Author Topic: Restored and custom bike titles?  (Read 2721 times)

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
  • Finally... something exciting between my legs.
on: March 06, 2011, 09:28:01 pm
It just dawned on me that I have no idea how to make my little Benelli street legal.  There was no title, it came in boxes mostly.  I'm sure it depends on the state but has anyone had any experiences with getting lost titles replaced/vins checked?  I'll be so mad if it comes back as stolen (I doubt it).  I'll remove all the shiny bolts I bought, scratch my paint job off and kick it down my driveway before they come to take it back!  >:(

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:36:47 pm
It just dawned on me that I have no idea how to make my little Benelli street legal.  There was no title, it came in boxes mostly.  I'm sure it depends on the state but has anyone had any experiences with getting lost titles replaced/vins checked?  I'll be so mad if it comes back as stolen (I doubt it).  I'll remove all the shiny bolts I bought, scratch my paint job off and kick it down my driveway before they come to take it back!  >:(

There are some states - Southern, mostly, that had NO motor vehicle title laws until about 1978. Anything older than that traded hands with a notarised Bill of Sale. If you look online for "title services" or in Hemmings Motor News, you'll find several agencies that can get you a title with a Bill of Sale for and old heap. There is a title service in Nevada that will do the same. Basically, you "sell" the bike to them with a Bill of Sale, they title it and "sell" it back to you with a legitimate paper document. Beware, however, that you may have to pay for a NCIS title search to make certain the vehicle isn't stolen or on some "list" .... THAT can raise the price of a title document by $300-400 dollars! A little research will go a LONG way here ..... I'm GLAD that you are saving the little bike, BTW - There are TOO many of these little jewels that have gone off to the crusher for a bad spark plug! You'll have a BALL on that little ride .......  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:56:06 pm
In Arkansas I got a "Bonded Title" on one of my relic's, cost about $200, I really think Scooterbob had the best idea.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:57:06 pm
In Arkansas I got a "Bonded Title" on one of my relic's, cost about $200, I really think Scooterbob had the best idea.

Arkansas is one of the Good, Kind, Southern states ........  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:53:35 pm by ScooterBob »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:59:36 pm
 Each state is different, but what i do will the old bikes is to ,get a notarized bill of sale from the person your buying it from, with the info of the bike on it and etc. Take pictures of the bike, take pencil rubbings of the vin # and engine #. An old lic. plate or registration if you got it, as much info as you can. Bring it all down to motor vehicle, and you MAY be OK. This is what I do in Jersey, and I have not had a problem . Give a call to your own state agency, they will tell you. Scooterbob may know better then I, but I believe after a certain amount of time, they don't worry about whether the bike was stolen, maybe after 20 years?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:12:05 pm
Good points. I can add, you should not be too concerned about it being stolen. However you may face a lawsuit restoring it... ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 11:01:17 pm
GHG - Titling of "certain" (read worth some dough!) bikes has become rather difficult in the past couple of years. It USED to be that if the heap was about 20 years old, no one would bother to check it. As often happens with a system like this, some absolute dirtbags took advantage of it with stolen collector bikes - and now you have the extensive search to pay for. B-C will probably be OK with the little Italian jobby - I don't think it's on anyone's radar. Buying a Norton basket case without a title didn't used to be a deal breaker - NOW the cost of a title is approaching $500 for one. This isn't awful IF you plan to keep it - but if you pay $2500 for a pile of parts and it takes you $2500 worth of "stuff" to make it a nice bike again - and you want SOMETHING for your time, a $500 hit is substantial. Again - if it's a "keeper" - not so much .... but a man can't hardly make a dallah beel with that pressure .... !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 11:28:53 pm
  Yea man, DEFINETLY must be figured in the cost !  Makes sense to, I buddy of mine who does Triumphs, I believe he mentioned to me that the Nevada  title route has gone away. at least here. And I should add, that when I did do what I mentioned above, It was always from a person who was the last person the bike was Registered/Titled to. Probably makes a difference in that MV will most likely have a record of that person on there computer .  A totally unknown Bike ?  I don't know?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 02:10:26 am
Well as long as it's not a stolen bike  ::)
It seems registering it in Vermont has worked for quite afew people, check out this link from ADVriders-
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655441&highlight=vermont+registration
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:27:37 am
either way its a big PIA because u are going into DMV with a oddball and 99 percent behind the glass have no idea what u are trying to do....u better do some research and find out from your particular state what the rules are and assuming its doable then proceed with the game plan..go to your local dmv and ask someone in the know..
Oh Magoo you done it again

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 02:30:33 am
I'm going to use the term 'special construction' when I try to get a kit bike legal.. I'll see how that pans out

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 03:03:23 am
I think it's so funny that somene will ask for legal advice on a motorcycle forum, instead of going to the source.  Ask your department of motor vehicles and/or the highway patrol.  There's some kind of provision for kit bikes.  Come to think of it, I think I had to do that my my Enfield...

Anyhoo- lo these many years ago, I put a bike together from parts spanning 1965 to 1982.   As I recall, the Highway Patrol did an inspection and put a VIN plate on the frame.  Bob was, indeed, my uncle.
Run what ya brung

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 03:40:43 am
hell if it was up to us..as long as it pass safety inspection and wasn't stolen   go ahead and register it..but we're not calling the shots....maybe we should be..

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 12:16:22 pm
I'm going to use the term 'special construction' when I try to get a kit bike legal.. I'll see how that pans out

As long as you have the MSO/MCO for the frame and engine you should be good to go.  I assume you are talking about the kicker you are building.  They should have sent you paperwork on both when you bought it.  Of course you'll have to make sure it meets street legality issues in Kentucky.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:19:41 pm by 1Blackwolf1 »
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 12:34:52 pm
  Comment on the original idea.  Here in Wisconsin you can get a hobbyist registration for anything over 20 years old.  You make sure the critter is road legal (modern day standards) then you take it to a DMV or State Patrol station for an inspection.  If it passes you pay about $50 dollars to them for the service and they give you the paperwork to go to the registration station with.  For around 175-200 bucks they give you a non expiring plate and a registration, just you won't receive a title. You can own it legally (here comes the dumb part) but if you resell it the new owner has to go through the same nut roll.

I think Texas is the easiest to deal with from personal experience.  I bought a '62 cad convert off the reservation sans title from the original owner.  We went to the DMV with it on my car hauler.  The clerk came out verified the VIN ran one computer check and for $35 had a legal title/license.  That was nice.

I'm sure there is a legal way to obtain paperwork in your state, your DMV or State Patrol should have the answers. 
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 04:09:16 pm
Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I already attempted twice to get to the DMV and talk to someone.  First time the people had NO CLUE, they ran the VIN number that says it doesn't exist and there is no such thing as a Wards Riverside (cost me like 30 something bucks).  I repeated that it was a 1967 and they acted like there were no motorcycles back then.  :-\  So then a different lady asked me to come back the next day when the head honcho was there.  I did.  Then after waiting 2 and a half hours I decided I hate the DMV and left for lunch.  :P  So I will return and try again with more patience. At that time I had the frame in the back of my truck for them to look at, now it has the motor and everything attached... hope they don't want me to load it up and take it back :(

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 04:12:24 pm
A biker friend of mine has a 'custom motorcycle' license plate that he moves to whatever motorcycle he wants to ride that day.  Which I assume is highly illegal but it seems to work, the cops don't seem to know one old bike from another.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 04:28:03 pm
I looked at that website yesterday but look at those prices!!  what if they consider it a custom? 2000 for a custom??!  :o  I'll try the DMV first...

though I wonder if those are car prices and not motorcycle.  I'm not even 500 into this bike, hate to pay twice that just to get it on the road.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 04:31:41 pm
They are too high for sure, but there are others out there. Get  Hot Rod mag and check the ads.
Iron Butt Association

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 04:34:22 pm
Those folks still think Jesse James sells $80k custom motorcycles. They just want a piece of that. Someone should tell them West Coast Choppers is no more. I have a friend who built a bike last year from a new Paughco frame and a '60s Sportster motor. If you like I can ask how he registered it but that would only apply in California.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 07:18:51 am
  As a lat ditch effort you can always call the Alabama DMV and see what they can do for you.  Just saying they have  some strange ways you can register a car.  I registered a car there while stationed in Maryland a few moons back.  I'm sure however Arizona knows what the bike is..just have to talk to one person that isn't going on or coming off break at the d(amned) Motor Vehicle Department.  (Also make sure it isn't a Monday or friday).
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 10:36:16 am
I once saw an ad in the back of a motorcycle mag, Wolnecks I think,
that was a title service for problems JUST LIKE YOURS.
    Might have a look- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 03:24:30 pm
Legal Theft.Most dmvs are staffed by idiots.Same all over.It took 3 yrs for me to get Jolly registered in Michigan.Could not ride 'im.Was finally told the computer did not "like"the title numbers,but nobody could figger out why not.Of course,I did not go to the stupid secretary of state office every day.Just when I thought I could maintain something resembling self control.I was finally told that I needed a letter from the president of the manufacturing company in India stating that yes,Enfield India did,in fact,build it.I thought they were kidding.I had all the paper work you get when buying from a foreign manufacturer,but nevermind that.So,I sent a letter off to Enfield and almost before It was possible I had a letter back from a company president making the desired statement.
 Just to say that you need to keep the expectation level kinda low.And good luck to ya,B.C.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 03:50:20 pm
like i said, 98 percent don't have a clue..hey if its not in the computer database " i don't know" attitude....what you like to hear is  that's strange, let me see if i can see what the problem is or get someone in charge who can answer your question..good luck in your endeavor but better to find out now then spend alot of money just to find out bad news..

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 03:22:22 am
wow.. BC  they are making U jump through Major hoops..  and you have to deal with those that don't have a clue..  bummer..  don't give up :)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 03:27:00 am
might as well bring all the bits on a pallet into dmv and ask how u can register this timeless classic..good luck and hope it works out..