Author Topic: Out of the stable!!!  (Read 3615 times)

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
on: March 04, 2011, 11:48:56 pm
Well it is that time of year.  It was a brisk day here in lower New York.  I pulled my AWESOME bike out of the garage I am allowed to store it in today.  I set it up after the winter as properly as I could and putted my way to my friends auto shop and spent the majority of the day finishing up the spring thaw on it.  You know the drill, tightening things and fixing the broken negative battery lead that snapped off when I put it away for Winter. 

An odd thing happened when I fixed that lead though. When I went to hook up the negative terminal the started would just spin and spin even with the ingnition key turned off.  My buddy  (atuo Mechanic) went through as much as we could.  Ultimately we disconnected the battery and removed it and once it was put back in all was fine.  A very strange thing in deed. 

Spring if here, get your bikes out and watch out for the cages, and left over salt paches and all the nifty potholes that the plows and frost heaves created.  Unless you live in the warmer climes, in that case I hate you.  ;)

Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 12:27:21 am
yeah the salt can pile up and make u slide like sand...glad to c u out n about...ride safe up there and u watch out for those craters in the road..
Oh Magoo you done it again

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:08:51 am
An odd thing happened when I fixed that lead though. When I went to hook up the negative terminal the started would just spin and spin even with the ingnition key turned off.  My buddy  (atuo Mechanic) went through as much as we could.  Ultimately we disconnected the battery and removed it and once it was put back in all was fine.  A very strange thing in deed. 

@Sam:

It is your motrocycle's Solenoid that caused this strange thing - If stuck, it can pass the current even when the ignition key is not in.  Or it is haunted by Terrytown (NY) spirits  ;).
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:37:05 am
Does your passenger seat fit over the luggage that can bolt up there or maybe secured to it? I've got the same bike with the rack and was considering a seat option, from just laying a gel seat over the rack  when needed or getting the whole seat. I've been riding all winter in rainy Seattle and so far none of those electrical issues. Fingers crossed, knock wood, and I use the kick start 98% of the time.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 01:59:33 am
@Sam:

It is your motrocycle's Solenoid that caused this strange thing - If stuck, it can pass the current even when the ignition key is not in.  Or it is haunted by Terrytown (NY) spirits  ;).

Do you think I should replace the solenoid?  I am still under warranty after all.  I did work a show at the Tarrytown Music Hall before the new year.  Maybe them damn Hessian ghosts snuck in then.

2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 02:01:39 am
Does your passenger seat fit over the luggage that can bolt up there or maybe secured to it? I've got the same bike with the rack and was considering a seat option, from just laying a gel seat over the rack  when needed or getting the whole seat. I've been riding all winter in rainy Seattle and so far none of those electrical issues. Fingers crossed, knock wood, and I use the kick start 98% of the time.

I belive I got the clasic sprung pillion.  It replaces the luggage rack on the back.  The frame beneath the luggage rack stays of course.  I hope that makes it clear.
Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 02:43:46 am
That's what I figured. I don't have much use for the seat, unfortunately, so I'll stick to a solo with occasional changes unless things change. That luggage rack seems pretty sturdy! Thanx.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 03:07:34 am
That's what I figured. I don't have much use for the seat, unfortunately, so I'll stick to a solo with occasional changes unless things change. That luggage rack seems pretty sturdy! Thanx.

Rock solid.
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 08:05:17 am
The starter solenoid is your culprit. I had the exact same thing - solenoid replaced under warranty. Others here have reported similar. The new solenoids are apparently better quality Jap units.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:35:15 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 08:55:17 pm
Do you think I should replace the solenoid?  I am still under warranty after all.  I did work a show at the Tarrytown Music Hall before the new year.  Maybe them damn Hessian ghosts snuck in then.

@Sam:  

If it happens again or the bike does not start due to defect in the starter solenoid (provided the battery is fully charged) then definitely replace it.  On the other hand, it may have been an isolated incidence.

Just for peace of mind, check with your dealer if he has 'new' solenoid - since WillW got it replaced with a 'new and better' quality one.   He can also test its resistance (4 to 5 ohms according to Service Manual).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:00:10 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 09:14:16 pm
from what i can see its just your typical mechanical/wire wound electrmagnet contact closure switch/relay..if the internal mtal contact is marginal, too much of a voltage drop will develop over the relay  and not enough voltage will get to the starter..u know those starters like the juice.....one thing for sure its a better way to control 12 volts vice hitting the starter with the cable end of the battery..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 12:11:00 am
Sounds good fellas.  Right now I am waiting for the weather to get a little better so I can take it to a nedw dealer that opened up and is closer to me.

As of right now the starter has been taken out of the circuit and it is currently kick start only.

We shall see what happens.
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY