aboard

Author Topic: Alternative Saddlebags  (Read 7409 times)

dogboy443

• Future RE Enthusiast
  • Neophyte
Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 11:17:11 am
Between the two bags and the outside small pockets and the different compartments, it gives me plenty of space for extra cables and tools on one side and extra shirt, socks, gloves etc on the other side. the leather is firm enough to give support to soft items, I have the tools etc wrapped in ziplocks just in case of rain, puddles and to not tear up the interior fabric green liner. The leather smell wasn't bad, I left them air our out in the garage and their fine.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 06:27:12 pm
I have the tools etc wrapped in ziplocks just in case of rain, puddles and to not tear up the interior fabric green liner.

I did that once - in a tool bag strapped to the rear rack, hanging over the tail light housing.  300 miles later, it was time to rethink that plan - ziplocks and tool bag liner all ruined!  Never underestimate the power of vibrating sockets... ;)

dogboy443

• Future RE Enthusiast
  • Neophyte
Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 09:31:48 pm
I'll keep an eye on the bag conditions.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 07:45:19 am
   I snagged the only set of Saddlemen bags from CMW. In their words, they were experimental so they could figure how to mount them, but had no luck.
   Saddlemen bags don't have much, if any, mounting hardware. The only instructions come for the snap clip at the bottom, so I stared at them for a while to see how to get them to mount on my Electra saddlebag mounts.
   Pic #1:   I started with 2 each 1.5" (38.1mm) aluminum extrusion cut to 11" (279mm) with a notch cut in to allow for the upper mount, then drilled and attached with 3/4" (19mm) rubber lined clamps.
   I had originally thought of using only the clamps attached directly to the bag, but the angle extrusions eliminate stress on the clamps by resting directly on TOP of the clamps and upper run of the saddlebag mount, providing all the support needed for the loads I put in my saddlebags.
   Pic #2:   Shows the nut clips and ability to tilt up the support.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:52:19 am by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 08:01:47 am
   Pic #3: Shows attachment of the bag using two each quick attach knurled handled screws. The wall of the bag is 1/8" (3.18mm) Kydex, so it's plenty tough enough to handle the loads. I added a split lock washer and wide area washer to allow for snugging it up without damaging either the nylon washer supplied or the Kydex.
   Pic #4: With the bag mounted I can unsnap the bottom and pivot it up if needed to give me room to work.  :)

Took a couple hours and about $20.00 in parts.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:04:38 am by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 08:54:15 am
Nice leather bags Dogboy and the price ain't bad.
I bought these canvas bags 20 years ago and had em on my Ural and they held up well, now I put em on my Bullet. I think I paid 10 dollars.
Pushrod
Times change, not me.