Author Topic: Single saddle heads up  (Read 2554 times)

Blackthou

• Scooter
on: January 28, 2008, 09:05:33 pm
My bike had a dealer fittted saddle when I bought it. I removed it recently while cleaning and was surprise to see it held on with 5mm bolts and thin washers behind the nuts which were dished and almost pulled through the eye of the spring mount.

There is a lug on the frame through which the bolt passed. The lug would take an 8mm bolt but the hole in the toolbox was about 7.5mm, so I opened it up to 8mm. I fitted an 8mm bolt (both sides) with sturdy washer and nyloc nut. The saddle feels "more attached" to the bike and more comfortable. I guess it could have failed in time with perhaps serious consequences, hence the heads up.   

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:01:54 pm
Is yours the Watsonian style of saddle such that the springs have vertical loops that go down past the frame and the bolts pass through the toolbox then? Mine are too. I'll check 'em out tomorrow as although I've not noticed a problem, but you can't be too sure can ya?
Others such as the Wassel branded ones seem to have horizontal spring mounts that need additional flat plate brackets to fit these chrome coil springs onto them like the pic below.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:03:33 pm by LotusSevenMan »
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Blackthou

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:01:11 pm
Lotus,
Mine doesn't have horizontal mounts but vertical ones as you say bolting through the toolbox. Having done what I said, the seating is firmer and better IMO as the 8mm bolts are a snug fit through the loops on the seat.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 11:40:40 pm
Had mine collapse the other day while out riding when the steel tongue that has the support springs on it one end then the metal tapers and goes through a slot on the front support bracket and doubles back on itself pulled through! Not nice to ride like that I can tell you.  :o
Well, I dismantled the whole lot and refastened it all together with bolts and heavy duty cable ties to hold those lousy thin steel cover retaining clips etc. Now much more rigid and better sprung and the cover stays in place OK.
I'll change those tool box bolts soon I think (if the quality is as good as those cover clips)!!!!!!!  ;)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 02:16:08 pm
Try valve spring retainers. I fitted some from a small block Ford,with a little grinding and drilling. 
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on