Author Topic: Blinker issue and a roadtrip tomorrow, can somebody help out?  (Read 3172 times)

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
I have a trip in the morning and now I have ran into a slight speedbump, here are the symptoms...

-No rear left blinker.
-Front left blinker is blinking twice as fast.
-Already replaced rear blinker to no avail.

If anybody could help me out I would truly appreciate it. I fear that I have a short somewhere but hopfully the ground is just loose. (By the way, where does that blinker ground?).

-Jake
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Call me if you dont get an expert answering.
Al, bmw of fresno
559-292-2269
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
I don't know if the new bikes have a ground return from the signals or if they are just grounded via the light bracket.

I would use a multimeter to see if you getting voltage to the rear socket and check the grounding on the thing.    No voltage = loose connector,  worse case you might need to pull off the brake light/tag housing it as there are connectors under it.

If nothing works you can alway use hand signals.. I do since my signals fell off... 

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

YJake

• Scooter
I'm gong to take the housing apart and have a look see. I don't have the meter to check for continuity but I do have a test light and will poke around some.

I may not get a chance to respond after this tonight, but will keep reading and when I get to where I'm going I'll try to respond.

-Jake

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
I don't know if the new bikes have a ground return from the signals or if they are just grounded via the light bracket.

@Gary - The new bikes have a ground via the Tail Light in the Circuit diagram.  Did not see ground return from the rear signals in the diagram.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:37:47 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
The front is blinking twice as fast because only one light is working.  It's a safety feature of the blinker so you can easily tell when a bulb burns out.  Once you get the other one working it will be fine.

A test light should be all you need, especially if it's one of the nice pointy screwdriver types you can poke into wires with.  You can start by testing in the socket, then try socket hot with chassis ground, then move up along the wire towards the front of the bike until you get juice.

It's good to take the signal housing apart and look there, maybe pull the main tail light housing and look in there too.   If you replaced the bulb and it's still not working a connection may have come loose somewhere.  Check for a loose connector near the steering tube.  They come apart here often since the bars are always moving back and forth.  There's also a pinch point under the back left part of the fuel tank where a gold mounting bracket crosses the wiring loom.  Check that. 

If none of those solve it get a soild chassis ground with your test light and start working along the wiring loom from front to back until you find the place where you lose electricity. 

Good luck!

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
 When my turn signals quit the first thing I do is clean up the socket using a gun bore brush and apply some dielectric grease to the base and contacts of the bulb. Usually saves me a lot of troubleshooting   ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
thats a great idea and got  a tube somewhere...
Oh Magoo you done it again

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Yep, pertty easy. Pull the one bolt off, holding the tail lamp and trafficators from the inside back fender.

Now, its either the Black wire, or the Green wire that has come loose from the Bullet connectors.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

YJake

• Scooter
Got it solved folks!

I took the taillight housing apart at night, in the dark, while it was raining (Regular Enfield wrenching circumstances I gather ::)) and it turns out the plastic connector for the left turn signal had come undone somehow from vibes inside the housing. Kind of odd since they are the "snap together and break trying to separate" type. I wrapped the wires in electrical tape as well as the connectors to keep this from happening again anytime soon.  ;)

Thanks for the input and wiring diagram, it was all very insightful and helpfull.  :)

Happy Travels,
-Jake

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 01:28:03 pm
Good deal..

Wish you luck on the trip.  Looks like rain all day today..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *