Author Topic: Chrome on the Military  (Read 8526 times)

Pythas

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 03:17:47 pm
I got myself a 2002 Army Bullet a couple years ago (didn't end well). Mine had plenty of chrome - which it seems was rare for the US market. The gold Royal Enfield on the tank doesn't come off easily I am afraid. The exuast looks good in flat black tho.

I really wanted the military model, but upon having one discovered the desire to strip it down to a more or less regular bike. When I get another Bullet in the next month or so, it'll be a Deluxe or Classic.

DireWolf

Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 03:48:36 pm
The gold Royal Enfield on the tank doesn't come off easily I am afraid. The exuast looks good in flat black tho.

OK - an experienced tinkerer.  What, specifically, did you do to attempt to remove it? Do you remember? Scrape?  Solvent?  Or just have at it with your fingernails?
I'm pretty serious about getting it off there.

I've seen the white star vinyl decals.....
I have some other Ideas I'm knocking around. 

I'm thinking WWII era noseart, though.  ;)

Something tasteless and politically incorrect, most likely.

But also vinyl, so it could be removed, if I were so inclined.

Juggernaut

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 04:04:30 pm
EXACTLY the route i was thinking as well Direwolf! ;D
Sharks are winners because they don't look back. Becuase they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Pythas

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 09:12:49 pm
The gold Royal Enfield on the tank doesn't come off easily I am afraid. The exuast looks good in flat black tho.

OK - an experienced tinkerer.  What, specifically, did you do to attempt to remove it? Do you remember? Scrape?  Solvent?  Or just have at it with your fingernails?
I'm pretty serious about getting it off there.

I've seen the white star vinyl decals.....
I have some other Ideas I'm knocking around. 

I'm thinking WWII era noseart, though.  ;)

Something tasteless and politically incorrect, most likely.

But also vinyl, so it could be removed, if I were so inclined.

I went after it with solvent gel, scraped it and the paint off that portion, then did a cheep respray. I was going for the Military Surplus turned to Civilian look as opposed to the strait military look.

geoffbaker

Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 07:12:14 pm
I guess mine is the military that comes with chrome, as the wheels and drums are chromed. I like it just the way it is. I think I'll add a couple of accents - a clock on the handlbar maybe... but that's more for use than for looks. Kind of like the chrome tappet and chrome distributor covers tyou can get, though.

As someone already said in this thread - to each their own.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 08:04:34 am
Geoff B

It is really all about what 'takes YOU' isn't it? Some like the black and gold with polished casing. Lovely and smart. I liked the utilitarian look hence my UK Army/Military. I'm just glad as h*ll that I discovered the 'modern old bike' when I did last year and have a lot more time for older bikes now than when I was a young whippersnapper who only appreciated the latest techno wizardry of the Japanese mighty bike industry.

Good too that we are all a bit individualistic and make our bikes the same.  ;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

LJRead

Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 06:38:51 pm
Well for you military aficionados, here are two photos of a Military at auction on Ebay a few months back.  According to the description, the owner had taken real pains to get it right, even down to various bolt heads etc.  Note the black pipe.  I saved the photos because I am always impressed by people who care about things.  My poor eyesight wouldn't allow me near anything military when younger (4F).

[old attachment deleted by admin]

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 07:14:40 pm
Thanks for posting those!  ;D
 Wonder how he did the header/exhaust pipe in that black?

LSM

Ducati 916 'L' twin

LJRead

Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 07:49:56 pm

Asked a guy selling a Moto Guzzi with black pipes a while back about how he painted them - he said that they had gotten pitted from the bike's staying out in the weather, so he sanded them and used flat-back high heat barbecue spray paint, as sold in the hardware stores.  He even offered to throw in the rest of the can if I needed to touch up.

The gold emblems would bother me if I wanted to be strictly military.  I think I would peel them off, if possible, but if the tank had been clear coated, maybe I would sand well and just spray it with the flat military color out of a spray can.  Even the shiny tank and side covers seem an affectation to me.  Notice on the photos above that the fenders seem to have been repainted, they are flat and of a slightly different color.   I would look for a color with some gray in it to give a duller effect.   How about camouflage?

eae0164

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 10:10:51 pm
 I've been slowly but surely trying to get my 2000 military a little less shiny. My next step will be to black out the exhaust with hi-heat flat black paint. As for putting stars on the bikes, even the British used stars on some of their vehicles during WW2. The white star in the circle, or in the segmented circle, was used by us and our allies. I found a dealer on e-bay that makes both types, in any color, in 5" vinyl. I just don't know if I'm going to put them on the tank, the toolboxes, or on the back boxes. Maybe a combo . Either way, mine will eventually, be all matte green and black, as to me, it just looks more military. I saw a picture of an old Harley military bike from WW2, that was all desert tan, so I might go that way, too. Decisions, decisions, decisions... ;D
2000 RE Military model

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 09:10:43 am
White star in the circle? 'D' Day invasion detail as were the stripes on underside of aircraft wings.

Ducati 916 'L' twin

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 01:03:00 pm
"I went after it with solvent gel, scraped it and the paint off that portion, then did a cheep respray. I was going for the Military Surplus turned to Civilian look as opposed to the strait military look. "

I have had some, limited, success in the past using a heat gun to remove vinyl decals.  Just don't get it too hot and burn the paint.  The paint may also get soft along with the decal so be careful not to dig into it with whatever you are scraping with.
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G