Author Topic: Chrome on the Military  (Read 8530 times)

Juggernaut

• Scooter
on: February 05, 2008, 04:58:28 pm
Kind of a weird query but, has\does anyone put any chrome pieces or accents on their military? Would it look strange or unique? The bike looks slammin the way it is, but who doesn't like chrome anything? I guess i could put some olive drab on my toaster to get an idea...

and on that note:
Hey Kevin, any plans for a flash accessory chooser for preview on the bikes in the future? One where we can "build" a bike on line and see our fiendish creations from your wonderful plethora of parts. :D
Sharks are winners because they don't look back. Becuase they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 08:25:04 pm
There are two different styles of these Militaries that I have seen to date.
The 'American' version is I believe all olive drab inc wheel rims, speedo bezel, brake drums etc.

Then there are the UK ones as Watsonian (the importers) seemed to bring in.
These are more chrome showing as in rims, bezels, aluminium drums etc
See my 2003 500ES as an example

If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

DireWolf

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 08:49:27 pm
Chrome?!!

I've been pondering blackening my exhaust.....

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 09:06:03 pm
Something about chrome on a Military just feels very wrong.

:o
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 09:25:13 pm
Fredgold.
Well I thought that the all green ones looked strange because I was only used to the UK version.
I was told by my dealer that Watsonian had these as that is the way they 'thought' that the Indian army had their bikes. It was only later did they see that the rest of the world got the 'all olive green' style. I think that when the inevitable rust gets too bad on the thin Indian chrome rims then at least I can paint them green without losing the 'utilitarian' effect I like.
There is an 'all greenie' in the dealers place at the moment. It has been there some time too. The speedo bezel just has green paint over the chrome and it looks hand painted rather than a spray finish. A slight touch of thumb nail had it scratching off. I stopped quickly; honest!

It also had different tyres; more like semi off road ones. They looked good IMHO

Ducati 916 'L' twin

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 09:31:37 pm
Those are pretty aggressive looking tires - especially compared to what was probably on there as stock.  But it does seem a bike like that should have that sort of "go-anywhere" tire. 

DireWolf

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 09:45:17 pm
I keep suspisciously eyeing those gold "Royal Enfield" on my big green tank.

Would that just peel off?  Doesn't look like there's a clear-coat over it.  Black would look better, to me

My Dad & Father-in-Law are both 'Harley" guys.   I'm the anti-chrome & anti-flash guy....

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 09:52:12 pm
I dunno but, if they do peel off then you.ve gotten rid of some color that doesn't suit you.  If they don't peel off, you will probably wind up with a good reason to do the whole bike in flat black like you may want to anyway.  Looks like a win-win to me!

Monty

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 01:43:55 am
As of right now I don't own a Military RE but I have been looking at them real hard, and the One big factor that has drawn me to them is the military look of the bike.  You will not find chrome on a true military bike. 

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 07:34:08 am
Monty.
Well what you need then is a UK imported bike and leave it oncovered outside for a few months. With the quality of the Indian chrome plate plate being what it is you'll soon find you have a bike wiith no chrome on it then!!!!!!  ;D

Ducati 916 'L' twin

DireWolf

Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 02:21:32 pm
  You will not find chrome on a true military bike. 

That's sort of why I'd like to blacken my pipe.  But I don't want to do it so it turns out looking like a rat-bike.

Then I want to remove the gold lettering on the tank.  Doesn't look right.  Went and stared at it for awhile last night (@#$% winter).  Black would be better.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 03:28:32 pm
It makes me wonder what the actual Indian Army uses. Can it be these chromed piped, plastic non sealed points covered type? I hope not. Has anyone ever seen a true Indian Army ( as in riding to combat) Enfield?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:23:37 pm
Cyrusb
I thought this sort of Army bike was used for general dispatch work and border patrols etc.

DireWolf
I reckon that black 'chrome' would look good on the exhaust system as it has a dark lustre that should be hard wearing and not look like a RatBike at all!!!

Ducati 916 'L' twin

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 12:28:32 am
Also "Gunkote" if they still make it ,has the AR15 color that your looking for. Sprays on from a can and then you bake it for a spell. It really sticks to aluminum, but man does it stink when your baking it.This just in....   Actually they do still make it, Brownells sells it, plus everybody else I'm sure.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 12:33:50 am by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 12:38:55 pm
It makes me wonder what the actual Indian Army uses. Can it be these chromed piped, plastic non sealed points covered type? I hope not. Has anyone ever seen a true Indian Army ( as in riding to combat) Enfield?

I have a picture of one in a book at home. Not quite the same as seeing one up close and personal. It is GREEN. I mean GREEN. It looked like they assembled the bike and dipped it in Olive paint. It definately looks military. It has a black exhaust, not black chrome, just black heat paint I think. No lettering on the tank. I've seen people here remove the lettering on the tank and spray on a white star like the WWII US war bikes had on them. Looks pretty good but it always seemed a bit daft to me as its an Indian bike. To each his own.
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe