Author Topic: Question for c5 owners  (Read 13411 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 07:08:26 pm
I drive a Neon, so i too know the life behind the wheel of an econocompact.  I wager the UCE would treat you better in every respect than your geo metro... until it rains.

karthiv

• C5 Military
  • Scooter
Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 12:20:31 am
I personally feel, people are underestimating C5 and it's workability.
Second that....  For the better part of my childhood, I spent every summer in a hot and dusty little village in south India that had no real roads. I saw the Bullet used more or less the way people used their ox-carts (which was typically the other vehicle in the household) including carrying produce (every morning) to market in the nearest town (big baskets piled high and strapped to the rear seat) etc,  over rutted dirt paths.  It seems like the C5 will live up to the standard of ruggedness of its ancestors, if RE expects them to retain their place in the Indian market.
2011 C5 Military

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 01:13:03 am
Second that....  For the better part of my childhood, I spent every summer in a hot and dusty little village in south India that had no real roads. I saw the Bullet used more or less the way people used their ox-carts (which was typically the other vehicle in the household) including carrying produce (every morning) to market in the nearest town (big baskets piled high and strapped to the rear seat) etc,  over rutted dirt paths.  It seems like the C5 will live up to the standard of ruggedness of its ancestors, if RE expects them to retain their place in the Indian market.

You are SO right! The C5 is ALL Enfield when it comes to that sort of durability under extreme conditions. It makes me smile sometimes when I see things on the bike that are about three times stronger than dump truck parts ..... because:
A.) It's an Enfield!
B.) They get USED for little trucks .....
C.) None of the engineers were ever trained to make stuff flimsy .....
D.) They have ALWAYS been that way ...... see "A" .....  ;)

I've treated one pretty harshly ..... and when you wipe it off at the end of the day after a battering - it's just fine. THAT is an endearing quality to me ....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 10:59:05 am
I am quite interested in the "new"  Bullet Black (frumpy fender one based on Bullet 350)   Seems to me  that it is the one with the decades long  endurance legacy (on the chassis) and now that it is upgraded with disc brake and UCE engine/5speed etc, it is perfect.  I wonder, (SB) if thre are any other repects besides body panels in which it differs from new G 5s /C 5s .  For instance, swing arm bushings vs bearings, , wheel bearings, steering column bearings etc.  In other words, what other "modernization" would you miss by buying the Bullet Black.   thanks, Nigel.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 05:10:46 pm
Nigel, while the C5 has a new frame and fork (slightly less travel than the C5) the biggest differences are geometry.  I'm sure the C5 chassis will last as long as any previous bullet.  There are far more similarities than differences.

Scott

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 05:24:17 pm
Thanks Scot.   I know about the geometry differences between the C 5 and G 5 frames.  (My choice id between G 5 and Bullet Black)  I just wondered if the old 350 frame (neither G 5 or C5 ) is different   Thanks. Nigel.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 05:30:20 pm
I am quite interested in the "new"  Bullet Black (frumpy fender one based on Bullet 350)   Seems to me  that it is the one with the decades long  endurance legacy (on the chassis) and now that it is upgraded with disc brake and UCE engine/5speed etc, it is perfect.  I wonder, (SB) if thre are any other repects besides body panels in which it differs from new G 5s /C 5s .  For instance, swing arm bushings vs bearings, , wheel bearings, steering column bearings etc.  In other words, what other "modernization" would you miss by buying the Bullet Black.   thanks, Nigel.

Nigel - I haven't been lucky enough to get my grubby paws on one of these yet - but here what I'm BETTING on for that bike since it is the hands down favourite of the IDM:

o-ring chain for durability (confirmed with engineers)
Delrin swing arm bushes for durability (shares the "lowers" with G5 I think ...)
Steering bearings will still be loose balls - they WORK and they are cheap to service
Stiffer frame - the result of re-engineering the "lowers" to accept the UCE
MODERN wiring harness with weather tight connectors for critical functions

plus all the things that make that bike "truck worthy" that have BEEN there for 60 years. As I've said before - this is EXACTLY the bike that I'd build for myself if I had the run of the Royal Enfield India parts bins. Mine would be Parrot Green or Peacock Blue, of course ......  ::)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 05:46:27 pm
Nigel - I haven't been lucky enough to get my grubby paws on one of these yet - but here what I'm BETTING on for that bike since it is the hands down favourite of the IDM:

o-ring chain for durability (confirmed with engineers)
Delrin swing arm bushes for durability (shares the "lowers" with G5 I think ...)
Steering bearings will still be loose balls - they WORK and they are cheap to service
Stiffer frame - the result of re-engineering the "lowers" to accept the UCE
MODERN wiring harness with weather tight connectors for critical functions

plus all the things that make that bike "truck worthy" that have BEEN there for 60 years. As I've said before - this is EXACTLY the bike that I'd build for myself if I had the run of the Royal Enfield India parts bins. Mine would be Parrot Green or Peacock Blue, of course ......  ::)

Oh please ! I am so sure you would add a carburetor to it. I would.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 06:03:44 pm
Thanks SB (and others)   One last question (for today anyway) .  Do you think that I could put an 18 tooth sprocket on the counter- shaft sprocket of the Bullet Black ?  (I am guessing yes since it shares a lot in common with the G 5) .  Another plus of ths bike I have mentioned before is all the touring gear designed for Bullet 350s should fiit right on (rear carriers with gas can holders, metal panniers etc)  Nigel.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 06:43:59 pm
Nigel ..... I would!!  ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 07:00:35 pm
Hmmm....

You might need to take off the polished aluminum engine side covers and have them bead blasted.  I don't know if all that shinyness suits the character of the Bullet Black. ;)

Scott

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 07:21:06 pm
I live for contrast and ambiguity.  I can take it. Nigel

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 09:48:41 pm
Hmmm....

You might need to take off the polished aluminum engine side covers and have them bead blasted.  I don't know if all that shinyness suits the character of the Bullet Black. ;)

Scott

.....or leave it out one winter ....... same effect, less effort .......  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 10:14:55 pm
Entropy and apathy take the win!

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 12, 2011, 09:52:31 am
LOL.  All I know is I rode the *&^% out of my C5 last year.   I was not gentle.  There was no gradual engineer-approved break-in. 

It still runs.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"