plant took a hit, and the reactor cooling system is broken.
They are looking at a potential nuclear reactor melt-down.
Reports say that they are going to let some radioactive gas out to help relieve some of the pressure, and the US is sending special equipment and personnel there to try to assist them in avoiding a Chernobyl type event.

So, they are facing the triple disasters of earthquakes, tsunamis, AND nuclear reactor melt-down, all at once!
It's horrible!

Yeah, truly scary.  Talk about getting kicked when you're down!

Eamon
Eamon

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 09:50:29 pm
... and maybe a bit too soon but ... The Japanese 2012 Olympic wind surfing squad must be keen, they've just arrived in Dover. (UK)
arthritis hurts at my age!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 10:23:07 pm
Bad juju all around, I wish the best for them.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:25:49 pm
They are saying some cities or parts of have sunk into the ocean...   :(
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 10:33:47 pm
4 cyl GSX surfboards  ;D
arthritis hurts at my age!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 10:52:52 pm
makes u wonder when its calif turn for the big one...yeah bad juju...we need a witchdoctor or something..

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 11:33:31 pm
Anybody still want nuclear energy as a clean energy source. That only way they can be built here is with a gov't subsidy and waiver on liability. Keep the profits, let the public pay for damage.

Here in the Northwest, we're that kind of quake country and then some, and we're late on the big one that would mirror Japan, San Juan de Fuca plate. The Republicans want to cut tsunami preparedness funding. I guess, if you live on the coast, you accept the risk.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 11:48:00 pm
of course u do..if u live in new Orleans u  play a different game...Oklahomaand parts of the soutn/terrible tornadoes...human beings can't hold back water forever or stop the wind..u take what is given and hope for the best..good luck and get a hard hat...

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 12:39:13 am
it was bad..  reports coming in still.. they are in the ring of fire..

And GreenMachine said get a hard hat.

I need one of those when I go into my garage it seems.. 2 days ago I opened the door , walked in, heard this crashing noise..  bent over and got a glancing blow on my butt from my nail gun falling off an 8 foot shelf..   :o  guess a squirrel got in there and moved things around a bit

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 02:08:59 am
The news footage left us speechless. Our prayers and support go out to those affected.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 02:15:18 am
its unbelievable and shows how insignificant we can be in a few minutes against mother nature...its terrible to think of the suffering to come and the anguished  search for survivor. 

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 02:19:39 am
Anybody still want nuclear energy as a clean energy source. That only way they can be built here is with a gov't subsidy and waiver on liability. Keep the profits, let the public pay for damage.

Here in the Northwest, we're that kind of quake country and then some, and we're late on the big one that would mirror Japan, San Juan de Fuca plate. The Republicans want to cut tsunami preparedness funding. I guess, if you live on the coast, you accept the risk.

Hey joe.

Japan just got kicked in the guts, hard,,,,,,,,many dead,,,,,,many missing,,,

How about saving your rhetoric and proselytizing for another thread ?

No matter where you go, there, you are.